Maybe I'm being dramatic but...

Options
I would DIE if pierogies disappeared off of the face of the earth. Last night we had my all time favorite comfort food (that my mom always used to make me) for 560 calories! It's kielbasa (turkey to keep it lighter), sauted garlic and red onions, and boiled then sauted pierogies.

Oh.....Em....Gee

What is your favorite meal that is comfort food, but can be made lighter? Why is it your favorite comfort food?

P.S. Happy Friday :)

Replies

• miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    My favorite food many years ago when I lived in USA was potato/onion or Potato/cheese pierogies ! I would put a little butter in a pan with onions and brown the pierogies in it until pierogie was crispy on outside. I would serve it with sour cream. It must be at least 12 years or more since I have even heard the word pierogies .

I bought them in a grocery store in the frozen food aisle. I never would find them where I live in Europe now. I never had meat with them and they were always potato based. Thanks for the great memories of one of my all time favorite foods.
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Oreo cookies in the middle of the night. Reminds me of being a kid & waking up Dad in the middle of the night.
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Pizza.
    Not sure why, but the Oreo guy made me remember,
    when I was little my family would have pizza every Friday night and watch a movie.
    That was when life was good... before everything started falling apart.
    I wonder if that's the reason I have issues with the food.
  • kb_CG_wife
    kb_CG_wife Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    My favorite food many years ago when I lived in USA was potato/onion or Potato/cheese pierogies ! I would put a little butter in a pan with onions and brown the pierogies in it until pierogie was crispy on outside. I would serve it with sour cream. It must be at least 12 years or more since I have even heard the word pierogies .

I bought them in a grocery store in the frozen food aisle. I never would find them where I live in Europe now. I never had meat with them and they were always potato based. Thanks for the great memories of one of my all time favorite foods.

Yes! ALWAYS serve them with sour cream, there's just no other way :)
  • kb_CG_wife
    Options
    Oreo cookies in the middle of the night. Reminds me of being a kid & waking up Dad in the middle of the night.

Aw! Just hearing the word "Oreos" makes me drool.
  • kb_CG_wife
    Options
    Pizza.
    Not sure why, but the Oreo guy made me remember,
    when I was little my family would have pizza every Friday night and watch a movie.
    That was when life was good... before everything started falling apart.
    I wonder if that's the reason I have issues with the food.

Love love love pizza! I'm sorry to hear things aren't so good now. :\
  • Paulinefrew69
    Paulinefrew69 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    For those of us in the UK, or maybe just me, what is a "pierogies"?
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

Ha!!!! Same! I have no clue what it is or even how to say it... I guess it is possible to live without whatever it is after all ;)
  • Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Pierogies are awesome, but I eat them with pasta sauce :D

Pizza is my all time comfort food. Similar to crunchy we had a tradition when I was growing up. Every Saturday my pops would make homemade pizza and we'd watch Star Trek TNG. From there it evolved into movie night when my brother and I got older. Now I don't go a Sat without pizza. Granted I've changed up the recipe from when I learned it. Now I use whole wheat flour dough, a pizza stone, better marinara, lighter cheese, and turkey based meats.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options

This... Right now my ultimate comfort food is chicken picatta with mashed potatoes and green beans. Sooooo good!
  • Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=pierogie
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Homemade potato soup with real cream and bacon and cheese and salt....worth of a foodgasm. *sigh* Making it light just sucks.
  • ShreddedTweet
    Options
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=pierogie

D***.
  • BrittanyNBuchanan
    BrittanyNBuchanan Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Ha!!!! Same! I have no clue what it is or even how to say it... I guess it is possible to live without whatever it is after all ;)

Ditto^^^^
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Wondering the same. What is pierogies?
  • bookgirl_72
    Options
    Chocolate chip cookies. Extra yummy if they are fresh from the oven. Not so much a family thing, just a food I love.
  • O2BFatNoMore
    Options

Aw! Just hearing the word "Oreos" makes me drool.

http://www.wndu.com/home/headlines/Wal-Mart-worker-admits-to-serial-Oreo-thefts-192190381.html

How about some OREO drama?
  • ShreddedTweet
    Options
    Wondering the same. What is pierogies?

Wiki says it's like Ravioli.... meh, I could live without ravioli.
  • pinkneonmartini
    pinkneonmartini Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My all time comfort food is cheese!

Cheese and crackers, cheese on toast, or even just a baked camembert with crusty bread and cranberry jelly :)

HEAVEN!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Sort of like ravioli only fried?