Binge eating

Options
I eat fairly sensibly through the day and then just before bed I binge on cheese and/or chocolate. I think it might be stress related – I run my own business and am under a lot of pressure. How do I break this habit?

Replies

• DonaA123
    DonaA123 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I did that last night did fine all day untill night time then i binge eat :sad: srry i cdnt be any help
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey.... by that I mean the hard way -by not doing it... but then again cold turkey has less calories than cheese/chocolate so you could try that! :smile:
    ultimately though the only way I have found effective of controlling snacking is simply not eating between meals. Hot drinks will help too.
    Good luck!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I'd been doing it too as I was immensely stressed last week. Only thing you can do is throw out what you will binge on. Also tell yourself you've worked too hard for that and deserve better. I'm determined to get back on track today, even though the pressure is on going. There's always going to be stress, it's how you deal with it that matters.

Zara x
  • ThinAgain46
    Options
    I do the same thing! Cheese or chocolate.

Maybe try brushing your teeth before the witching hour and go to bed earlier - read (or whatever -- your choice! haha) to stay busy until you fall asleep.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Its hard...but I find a cup of tea or hot choclate? brushing teeth works too ...
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    the only thing ive been able to do is change what it is im eating when i get like that. if its a sweet tooth, then fruit. if its salty then pickles. if im eating out of boredom, them 100 calorie bags of popcorn. i know turning to food in those moments is not the solution. but i feel better eating a ton of popcorn rather then what i could do. i wish i could stop too. but you can only take one day and one victory at a time.
  • tanzz9
    tanzz9 Posts: 37
    Options
    I am so guilty of doing that (a big part of how i put on weight in the first place!).

I now make myself have a cup of tea, or drink water. And then if i'm actually hungry - something healthy. Its simply a habit, and one that needs to be broken.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Don't buy cheese or chocolate. It sounds stupid but when I am craving something and don't have it in the house, I don't eat it.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I've found that there are "cravings" at night that can be met with just a bite or two of something sweet, or salty or whatever. The thing is, though, that when I'm actually "hungry," then a craving can turn into a binge. For instance, if by 9 p.m. I've had 1500 calories that day, then I can just have a taste of whatever it is I'm craving. But if I've only had 800 calories? Then a taste to feed a craving becomes a full binge.

Basically, I make sure I'm NEVER actually hungry. I always make sure to eat all my calories throughout the day, that way my cravings don't turn into binges.
  • bookgirl_72
    Options
    Maybe try replacing it with something healthier? The chocolate special K cereal is actually pretty good and it does give you a dose of chocolate, which might help satisfy your craving.

Also, maybe try to plan for it. Leave yourself a some calories for those end of the day munchies so you don't blow the hard work you've done all day.
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    do you really binge, or do you just eat some and wish you hadn't? What's a binge for you?

Could it be you're really hungry and need a snack? How long was it since you last ate when you eat at night?

If you feel it's due to stress, then work out a plan of action as to what you'll do next time you're feeling the need to emotionally eat. It's when we don't have a plan as to what we'll do in situations (such as stress and being at home) that we tend to mindless eat to try to stuff those emotions that we're feeling down.

Can you brush your teeth after your last meal so you won't feel like eating (this works for me when I do it). I don't like to mess up my clean, fresh mouth with a nibble of ___ so it's an easy way to stave off munching.

Can you make a short list of 5-10 things you could do to relieve your stress that would actually relieve stress? Like stretching, taking a walk, listening to music, dancing around your living room, do something that makes you laugh, etc. Hang that list up on your kitchen where you will see it when you enter (maybe on your fridge or in the door's entrance) just as a mental "oh yeah, I'm not binging tonight". Sometimes just that one, out of the ordinary, mental trigger will snap you out of your zombie walk to the kitchen cabinet, and make you rethink your actions.
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Wanted chocolate last night. Went to bed early instead.

A bowl of dry cheerios is pretty good though. Sweet enough and last longer.
  • heidi555
    heidi555 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I used to binge but now I'm doing the EM2WL using my TDEE minus 15% so I eat a lot everyday. Getting enough calories has inhibited my ability to binge lol if I was eating a very low calorie diet I would totally be binging at night too. SO make sure you're eating the right amount for your age/weight/height.

Good Luck !!!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Don't buy cheese or chocolate. It sounds stupid but when I am craving something and don't have it in the house, I don't eat it.

^^^ this....def don't have available
  • Pkeenan1229
    Pkeenan1229 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Either don't make those items available at home, keep low calorie alternatieves (laughing cow, light cool whip, fat free pudding), chew gum, hot tea, or even using white stripes. Can't eat with those suckers on!
  • SilverService
    Options
    I think that the late night eating is a comfort thing directly related to stress. So how do you deal with stress?
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Diary writing is a great help. Write down all the stuff that bothers you. Write it like no one is ever going to read it. It's a great way to 'capture' intrusive and worrying thoughts. I find a good clearing house at the end of the day.
  • garvstone
    Options
    I have had issues with binging. I find that if I practice Intermittent Fasting or at least skip breakfast, it helps leave me with some discretionary for the evening. I am a huge night eater.
  • heidi555
    heidi555 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    oh if its directly related to stress try to find things u like to do to deal with stress... maybe massage, go for a walk, pet your cat, plan some evening activities... emotional eating is tough but basically your gonna have to deal with the underlying cause i.e. what is making you stressed and try to improve from there Do more things you love :) Good luck