Chia/Hemp!

Options
2»

Replies

• Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I make a gel with the chia seeds. Mix 2 tsp seeds with 2tb almond milk at night, then in morning you have a gel and I put it in my oatmeal to thicken it up.
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    There is a product called Skinny B that is Hemp, buckwheat and Chia, very expensive but there is a recipe online to combine your own. I use this in my yoghurt as a kind of low fat granola. Pretty much eat it everyday.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    hemp? yes please :smokin: heheheh

no but really, i bought some chocolate hemp protein powder a while ago. it made great hemp protein brownies, but in drinks the texture was sort of awful.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    hemp? yes please :smokin: heheheh

no but really, i bought some chocolate hemp protein powder a while ago. it made great hemp protein brownies, but in drinks the texture was sort of awful.

^^ You have to really put some work into the drink to fix the texture, if it's the powder.
  • katied37
    Options
    I use chia seeds all the time!

I include a tablespoon of chia seeds in a green smoothie every morning. My favorite smoothie is spinach, almond milk, banana, natural peanut butter, and chia seeds. Sometimes I'll change up my breakfast and have steel cut oats with a tablespoon of chia seeds sprinkled on top and some sliced up banana. Chia seeds are also great sprinkled on top of any salad. I'm not a huge baker, but I know that there are many healthy recipes for baked goods and other desserts that include chia seeds. You should look up some recipes online if you're interested. They are totally tasteless and so fantastic for your health. When I put them in my breakfast smoothie, I am full all morning.

Hope this helped!

Katie

Katie, Thanks so much, this totally helps! I just got a blender and have been excited about trying some new smoothie recipes. That's awesome that they are tasteless and wont throw off my new breakfasts :)

1 more question....whats the difference between steel cut oats and regular oats? We are talking about oatmeal right? :/

I think that steel cut (or Irish) oats are less processed than regular or rolled oats. I like the taste and texture better. Steel cut oats are a little more dense and taste "toastier" to me somehow. I think it's a matter of preference! My only gripe about steel cut oats is that they take much longer to cook - 10-20 minutes on the stove, as opposed to a few minutes in the microwave for rolled oats.

Thanks again. Do you just make them ahead of time?

You definitely could. I usually eat oatmeal on the weekends (or snow days like today!) when I have more time to make breakfast. During the week, when I'm pressed for time, I'll usually make a smoothie. But you could absolutely make a whole batch of oats on the weekend and refrigerate them for busy mornings!
  • katied37
    Options

I usually eat oatmeal on the weekends and days when I have more time in the morning. That being said, you can absolutely cook up a whole bunch on the weekend and refrigerate it! I think that's a great idea.
  • katied37
    Options
    Oops, I just realized I answered this twice. Sorry, all! :)
  • shan056
    Options
    I have been using chia seeds in the mornings with my yogurt and fruit with a little granola. I also use them in bran muffins. There are lots of recipes out there. I have also done something similar to the pudding.

2 Tbs chia seeds
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 scoop protein powder ( I use 100% whey protein)
    2 Tbs peanut butter

Mix chia seeds and milk and let sit for 20 minutes then stir in protein and peanut butter. It has a tapioca texture and tastes like a chocolate peanut butter cup.

Good luck!

Does the protein powder work for you and when do you use it? I was thinking about adding it into my regiment but noticed how high a fat content it had. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad to give me some energy before a workout? Is there a specific kind you like? They don't seem to appetizing :/
  • shan056
    Options

I usually eat oatmeal on the weekends and days when I have more time in the morning. That being said, you can absolutely cook up a whole bunch on the weekend and refrigerate it! I think that's a great idea.

Thanks for the response. Was just curious if they would go bad.
  • shan056
    Options
    Hi, I use chia in all sorts of things, but my favorite is in yogurt. I buy them at Costco. I also buy a cereal that is buckwheat, chia seeds and hemp hearts two brand names I know of are holy crap and Qia. Keep you felling full.

Thanks good info. Are those cereals at costco too?
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I use chia seeds all the time!

I include a tablespoon of chia seeds in a green smoothie every morning. My favorite smoothie is spinach, almond milk, banana, natural peanut butter, and chia seeds. Sometimes I'll change up my breakfast and have steel cut oats with a tablespoon of chia seeds sprinkled on top and some sliced up banana. Chia seeds are also great sprinkled on top of any salad. I'm not a huge baker, but I know that there are many healthy recipes for baked goods and other desserts that include chia seeds. You should look up some recipes online if you're interested. They are totally tasteless and so fantastic for your health. When I put them in my breakfast smoothie, I am full all morning.

Hope this helped!

Katie

Katie, Thanks so much, this totally helps! I just got a blender and have been excited about trying some new smoothie recipes. That's awesome that they are tasteless and wont throw off my new breakfasts :)

1 more question....whats the difference between steel cut oats and regular oats? We are talking about oatmeal right? :/

I think that steel cut (or Irish) oats are less processed than regular or rolled oats. I like the taste and texture better. Steel cut oats are a little more dense and taste "toastier" to me somehow. I think it's a matter of preference! My only gripe about steel cut oats is that they take much longer to cook - 10-20 minutes on the stove, as opposed to a few minutes in the microwave for rolled oats.

You definitely could. I usually eat oatmeal on the weekends (or snow days like today!) when I have more time to make breakfast. During the week, when I'm pressed for time, I'll usually make a smoothie. But you could absolutely make a whole batch of oats on the weekend and refrigerate them for busy mornings!

Soak you oats (and chia seeds-optional) OVERNIGHT in the water you will be cooking them. Cooking them in the morning can then be done on a lower heat setting and for a shorter period of time.