Antidepressants...? (especially Wellbutrin)

Options
I've been depressed for years, and have only recently sought help as I've lost motivation to do.. well anything much. My uni work is suffering and I hardly leave the house. My doctor has brought up the idea of antidepressants, and while I'm against medication in general, I'm thinking about it, as nothing else seems to be helping, It's just getting worse.

It's a vicious cycle of depression, eating to feel better, and feeling more depressed and guilty because I've gained weight.

I was just wondering if anyone on here has had experience with antidepressants, how they worked for you, if you gained weight while on them, any side effects?? Especially Wellbutrin, as this is the one I've researched and sounds the best for me (helps with motivation, decreases migraines too!).

I'd just like to get some feedback from real people and their experiences before I make any decisions.

If anyone has any natural alternatives I'd love to hear about it too!

Replies

• ReaderKN12
    ReaderKN12 Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been on Welbutrin XL for four years now. I have not had any weight gain, in fact a side effect is loss of appetite. The medication has worked great for me and I hope everything works out for you!
  • BrinaJo
    BrinaJo Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi, I just barely signed up for this to help with maintaining my weight, and found your message on here. I want you to know you are definetly not alone, it seems like everyone is depressed, or under way to much stress, etc. I for one was completelu against antidepressants, until I realized I was just in denial, I absolutely had to get on them to feel normal again. Their are still days I wish I didnt have to be on them, or feel stupid for having to be, but we can't help our chemical makeup, or inbalances, but we can help ourselves and our family by something so simple as a little pill,their are people that have to take insulin for their blood sugar, or take Iron, vitamins, or whatever it might be for them and we just happen to be one of those that need our seratonin helped with antidepressants, I am on Citalopram and love it, I think I gained 2 pounds and my eyes are a little dry but nothing that would make me stop taking. I hope that helped....
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I have been taking Lexapro for a couple years. It did not make me gain weight. I asked my doctor, sort of joking, if she could give me something to make me be less of a *****. She said yes and it absolutley worked. I never thought I was depressed I just thought people really bugged me. It has improved every aspect of my life. No side effects that I am aware of. It doesn't have to be forever, you can wean off and see if your brain is doing its chemicals right on its own later, with your doctors approval of course.
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I never had to go as far as taking antidepressants but would have if I needed to. I was told to try taking fish oil capsules and that worked for me to get it under control. Everyone is different though and what works for one might not work for another. Good luck finding what works for you.
  • kspeach
    kspeach Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Girl, listen to your doctor! :)

I've tried many of them...Zoloft, Prozac, Effexor and now Wellbutrin. Prozac did seem to make me gain weight. Zoloft was ok. The two that make/made the most difference were/are Effexor and Wellbutrin.

IMO, if you have trouble remembering to take your meds, Effexor should work well for you. If you miss a dose, you get SICK!!!!!!!!! Seriously! Although I was able to quit taking it cold turkey after a few months (yeah...I know).

The Wellbutrin has really helped me now. I could tell the Eff and Well worked when I started being a better driver....less annoyance at other drivers.

There are side effects. But as I told my dr last month...the side effects totally outweigh the good it does for me. I had many of the initial side effects many people have. But I will say, it gave me get up and GO like none of the others. Shortly after starting to take it, I was able to get motivated to get off the couch and start exercising and eating right. It doesn't kill my appetite QUITE as much as it did at first, but I'm also exercising (walking) a lot longer now. Phentermine killed my appetite completely but gave me no motivation and I'm not able to take it now.

Yeah, my husband still annoys me sometimes. And sometimes I get snippy. But those are personality problems....although the Wellbutrin has decreased some of those.

I've only been on it a month. I'd be happy to talk to you more.

MOST IMPORTANTLY:
    If you had diabetes, you'd take your medicine. If you had an illness that was only cured by medicine, you'd take it. If you had cancer, you'd do what you needed to as well. From my understanding, they will NOT help someone who doesn't have that chemical imbalance...no harm, no foul. It's a medical condition that manifests itself both mentally and physically.
  • fauxdetresse
    Options
    i've tried everything, and they all make me feel dead and my friends say that i'm not the same person when i'm on them-- that i'm strange and they don't like me on meds.

i completely against anti-depressants.
  • kspeach
    kspeach Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    i've tried everything, and they all make me feel dead and my friends say that i'm not the same person when i'm on them-- that i'm strange and they don't like me on meds.

i completely against anti-depressants.

Depending on the medication/dosage, it doesn't have to be that way. Wrong dosages, misdiagnoses, and many other factors can play a part in this. They helped save my life. Completely. And they've given me my life back now.

Maybe they aren't for everyone. But that doesn't mean that they are WRONG for EVERYone. :)
    :)
  • hawaiibound
    hawaiibound Posts: 158
    Options
    I was on Effexor for 6 months and the 1st 3 months I lost all kinds of weight but the last 3 months i gained it all back. My dr just switched me to Zoloft today so we will see what kind of weight loss/gain I have. Anyone else taken Zoloft?
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I first started taking Wellbutrin (Zyban) for smoking cessation in 2002 for 4 months and it does wonders with helping curb your mental cravings i.e smoking or eating when not being hungry. I took wellbutrin in 2005 for 2 years for a bout of depression and I just started taking it again 2 months ago. I only take one 150mg pill a day in the morning because I have trouble sleeping if I take more. There was an article I read about Wellbutrin being looked at for use as a weight loss pill, so it might be marketed as that in a few years. I've never tried any of the other anti depressants so I can't give you a comparison but I'm happy with the results with Wellbutrin.
  • hanr
    hanr Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice and everyone's experiences!

I think I might give it a go.
    Worth a try, hey? If it doesn't work out I can always go off it.

I hope it helps me lose weight too that would be such a bonus! :)