Burnt Calories in Public Bus?

Options

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,045 Member
    Options
    The sooner you stop trying to buy food with every day activities, the better off you will be.

I don't count anything that is not planned, sustained exercise. It's crazy-making to try to account for every little calorie in and out.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    ummmm an unadultered....NO! :noway:
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    The sooner you stop trying to buy food with every day activities, the better off you will be.

I don't count anything that is not planned, sustained exercise. It's crazy-making to try to account for every little calorie in and out.

this ^ is a good post!!
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    If you feel the need to log the activity I would compare it to something like standing. People log Housekeeping; Breast feeding and sex, why should the OP not be allowed to log their bus ride?

Why would anybody want to log standing anyway? How many calories do you think standing burns?
    I'm not sure what it says about our society when we try and count standing as exercise, but I have a feeling it can't be good.
  • spottedlee
    spottedlee Posts: 372
    Options
    oh dear,, I went overboard did I? I did not stand in bus but it had me thinking and wondering because of the way the city bus is moving (and brake slamming) and those who stood were using their muscles and such so they won't fall. I was just wondering,, that's all.
  • cindy_leonard
    Options
    I stood for the first time on the bus ride home today (hour and a half) and it sure felt like exercise when I got done. Minimal hanging on, using my legs to balance mostly. I have a desk job, so it felt like a bit of nice "extra" toning.

I'm not logging it, because I like the thinking of a lot of the posts on here. Call it " a few bonus calories burned" in my head, but don't log it and end up eating more as a result. :)
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Do some pole dancing and work up a sweat and youll probably even make some money too

Edit: damn, someone beat me to it already
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,045 Member
    Options
    Do some pole dancing and work up a sweat and youll probably even make some money too

No worries, they only beat you by a year...and a few weeks..who's counting?

Don't know where this old thread came from. :laugh:
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Pop quiz hot shot.

Was there a bomb on the bus?Will it exploded if you go below 50 mph? And are you Sandra Bullock
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

No worries, they only beat you by a year...and a few weeks..who's counting?

Don't know where this old thread came from. :laugh:

guess i should start reading more than the first post lol
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I can not find anything but I wonder,, if the bus is full and you are forced to stand up, holding to pole or whatever,, and rode for a while (in my case, express bus, no stop for 40 minutes),, dealing with all kind of motions which takes muscles in both legs and arms to keep yourself in balance,,, Is this something you can count as burnt calories?

I was not able to find anything supporting my theory. :frown:

I'd give anything to have as much time on my hands as you do. what little I have, I spend responding to this quiet incredible ( even by forum standards) post.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    When I sit at my desk at work, I often jiggle my leg. How many calories should I be logging for this?
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    If you feel the need to log the activity I would compare it to something like standing. People log Housekeeping; Breast feeding and sex, why should the OP not be allowed to log their bus ride?

Why would anybody want to log standing anyway? How many calories do you think standing burns?
    I'm not sure what it says about our society when we try and count standing as exercise, but I have a feeling it can't be good.

I just have to say, that breastfeeding actually takes a lot of calories, depending on the age of the nursling.
  • MirjaH79
    Options
    I would not count it as burned calories.
    But that been said, as I'm going back to work next month, after some 14 months of sick leave due to my back, I'm gonna change my activity level from Sedentary to Lightly Active: I will be traveling by bus standing up, walking a couple km because of taking the bus, and working mainly standing (I really can not sit much, you see). :ohwell:
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Try a more aggressive form of holding onto the pole, you'll burn more calories in 40 minutes if you can stick with it

7453.jpg

I'm going to try this on the bus to work on Sunday morning...:tongue:
  • emacb123
    emacb123 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I would guess the extra calories expended would be less than a cookie.

Maybe eat an extra cracker and call it even.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count it. It's just a part of daily activities.

that

yep

Uh huh
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options

this ^ is a good post!!

Amen! You're just kidding yourself otherwise!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    happened to me once when i was holding on for dear life on a crowded highway bus. so my guess is you probably got some nice upper-body strength workout, but as the HR dint elevate much, not much of calories burned to log.

this. and lower body strength as the leg muscles will be working to maintain balance too.

see it as an additional bonus, i.e. extra work for your muscles that has benefitted you, but don't log it as exercise as it won't be that many more calories than if you'd been sitting on the same bus.

small bonuses like this add up in the long run :)