Clean Eaters Unite!!!

Options
I got this idea because I'm part of another thread where we are keeping count of how many nights during the month we can successfully go to bed without late night snacking. So I decided since Memorial Weekend is upon us, which means June 1st is right around the corner, I'm going to keep count of how many days in June I can eat "clean" (no processed foods). Perfect time to give it a try since summer is full of fresh fruits and vegetables.

If anybody would like to join me, I'd love the company.

But don't get yourself discouraged. If you are not usually a clean eater, then making a goal of being successful for even 5 days out of 30 is an accomplishment. As I have already been doing this due to health reasons (but have fallen off the wagon lately), I'm aiming for at least 50% of my days to be "clean eating".

Hope you can join me :)

Replies

• kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    marking this for later... :smile:
  • sunnyskys
    sunnyskys Posts: 43
    Options
    sounds like a true challenge i think i am going to give this a try. good luck
  • Chuck1223
    Chuck1223 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in finding out more about 'clean eating' would someone give me a definition of this type of eating please?
  • athenafl
    athenafl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yes, please define clean eating. I'm very interested in avoiding processed foods and have heard many different definitions.
  • kimberly428
    kimberly428 Posts: 237
    Options
    looking for some info as well...
  • amylynna1
    amylynna1 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Check out this site, It talks about eating clean

http://www.eatcleandiet.com/about_the_diet.aspx

I would like to join you in your efforts!
  • amylynna1
    amylynna1 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    What is Eating Clean?

Eating Clean is treating your body right.

It is eating the way nature intended. You eat the foods our bodies evolved to function best on, and that makes you feel – and look – fantastic. When you Eat Clean you eat more often. You will eat lean protein, complex carbs, and healthy fats. These practices keep your blood-sugar levels stable and keep you satisfied. The best part is that if you need to lose weight it will happen almost without you having to try. And yes, you can have a treat now and again.

Best of all, Eating Clean keeps you feeling great and full of energy. In fact, you can forget all about the days when “dieting” meant feelings of hunger, lethargy or deprivation.

Eating Clean is not a fad; it’s a way of life. When you Eat Clean your body will react by losing weight if you need to lose, maintaining a healthy weight if that’s where you are, and even gaining weight if you are too skinny. But regardless of whether you want to lose, maintain or gain, you will feel better than you ever have before.

Never worry about counting calories again. You will never have to diet. Eating Clean will keep you lean and healthy for the rest of your long life. Eating Clean guarantees results!
  • slcbrus
    slcbrus Posts: 79
    Options
    I'm in! A large portion (pun intended :wink: ) of my weight gain is due to late night snacking on overprocessed food so this is the perfect challenge. Thanks for making this happen! For me eating clean is not really a problem, I have been staying away from overprocessed foods for over 6 weeks straight and my energy levels are higher, I feel a lot better and less grumpy. I occasionally do eat "unclean" food but I keep it to a minimum. Participating in this challenge will help me keep track of my new clean eating habits!
  • Moolieloo
    Moolieloo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Actually, I've started this last Monday, and I LOVE it so far! I make a HUGE smoothie with lots of veggies and fruits. The only thing that's processed in it is yogurt. I drink half of it for breakfast, and half for lunch. My snacks are a bowl of oatmeal (processed) midmorning, and a piece of fruit, mid afternoon. Then for supper I have a lean meat and a giant salad. I'm always satisfied and have plenty of energy, but I always have tons of calories left over, so I need to add another protein at lunchtime, maybe...
  • Chuck1223
    Chuck1223 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Could this be the same as 'Paleo Diet'?
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Clean living was defined for me as eating the borders of your grocery store. Most thing in boxes have some type of preservatives in it to be able to sit on the shelf. Clean eating takes alot more time as far as preparation and thinking ahead. But once I have gotten into the swing of it (thanks to the loving support and help from my family) it does get easier. And like I said, it is a great time of year as there are so many fresh, yummy things out there. Farmer's Market...here I come!!!

Thank you all for your support. I'll post on Tuesday the beginning challenge and put a link here so hopefully we can find each other again. Enjoy your long weekend!
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    just wanted to say hi to you all...

I first tried clean eating last Fall, andit wasn't too bad. I avoided many of the processed foods that were in my diet and I did eat more often...like 5-6 times a day. The first thing I noticed was my energy level. The tiredness and sluggish feelings were gone. Eating whole, natural foods is what our bodies need nutritionally...eat foods that your body recognizes. This sounds gross, but if it will eventually rot, that's what you want to eat! Seriously! fresh fruits, veggies. whole grains. lean meats. low fat dairy. I also try to eat organically when I can. There are many pesticides on fruits and veggies....love them farmer's markets! I noticed the more I ate clean, the leaner I felt...even at 170-180 lbs. I have since gained, but want to get back on track. And I still have my favorites too...just in moderation. Also, it is a little more expensive to eat this way. Once you get rid of the crap in your diet and feel the benefits of clean eating, you won't want to go back to your old ways. Give it try!!

I am going to aim for at least 4 meals a day "clean". Maybe like 70-75% of the time. I will work on improving that as the weeks go by. Look forward to meeting you all and gettin CLEAN!!

Good luck!
  • lilay
    lilay Posts: 122
    Options
    This is the perfect time of year to try this. I have a home garden, 2 local farmers markets, and road side stands to help me. Good Luck and thanks for the info.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/99372-june-2010-clean-eating-challenge

This is the new thread for the month of June for all of you that are still interested in joining me. I hope to see you there as I can use the encouragement.