Mashed cauliflower

Options

Replies

• harrisbs
    harrisbs Posts: 1
    Options
    I once saw a low carb themed episode on Rachel Ray's cooking show where she made mashed cauliflower. It was low carb but not sure about the fat. You might try the food network website or just a general google search on "mashed cauliflower recipes."
  • dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    I missed cauliflower.:smile: Great ideas (including the soup, that sounds yummy).
  • Nener
    Nener Posts: 116
    Options
    I LOVE this. I wanted to mention that just the cauliflower is 14 cals per 1/2 cup. So I use Molly Mc Butter and a little bit of ff cream cheese and have a huge serving for less than 50 cals. It is very filling
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    yum! I've steam or boil a trimmed head of cauliflower in veg or chicken broth until very tender. Then mash with a potato masher. That's, usually, all and it's yummy! A little milk makes it creamier. This is an excellent substitute for mashed potatoes, particularly for diabetics! All of your ideas sound great and I can't wait to try them!
  • JenUB
    JenUB Posts: 84
    Options
    I've done the cauliflower in soup before to make a thick, heavy base. My husband even likes it!!!!!.....And he won't eat any veggies. I usually put it in the food processor before boiling in the broth. Can't wait to try the faux mashed potatoes and rice. Great ideas!
  • Suzanita
    Suzanita Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kathp
    kathp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This one is from the South Beach Diet for Mashed Cauliflower:

4 cups cauliflower florets
    1 ounce butter flavored cooking spray
    1 fluid ounce fat-free half-and-half
    Pinch salt
    Pinch freshly ground black pepper
    Directions

Steam or microwave the cauliflower until soft. Puree in a food processor, adding the butter spray and the half-and-half to taste. Season with salt and pepper.

Be careful to not use too much fat-free half-and-half otherwise, it's too runny. Not bad but some of the other recipes posted sounds really good.
  • mom2mykiddos
    mom2mykiddos Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    These recipes sound so good. Thanks!
  • SraArroz
    SraArroz Posts: 238
    Options
    I like to add cheese to mine along with the bacon bits... yum. Not low calorie, but so very satisfying.

The thought of grating it and frying it sounds too delish!
  • antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    Options
    i never thought of mashing cauliflower.... i gotta try this =]
  • NewImprovedCnbethea1
    Options
    Here's what my wife and I do. These taste AWESOME.

cauliflower florettes (of course) boiled or steamed (however you like) until tender.
    about 1/4 cup of fat free sour cream
    garlic powder
    low fat parmigiana cheese (to taste)
    optional - bacon bits (give it a bit of a smokey flavor, without adding much in the way of calories)

We use a hand mixer (one of the pampered chef stand up single blade mixers works awesome for this)

they come out nice, creamy, and delicious. and still only about 145 calories per 1 cup serving.
    I use ff greek yogurt as sour cream has the same flavor pretty much and you get a higher source of protein you should try it!!!
  • NewImprovedCnbethea1
    Options
    All of these receipes sounds so very tastey!! I have to try them out I love cauliflower and my kids will be happy we are trying something new with there white broccoli as they call it!!!
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I love it mashed ,makes a great topping for a shephards pie .Also love it in a curry :)
  • chronosfire
    Options
    Bump! I have to try these out some time! I suppose instead of boiling them I could steam them with broth in my rice cooker. That thing solves all problems ha ha. :laugh:
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    You should try it roasted.
    Blasting cauliflower florets in a hot oven concentrates their natural sweetness, turning them into something akin to vegetable candy.

1 medium head cauliflower (2 1/2 to 3 pounds), cut into 1 1/2-inch-wide florets (8 cups)
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 450°F.

Toss cauliflower with oil and salt in a large bowl. Spread in 1 layer in a large shallow baking pan (1 inch deep) and roast, stirring and turning over occasionally, until tender and golden brown, 25 to 35 minutes.

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Roasted-Cauliflower-238089#ixzz0rbU3uCTp
  • wilkypoo
    wilkypoo Posts: 52
    Options
    bump
  • jtotheno
    jtotheno Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ciaobella47
    ciaobella47 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I love to steam cauliflower, puree it, mix it with beaten eggs and scramble! It may sound crazy to some but I dare you to try it! The recipe (link below) comes from the Deceptively Delicious book. I don't add sour cream and only occastionally add parmesan. Either way, it's good.

http://www.oprah.com/food/Scrambled-Eggs-with-Cauliflower
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    You should try it roasted.
    Blasting cauliflower florets in a hot oven concentrates their natural sweetness, turning them into something akin to vegetable candy.

1 medium head cauliflower (2 1/2 to 3 pounds), cut into 1 1/2-inch-wide florets (8 cups)
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 450°F.

Toss cauliflower with oil and salt in a large bowl. Spread in 1 layer in a large shallow baking pan (1 inch deep) and roast, stirring and turning over occasionally, until tender and golden brown, 25 to 35 minutes.

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Roasted-Cauliflower-238089#ixzz0rbU3uCTp

Sounds lovely ,thanks :)