for those who set their own macro goals...

Options
2»

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    70/15/15

Protein is extremely misunderstood. If getting more protein gave us bigger muscles, we could take a protein pill and have Arnold biceps. When you stress your muscles with lifting, your bodily systems find the protein stores. You just need enough to sustain you, since the liver sluffs off the extra anyway.
    15% is enough for most people if you are eating adequate calories.
    Lowfat is 15% or less. No added oil, no cheese. Anything else is a fatty diet.

You might want to rethink that advice:
    http://www.jissn.com/content/3/1/7

Most studies confirm that people who exercise hard and/or are losing weight should be shooting for at least 1.5g/kg of bodyweight. For a 150-lb person losing weight that's over 100g of protein, which for someone eating a 1500 calorie diet is over 25%.

And "low fat" seems silly to me. If I got 70% of my calories from carbs while losing weight I'd be constantly starving.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    45/20/35
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    40/30/30

Though I tend to be lower on carbs and higher on fat :)
  • Latte_Lover
    Latte_Lover Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    70/15/15

Protein is extremely misunderstood. If getting more protein gave us bigger muscles, we could take a protein pill and have Arnold biceps. When you stress your muscles with lifting, your bodily systems find the protein stores. You just need enough to sustain you, since the liver sluffs off the extra anyway.

<---results of a fatty diet...macros are 40/30/30
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    70/15/15

Awesome. Fat is delicious and healthy.
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    2upyfep.jpg
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    20/30/50
  • KidRada
    Options
    40 FAts / 40 Protien/ 20 carbs the best way to cut , but keep the fats HEALTHYYYY !!!!
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    70/15/15

I was at 50/25/25 for 3 years, and saw a lot of good progress. I lost weight and felt healthy. I am a competitive DH mountain bike rider (not pro, but I compete). I am not as lean as you, and my focus was not on external appearance, instead my goal was performance. Winning the Masters class at races. I burned 121,800 calories in 2012 according to my heart rate monitor, mostly cycling, cross country skiing, and ultimate frisbee.

This January I switched to a whole foods plant based diet because of what I learned watching the movie "Forks Over Knives". I cannot express in words how good I feel as a result. My times on a timed rando skiing course went from 58 minutes to 46 minutes, destroying my prior personal best times. I cannot say enough about it. 90% of the people I talk to are skeptics. I get it. All that I can say is that I've tried everything in my 54 years. In 7 weeks of not eating meat, fish, dairy, eggs, added oil it's shocking how superior this way of eating is. One of the big reasons is NO MORE PORTION CONTROL. I hated never feeling quite sated.