Fat is fat ,not chubby or big boned

Options
(bad English skills incoming )

So today i was cleaning out my closet of stuff i don't need and found an old worn pair of jeans from 8th grade.
Decided to try them before throw them away and what do you know,they not only fit me but i actually had to get a belt to hold them.
I showed my find to my mother and asked about it and she said "you were not fat ,you were chubby".
Yeah right ,"chubby".
I have a question for all the parents here.Is it really that hard to tell if your child is overweight ? is it true that 51% of parents can't identify when their children are obese ?Whats up with the chubby, big boned, puppy fat nonsense.Seriously why people allow their own them children to become fat in the first place and them try to denied it ?
I'm pretty sure i'd have been happier as a child if i was not fat and constantly teased and called soffa (cause my name rhymes with soffa in my language ) .

Replies

• rachel4304
    rachel4304 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    If I had to guess, having an overweight kid reflects badly on the person's parenting skills. Denial is a wonderful thing for some people. The majority of parents I know think they are good parents -- some are iffy at best.

ETA: I'm very aware of the weight of my kids and the other children in my life. My kids are underweight which we are dealing with. One of my nieces has a slight problem which is being ignored by mom. My other niece works out with me three times a week (teenager) to improve herself -- her decision, not moms.
  • grelca
    grelca Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think it's probably more denial than actually not being able to tell.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    If I had to guess, having an overweight kid reflects badly on the person's parenting skills. Denial is a wonderful thing for some people. The majority of parents I know think they are good parents -- some are iffy at best.
    i think its this mostly.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else, but my children go for their well-child visits every year. I get to know, by doctors determination, where my children fit on the scale. My eldest is perfect height and weight. My youngest is underweight. The pediatrician wasn't worried about it as she was hitting all of her milestones and was content.

I'm pretty sure I'd be able to judge if/when I'm concerned about my child's overall health.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else, but my children go for their well-child visits every year. I get to know, by doctors determination, where my children fit on the scale. My eldest is perfect height and weight. My youngest is underweight. The pediatrician wasn't worried about it as she was hitting all of her milestones and was content.

I'm pretty sure I'd be able to judge if/when I'm concerned about my child's overall health.
    agree about the well child check ups - though my kids pediatrician doesnt see them every year anymore... but at 5 and 6 they are both healthy and happy and whenever he DOES see them, he always comments about how the two of them are a couple of the healthiest kids he sees *shrug*
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I would NEVER call my child "fat", "chubby", or "big bone". I will do my best to raise them to be healthy, active, individuals. I will serve a wide variety of food in my house including fruits, vegetables, and treats. I will try to help them establish healthy relationships with their food. And most importantly I will teach them that their self worth is not dependent on what the kids at school say, or on their outward appearance.
  • Queenb1212
    Queenb1212 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Wow! Why so critical? If you are on this website trying to lose weight, are you leading your children by example? You cared enough about controlling their weight but not your own. Does that make you a perfect or bad parent? Are you in denial??? BE REAL! My mother loved and adored me and spoiled me (to an extent) and I would dare anyone to say she had bad parenting skills. I grew up overweight, but a beautiful person on the inside (& out) and my mom loved everybody. Let's not be so critical at calling out someone's parenting skills. I'd rather my child be overweight than be an absolute spoiled brat or killer. My mother and grandfather would talk to me about my weight, but school kids and teenagers will get what they want however they want. I don't know of any responsible parents that doesn't want the best for their child, as I'm sure your parents wanted the best for you. Judgemental vs. REALism.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    What about fluffy?
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    To me, chubby means fat; there's no difference.
  • cardinalsfootball
    cardinalsfootball Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I think we give loved ones the benefit of the doubt. Especially girls, considering "body image" issues.

I also know that both of my brothers in law aren't fat, they are OBESE. Not as obese as me, but within the ballpark.

And yet both of their wives were indignant when I casually mentioned they were fat as well. And they sure as heck don't think of themselves as fat either.

So I do think people can be blinded.
  • livingwithlam
    Options
    Wow! Why so critical? If you are on this website trying to lose weight, are you leading your children by example? You cared enough about controlling their weight but not your own. Does that make you a perfect or bad parent? Are you in denial??? BE REAL! My mother loved and adored me and spoiled me (to an extent) and I would dare anyone to say she had bad parenting skills. I grew up overweight, but a beautiful person on the inside (& out) and my mom loved everybody. Let's not be so critical at calling out someone's parenting skills. I'd rather my child be overweight than be an absolute spoiled brat or killer. My mother and grandfather would talk to me about my weight, but school kids and teenagers will get what they want however they want. I don't know of any responsible parents that doesn't want the best for their child, as I'm sure your parents wanted the best for you. Judgemental vs. REALism.

^ THIS. So much. And like someone else said, I've also used the term "fluffy" before...