Lifting for fat loss--StrongLifts or split routine?

Options
I've been with StrongLifts (inconsistently >.>) for a while in an effort to torch my fat. I don't think I kept it up enough to see a significant difference, but since I only did it 3 times a week, I never kept it up. Now, my friend (he's in shape. Like 8% BF or something) does a daily routine where he targets one specific area on the body (like back, legs, arms, etc) and does a plethora of compound exercises for that targeted muscle group. I feel like if I did something like that, I would be more consistent with it, but if I still have fat to lose, would that be beneficial or would I see no fat loss? I know it takes time and that's fine. I'm still gonna get some cardio in (I probably won't work out on weekends), but would this be smart?

I was looking at something like this, but I'm open to more suggestions. I need all help I can get:
http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/21-compound-exercises-only-workout.html
http://bodyforlife.com/library/exercise/weight-training
http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/list-of-exercises-for-each-muscle-group/
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/beginner-to-advanced-bodybuilder-in-12-weeks.html (Starting at Phase 2)
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_pushpull_workout

The Rotating Push/Pull/Legs Split
Week 1

Monday: Chest, Shoulders & Triceps
Tuesday: Back & Biceps
Wednesday: off
Thursday: Legs & Abs
Friday: off
Saturday: Chest, Shoulders & Triceps
Sunday: Back & Biceps
Week 2

Monday: off
Tuesday: Legs & Abs
Wednesday: off
Thursday: Chest, Shoulders & Triceps
Friday: Back & Biceps
Saturday: off
Sunday: Legs & Abs

OR

The Push/Pull Split
Week 1

Monday: Chest, Shoulders & Triceps + Quads & Calves
Tuesday: off
Wednesday: Back & Biceps + Hamstrings & Abs
Thursday: off
Friday: Chest, Shoulders & Triceps + Quads & Calves
Sunday: off
Week 2

Monday: Back & Biceps + Hamstrings & Abs
Tuesday: off
Wednesday: Chest, Shoulders & Triceps + Quads & Calves
Thursday: off
Friday: Back & Biceps + Hamstrings & Abs
Sunday: off

Replies

• kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Bumpy bump <.<
  • mrdjmo
    mrdjmo Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I use push/pull it's working amazingly for me but I do increase weight every workout by at least a 1lbs this is very hard and requires a lot of hardwork to battle through some of the sets when you start lifting seriously heavy weight.

I've torched my body fast from around 21% to 14-15% hoping to get it down to sub 10% by the summer.
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    I use push/pull it's working amazingly for me but I do increase weight every workout by at least a 1lbs this is very hard and requires a lot of hardwork to battle through some of the sets when you start lifting seriously heavy weight.

I've torched my body fast from around 21% to 14-15% hoping to get it down to sub 10% by the summer.
    Nice! StrongLifts makes you increase by 5lbs per lift (This is evil, btw.) so I feel like a 1lb increase would be a lot easier.
  • rgrstetson
    rgrstetson Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Really, it is all about periodization. The human body is highly adaptable and its entire purpose is to find the most efficient way to accomplish a task, it doesn't matter if that is running, lifting, throwing, what ever you may be doing...if you do it too long your body will find the most efficient way to do it and you will no longer obtain the gains (loss) you are looking for. That is why most "programs" are in 12 week cycles.

The thing is you have to find something that appeals to you as well so that you can stay committed through the cycle. Remember what works for someone else may be disastrous for you in that you may not be ready for it yet (you body mechanics might be lacking), or that it may mentally bore you which would turn you off to wanting to do it. Think periodization, strength, power, endurance, power-endurance. You can do this with anything from mere bodyweight, Olympic lifts , dumbbells or kettle bells. It is a matter of making sure that you change things just as your body starts to adjust to the period you are in so that you will continue to gain and burn as much as possible.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    I do this =
    day1. push = chest
    day2.pull= back
    day3.legs
    day4.push= shoulders
    day5. bicep and ab isolation
    day 6 and 7 rest ( I would like to rest in the middle of the week but I cant due to my job)
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    I do this =
    day1. push = chest
    day2.pull= back
    day3.legs
    day4.push= shoulders
    day 6 and 7 rest ( I would like to rest in the middle of the week but I cant due to my job)
    Yeah this is what my friend does
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    I do this =
    day1. push = chest
    day2.pull= back
    day3.legs
    day4.push= shoulders
    I also do all my big lifts first
    mon - bench press
    tues- dead lift
    wends - squats
    thurs - standing over head press
    What ever you do make sure it fits your schedule and you don't over work the same muscles
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    I do this =
    day1. push = chest
    day2.pull= back
    day3.legs
    day4.push= shoulders
    I also do all my big lifts first
    mon - bench press
    tues- dead lift
    wends - squats
    thurs - standing over head press
    What ever you do make sure it fits your schedule and you don't over work the same muscles
    Thanks big bro :P
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    If i was going for fat loss i would focus more on the major lifts, and not worry about smaller body parts. Compound vs isolation movements burn more calories because more muscle is worked over all. Unless you take steroids or are 700% perfect on your diet and / or taking suppliments I dont think split routines really work for any one. And for those that it does work awesome. Not saying that split routines dont work or that they work for everyone - but from my experiance full rather than split is the way to go.

Also you have to keep your diet in check son.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    (he's in shape. Like 8% BF or something)

he is ripped because he has his diet right, not because of this training split.

That kind of split is overkill for a beginner IMO, although if you enjoy it more than stronglifts and it makes you happier then go for it.
  • kassiebby1124
    Options

That kind of split is overkill for a beginner IMO, although if you enjoy it more than stronglifts and it makes you happier then go for it.
    Yeah he gives me nutrition tips. I mean, I've never done a split routine so I dunno if I'll like it, if that makes sense

I may just divide it into upper/lower body and do compound lifts for that?
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

Yeah he gives me nutrition tips. I mean, I've never done a split routine so I dunno if I'll like it, if that makes sense

I may just divide it into upper/lower body and do compound lifts for that?

upper/lower split twice per week is my split of choice.
  • kassiebby1124
    Options

upper/lower split twice per week is my split of choice.
    Sweet (: