Eat your calories after 9:00 pm

Options
I am still 400 calories short of what I should eat today. What is better not to eat them or eat them after 9:00 pm. I have been trying not to eat late at night. So what is your thoughts?

Replies

• josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily believe in the statement, no eating after 9:00 to lose weight (or 7 or whatever the later time..) It is your totally calories for the day...
    If you are hungry eat, if not don't. Calorie burning does not go by a clock
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    My opinion is, if you are not hungry you don't need to eat them. That should be qualified though because if you lift or exercise heavily the cals do help for repair and building, or energy for the next morning. Just depends on how you feel.
  • Peanutbutterx
    Options
    well said chaelaz!
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Plan your day ahead of time so you're not left with 400 calories this late.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Eat your calories when it's convenient for you to eat them. Your body doesn't care what time of day you eat. I usually eat most of my calories at night. It's ok.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    if you're hungry, eat them!
    I find that when I eat something carb-y at night I am more hungry in the morning so i try to eat protein snacks at night; nuts, eggs, cheese n crackers...

I also don't think the "no eating after 9" etc makes sense.

It's hard to sleep when you're starving!

as long as you're meeting your calorie requirement, you should be fine.
  • Beautifulsoull
    Options
    I don't believe in dont eat past this certain time. Now I do believe in eat a few hours before you go to bed so it gives your body enough time to digest the food. I just ate almost 600 calories for dinner at 9pm and I wont go to bed till about midnight and that keeps me full all through the night till I wake up around 9am.

EDITED:Added in a few words that shouldn't have been there.
  • Christine61314
    Christine61314 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posts that calories don't go by the clock however I am also not trying to eat later in the evening purely because it's a trigger for me to start eating out of control. If you are often left with extra each night maybe add a snack of nuts/almonds mid-evening or have a glass of fruit juice in the morning?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry. My body can't tell time.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    if you're hungry, eat them!
    I find that when I eat something carb-y at night I am more hungry in the morning so i try to eat protein snacks at night; nuts, eggs, cheese n crackers...

I also don't think the "no eating after 9" etc makes sense.

as long as you're meeting your calorie requirement, you should be fine.

I am the same way, if the least bit hungry at bedtime, I cannot sleep... I have a snack right before bed every night... I usually give it a little time to digest but not more than an hour, usually less
  • sohmui
    sohmui Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in dont eat past this certain time.
    I don't often eat late. But you are quite right. The latest scientific thinking is that it doesn't matter how late you eat. Your metabolism works just as well while you sleep. I agree that you should eat if you are hungry.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options

I am opposite. I have really bad, restless dreams when I eat before bed.
  • Zulemak
    Options
    How many of those 400 calories do you need not to be in the starvation mode? For example, if you had at least 250 of those calories, would myfitness pal indicate that is a healthy range? With that being said, I really enjoy Noosa (greek yogurt with some fat), particularly strawberry ruhbarb and 8 0. o.z. is about 240 calories if you add a couple of toppings you can easily get to at least 300+ calories. Could be a healthy late evening snack? Hope that helps.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    interesting
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter sammich and a glass of milk!
  • healthyjmt
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. Great help!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter sammich and a glass of milk!
    bingo.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    calories can't tell time.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    The answer is beer.
  • kathygingras5
    Options
    It sounds like you need to plan out your meals better. Six smaller meals throughout the day will take care of having that many calories at the end of your day. This will speed up your metabolism too. Our bodies don't burn off what we eat during evening and night hours and it will store it as fat. Goodluck!