Options
12346»

Replies

• MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Keep your cat indoors. Problem solved.

This.

But yeah, it's their way of saying thank you. Praise them for it.
  • tegantheaverage
    tegantheaverage Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I read (but can't find the article now) that's it's a common misconception that cats bring you things as gifts; They're actually trying to teach you how to hunt in the same way they would teach a kitten and the first step is to bring you dead things. I guess your cat thinks you're not being a very good provider!
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I recently read that cats leave dead things on your door like they would do for kittens, they basically think that you are too stupid or immature to hunt for yourself so they are being nice and feeding you.
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    That's why I have indoor cats, but I had indoor/outdoor cats growing up and they would do the same thing. I was more fascinated than disgusted and would bury the remains in the woods, in a section my sister and I sanctioned as an animal graveyard.

I like how you think. :glasses:

I got the idea after watching "Pet Cemetery". But I knew the animals wouldn't come back from the dead because it wasn't on an Indian burial ground. lol

Yep, figured you did. :tongue: Did you see that animated movie Frankenweenie? Similar theme.. very cute!
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Haven't you read this?

The Cat's Diary
    Day 983 of My Captivity
    My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet. Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates my capabilities. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a "good little hunter" I am. *kitten*!

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of "allergies." I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow, but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released, and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded. The bird must be an informant. I observe him communicate with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For now ...
  • stargazer008
    Options
    I believe it is a cat's way of showing he/she loves you.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the entire thread but if you are feeding your cat kibble, he is seeking out what his carnivore body needs. Meat. Cats aren't meant to eat all carbs.

Good quality kibble is not all carbs. The one my cats eat is 34% protein, 13% fat. For comparison, a chicken wing is about 26% protein by mass and a mid range canned cat food is 8% protein, 3% fat (but that's based on wet weight and it's 80% moisture, so it works out to a similar proportion of protein).

My cats get tinned meat in the mornings, kibble in the evenings, chicken wings once a week, and meat scraps when we cook our own dinner with meat.
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    Haven't you read this?

The Cat's Diary
    Day 983 of My Captivity
    My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet. Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates my capabilities. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a "good little hunter" I am. *kitten*!

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of "allergies." I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow, but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released, and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded. The bird must be an informant. I observe him communicate with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For now ...

This is fantastic! So honest & bold...reminds me of Anais Nin! Where can I get the complete diary? :bigsmile:
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the entire thread but if you are feeding your cat kibble, he is seeking out what his carnivore body needs. Meat. Cats aren't meant to eat all carbs.

Good quality kibble is not all carbs. The one my cats eat is 34% protein, 13% fat. For comparison, a chicken wing is about 26% protein by mass and a mid range canned cat food is 8% protein, 3% fat (but that's based on wet weight and it's 80% moisture, so it works out to a similar proportion of protein).

My cats get tinned meat in the mornings, kibble in the evenings, chicken wings once a week, and meat scraps when we cook our own dinner with meat.

Oh I agree. Our cats get canned meat from a specialty store in the AM and their kibble is a special blend of high protein low carb no grain. (I think that's what it is anyway lol) :) Our older cat lost atleat 7-9 pounds when we changed her to this diet from Science Diet kibble. And she eats WAY less now because the protein holds her.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    It is incredibly selfish to let your cat run loose to kill other people's poultry, destroy songbirds, crap in your neighbor's flower beds or kids' sandbox, etc. If you are too indulgent or too lazy to keep the thing inside and have to change the catbox, get rid of the damned cat, not just let it out the door.

No. Cats are great outdoor pets for country people. They kill the barn mice. Cats love it outside, keeping them indoors is cruel and selfish.

Agreed! My boys love to be outside. They are all neutered and rarely even go off of our back deck. They love to just lie in the sun and enjoy the outdoors!
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Didn't click through all the pages, but I hope someone has posted this. If not, here it is, enjoy the hilarity:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/cats_actually_kill
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    It is incredibly selfish to let your cat run loose to kill other people's poultry, destroy songbirds, crap in your neighbor's flower beds or kids' sandbox, etc. If you are too indulgent or too lazy to keep the thing inside and have to change the catbox, get rid of the damned cat, not just let it out the door.

No. Cats are great outdoor pets for country people. They kill the barn mice. Cats love it outside, keeping them indoors is cruel and selfish.

Agreed! My boys love to be outside. They are all neutered and rarely even go off of our back deck. They love to just lie in the sun and enjoy the outdoors!

Oh geesh. Some do some don't. Our oldest has been roaming outdoors for years. Our youngest is skitish and spooks easily so we put her on a harness and let her sniff around and get air in our backyard. She usually ends up running back in from something scaring the **** out of her. She'd kill us if we made her go outside and roam free. Well she'd get killed before she could kill us but whatever.
  • trb85
    trb85 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I recently read that cats leave dead things on your door like they would do for kittens, they basically think that you are too stupid or immature to hunt for yourself so they are being nice and feeding you.

Yep. We're big, hairless, stupid kittens.

Also, that bird lady is a mega doucher. "waa waa it's cruel for an animal to do what it is meant to do naturally, so I'm going to go out of my way and kill animals like a psychopath"
    Grow up. Put your critters in enclosed pens or nut up and go talk to your neighbors. That passive-aggressive crap is for children.