workout clothes

Options
While i enjoy people applauding my stength and determination, when my body is giving me a round of applause during my workout , i am not quit so pleased. I am looking for inexpensive, supportive ( no pun intended ) workout clothes. What do you recomend?

Replies

• dizzimamma
    Options
    Anyone?!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for. I love Under Armour, but they're not exactly inexpensive. (And, I don't really work out in my UA stuff, mostly lounge around! ;)) I've had good luck with the Champion line that Target carries as well as Old Navy's active stuff. Neither has the best, most supportive sports bras, I love my Nike one for that, and I covet a few different moving Comfort sports bras.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I like Target sports bras (C9), old navy active stuff. Old Navy is not that expensive and goes on sale a lot.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I wait for Nike gear to go on sale - dri-fit technology helps to avoid chafing and they last forever
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I wait for Nike gear to go on sale - dri-fit technology helps to avoid chafing and they last forever

Hooray for dri-fit!! I bought items in bulk as soon as I wore one shirt I purchased at JCP.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    For the summer, a sports bra and compression shorts. For winter, just a t-shirt and yoga pants if I'm working out indoors. If I want to run in the cold, I wear a long sleeved compression shirt underneath a sweater and sweatpants.

It all depends what makes you feel comfortable.
  • Andrea0971
    Options
    If you are looking for plus-size workout clothes, Old Navy has some online. I haven't tried any of their compression items. I have a few of the Go-Dry shirts and I like them. Just beware that the material is somewhat thin and some bras may show through the lighter colors. But they seem to do a good job of wicking off the sweat and evaporating. I've tried a couple of their sports bras and they are adequate for low impact activities like walking, but don't stand up to things like jumping if you have larger breasts. I may try the next size down to see if that provides better support. Honestly though, I think to get adequate support for larger breasts you probably have to find a bra that's got a regular band with hooks and normal bra sizing. My experience has been if the band and bra is stretchy enough or big enough to pull over my breasts, it's going to be too stretchy or large to contain them.

I've also found some items at Kohls.com, but that's mostly been the their "Tek Gear" performance t-shirts. They fit well and help evaporate the sweat a bit. They also have quite a few sports bras online.

I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for, but I know I've had trouble just finding anything besides regular cotton tees and shorts in larger sizes. And heaven help me if I actually want pockets in my workout pants!!!

Either place can be reasonably priced when you have a coupon code. And if you go to the kohl's store and order from the kiosk, shipping is free. Good luck!!

Good luck!!
  • dizzimamma
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I hate working out with anyone around. It can be so discouraging.:flowerforyou:
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I like the danskin brand from walmart for cheap work out clothes. If you want an investment get some nike pants, might cost you $50-$60 but they last along time.
  • bandomom13
    bandomom13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I buy the black capri leggings from Old Navy, and tops there too. I am very comfortable with these and I find them reasonable. I do however buy a good shoe, I do Zumba so I buy the light wieght Nike Flex they are so comfortable. I also buy from the site Zumba Raceback Tanks, they are colorful and very comfortable, these run very small, so you must size up. My sister started the gym and bought these tanks, she loves em.. Good Luck
  • Lexi507
    Lexi507 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've got a couple Sonoma yoga pants from Kohl's that I love. They got on sale a lot and if you have the Kohl's card you almost always can get a discount. I also love the Plus size tee shirts from JC Penney. I don't normally wear Plus size, but the tee shirts are (1) inexpensive, (2) not tight across the chest and (3) cover my butt. I also love the dri-fit, but they cost a lot.
  • Katia_B
    Options
    Not sure if this helps, but as an uncomfortably busty gal, I invest in a holds-me-in-place bra and then save money on the pants and tops by buying Old Navy and Target (Champions) items. I make sure I get items that coordinate (even if it's just color) because that and the supportive bra make me feel like I look a little more "put together" while I'm a sweaty mess.

I had luck finding the bra online at Her Room, but I know the activewear sizing is more limited than their regular bra sizing :ohwell:

Good luck and congrats on your progress!!!
  • tarafitness
    Options
    maybe have a look at the Nike 'Indy' range. I have three of their tops, e.g.: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nike-Indy-Long-Ladies-Colbalt/dp/B008FK1RSG

it's got a built in bra so I use on its own for weight training and then wear an additional sports bra afterwards if I'm doing anything more bouncy, lol ;-) plenty of support in that way.

Also, really flattering cut and washes very well.
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I love Old Navy active compression pants. Their sports bras are not bad either.. I have not used their shirts yet-most of the ones I have are New Balance.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I buy all my workout gear from TJMaxx/Marshall's. I usually wear a sports bra (I have a bunch of different brands and don't have a favorite), tank top, and compression capris. Shorts ride up (no thanks!) and pants are too hot, plus the compression capris hold everything in place when I'm bouncing around. Hope that helps!
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I agree re: waiting for Nike sports bras to go on sale... I don't need that much support, but the ones that I have last forever. And I notice that when I'm shopping the sale racks, they always seem to have L and XL left (of course I'm looking for S or M :-)
    You can also always double up on the cheaper, less supportive stuff.

Good luck!
  • Xhell_on_heelsX
    Options
    I love danskin pants and just a sports bra and a baggy shirt...I too sometimes hate working out around other people..hence the baggy shirt haha. No sports bra or shorts for this girl just yet. Feel free to add me too! I need some more friends! :flowerforyou:
  • tamerita48
    tamerita48 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    TJ Maxx has really awesome workout clothes for really cheap! I like the stretchy pants and sports bras!
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Plain t-shirt/sweatshirt and shorts/bottoms that allow full range of motion. Couldn't care less about style.

To quote Mos Def - Sunshine

'Cause I move to strong
    And I know what my feet move for (Let the sunshine in)
    Made it go without a brand new car
    Made it fresh without a brand new song
    And give a **** about what brand you are (The suns shining')
    I'm concerned what type of man you are
    What your principles and standards are
    You understand me y'all
  • acrichey07
    Options
    I will echo someone's previous suggestion and say to go cheaper on the pants, shorts, shirt, etc., but splurge on the bra, especially if you really area looking for 'supportive.' I like to do dance/aerobic type workouts just because they keep me interested and I don't get bored (but this would also apply to running/treadmill/possibly even the elliptical), and I am definitely not lacking in the chest area, so I have to have good bras. Nike has been mentioned a lot, and I like the dri-fit fabric and I love their running shorts and pants, but their bras don't do anything for me. I've even down-sized (I'm a 36-D and I own a medium and even squeezed myself into a small once, to no avail) and though the band is tight around my ribs, the support still isn't there and there is a lot of movement. And that was from a bra I bought at a Nike store from their 'high impact' collection, so it's not like I was just shopping from a small selection. The only bras that I have found that I am comfortable in during my higher impact activities are Moving Comfort. They're amazing. They have them in low, medium, and high impact ranges and there are several different styles for each. Both of the ones I have use a triple-hook closure in the back and are sized by actual bra sizes, not S/M/L. They also have adjustable straps. They are at least an inch wide, so they don't dig into your shoulders, but they double back on themselves and velcro closed so you can make them as long/short as you need for more support. Many people have stated that Nike will 'last forever,' which I don't disagree with, but so will Moving Comfort. The first one I got I ordered on Amazon. The second I got at the Expo at a marathon Hubby was running. They're both amazing. Not cheap, but well worth it. And you can totally skimp on the shorts/pants and just wear baggy t-shirts you already have.

Hope this helps.