Every other week weight loss

Options
It seems like I only lose weight every other week, anyone else experience this? I will get discouraged because I didn't lose anything one week and then the next I will have a loss. I have noticed that on "The Biggest Loser" they too seem to say that when they are coming off a good week of weight loss they expect a lower week to follow. It can be discouraging.

Replies

• nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Girl you are not alone. I too battle the every two week BS. I also battle the lose 2 gain 1 BS. I have been trying different plans to try to get to steady every week. Right now I am trying the TDEE method. 3 weeks gained 1 pound, week four lost 2, week 5 gained 2. Here we go again.
  • TxcMommaHays
    Options
    I know what you mean. I started trying to lose weight about 3 weeks ago. My first weigh in I lost 11 pounds the first week!!! I was so excited!!! I stuck with the same eating pattern and the same exercises....my second week i only lost .4 pounds!!! what a let down!!! my family keeps telling me that a loss is a loss and to be happy. i am sticking with it...hoping next week will be better. good luck to you with it too!
  • bsmithmia
    bsmithmia Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    FYI, on the biggest loser their "weeks" can range from 10 -14 days of 6 hours of working out a day if not more. Don't compare your results to this because those are not "real world" conditions. Also, try to weigh yourself right when you wake up for the most accurate results and consistency. Keep in mind, weight loss starts out fast and then as your body becomes accustomed to doing exercise the weight is harder to lose. Keep it up, the hard work will pay off.
  • karriearm
    karriearm Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I know "The Biggest Loser" is not real life, I am just saying that even with that extreme controlled weight loss situation they seem to have a good week followed by a bad week. It just gives me hope!
  • pippacont
    pippacont Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    How about weighing in once every 2 or 4 weeks?
  • karriearm
    karriearm Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    How about weighing in once every 2 or 4 weeks?

Yeah, that would be good if I weren't so obsessive, right? : )
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Yes!! Did weight watchers few years back and would only lose weight that way. Just became something to expect. Least it's double the following week. Don't worry.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You get discouraged because we (particularly in the Western world) tend to be be linear thinkers...but weight loss isn't linear. Nobody losses exactly X Lbs per week or .X Lbs per day. You have to look at it over a much longer period of time...weeks and months...then it averages out to the X Lbs per week goal, or pretty close to it.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely not alone on this - most people lose weight in differing amounts each week.

Last week I lost nothing then I went hiking over the weekend and put on 4lbs (probably due to my muscles retaining water as they repaired themselves). Today I got on the scales and I've lost 6lbs (so 2lbs once it balances out). I swear I should throw my scales away!

I'm using the roadmap and no matter what the scales say each day, I know it will even out to a steady weight loss (it's working really well for me): http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8017-in-place-of-a-road-map
  • onlythetancan
    Options
    ME toooooo :( I seem to gain a few hundred grams one week then the next week i lose 1 kg!
    I guess its a good slow weight loss but a small loss every week would be more motivating!