H E L P! I don't think I should eat exercise cals!

Options
2»

Replies

• mdepko
    mdepko Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Don't eat them if you are a fat *kitten* like my trying to lose weight, if you are where you want to be and are just trying to be healthy and eat healthy, there shouldn't be problem eating those calories.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    ive used fat2fit calculators before and always get fairly accurate numbers.

This is what I got 148lbs CW 140lbs GW 5'9" moderately active. I don't think that 2993 is right to lose weight!!!
    Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 2317
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2655
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2993
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 3331
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 3669

Just ran your numbers, you imputed something wrong. TDEE for moderate is 2200.
  • silversociety
    silversociety Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I always eat back my exercise calories or like 95% of them at any rate.
  • Andrew_peter
    Andrew_peter Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Eating back 1/2 here and seeing results and not feeling totally drained or starving. Feel its a good compromise vs feeling like all that exercise just equals more calories to eat. Tried to not eat any but found I was just too hungry and low energy without eating at least some back. Just try different things over several weeks to see what works best!!
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    ive used fat2fit calculators before and always get fairly accurate numbers.

This is what I got 148lbs CW 140lbs GW 5'9" moderately active. I don't think that 2993 is right to lose weight!!!
    Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 2317
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2655
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2993
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 3331
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 3669

Just ran your numbers, you imputed something wrong. TDEE for moderate is 2200.

Okay, so if Im eating 1700 cals (500 below TDEE) and NOT eating exercise cals back, then I should be losing weight - correct?
  • HMVOL7409
    Options
    A 15-20% cut is 1750-1850. You only want to lose 8lbs so many suggest a smaller cut. As long as you keep your activity in the range you set, you should see a loss each week. Is it fast? No, this method is healthy and not for rapid loss. You also do NOT eat back exercise calories bc your activity is factored in. People that don't know this method never understand this so you'll get conflicting advice. TDEE is NOT MFP.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    A 15-20% cut is 1750-1850. You only want to lose 8lbs so many suggest a smaller cut. As long as you keep your activity in the range you set, you should see a loss each week. Is it fast? No, this method is healthy and not for rapid loss. You also do NOT eat back exercise calories bc your activity is factored in. People that don't know this method never understand this so you'll get conflicting advice. TDEE is NOT MFP.
    Do you think 1lb a week would happen? or more like .5lb a week in loss?
  • HMVOL7409
    Options
    Everyone is different and will respond differently. 0.5 is more likely to happen but I did lose up to a 1 lb a week when I was consistent with the cut.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I vote try not eating them back, and see what happens. Then try eating 1/2 and see what happens. Then try eating them all and see what happens.

I think eating 1/2 back is the best, because so many people probably overestimate their calories anyway. I'm on the losing pounds train at the moment. If I stall, then I will consider eating 1/2 my calories back. Everyone is different.

The most important thing is the way you feel. If you are really hungry, then you definiitely need to eat more. Remember this, if you are weak during your exercising then you need to eat more. Exercise should be fun and you should have energy to do it (you know, after you get over the period of hating it for a week or two, then you should be enjoying it).
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back my calories and I don't eat at TDEE. I think I figured it out one day and it was somewhere around 1700 for me. I can't eat that much without eating garbage and junk or going out to eat for a meal.

I haven't figured out what works for me yet, other then eat less then I eat now.. which is not an option. I did find out one medical thing that will help me in the future once I correct it. So maybe that will make a difference. We shall see.

from what i understand... if you go the TDEE route, it includes your exercise calories already so you don't eat them back. If you eat below TDEE you will lose weight.

Sounds simple.. if you are hungry enough to eat all that. I'm just at 1200 today and stuffed.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    this
  • HMVOL7409
    Options
    I don't eat back my calories and I don't eat at TDEE. I think I figured it out one day and it was somewhere around 1700 for me. I can't eat that much without eating garbage and junk or going out to eat for a meal.

I haven't figured out what works for me yet, other then eat less then I eat now.. which is not an option. I did find out one medical thing that will help me in the future once I correct it. So maybe that will make a difference. We shall see.

from what i understand... if you go the TDEE route, it includes your exercise calories already so you don't eat them back. If you eat below TDEE you will lose weight.

Sounds simple.. if you are hungry enough to eat all that. I'm just at 1200 today and stuffed.

I eat 2000+ calories daily and its not composed of junk. It is possible.
  • michellemarie3434
    michellemarie3434 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I would also caution you to pay close attention to the amount of calories burned during exercise according to MFP. For instance, 15 minutes of stationary bike will give me over 200, but the bike at the gym will state 111 calories burned. I had to recalculate how many I actually burned so that I did not go over for the day.
  • Bootjockey
    Bootjockey Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    This is my approach as well, and it's worked well for me.

-BootJockey

If you're tired of starting over...
    STOP GIVING UP!!!

-Do It Now!
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    I would also caution you to pay close attention to the amount of calories burned during exercise according to MFP. For instance, 15 minutes of stationary bike will give me over 200, but the bike at the gym will state 111 calories burned. I had to recalculate how many I actually burned so that I did not go over for the day.

This tells me that its better to use the TDEE method and not eat exercise calories back. Why? Because MFP seems to not be accurate in calculating calories burned from exercise.
  • Starrynightgrl45
    Starrynightgrl45 Posts: 47 Member
    Options

This tells me that its better to use the TDEE method and not eat exercise calories back. Why? Because MFP seems to not be accurate in calculating calories burned from exercise.

Yes, or buy a HRM and accept the flaws in the MFP system and correct them with the information from your HRM.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I do TDEE minus cut, but I often end up eating more on exercise days than rest days. Like I ran 3 miles today and I am STARVING. Days I don't run I might not feel as hungry and eat a couple hundred cals less. I look at it by week more than day. If I am hungrier I eat more, but below my TDEE. Yesterday I ate 1600 cals, but today I will probably be more around 1800. My goal is 1700.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

I eat 2000+ calories daily and its not composed of junk. It is possible.

I didn't say others can't do it. Only that I can't currently. When I first started tracking I wasn't breaking 800 a day ( I was shocked! btw) so maybe one day I'll be up there.. but as it is now.. I simply can't eat that much. To each their own journey.

I don't trust the calories burned numbers on here either. I googled them and altered to to conform to what other people say who wear the HRM thing or use the number the machine at the gym says (almost always lower). i know that is still an estimate, so if you are eating back the calories.. i'd suggest getting a HRM or a better estimate of what you are burning.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    Im just gonna track my cals on here and not even bother to log exercise anywhere. Just gonna log cals and exercise almost everyday.