What would you do with this body?

Options

Replies

• kirstyg1980
    Options
    Calculate TDEE.
    Lift a heavy compound routine 3x a week.
    On lift days eat 20% above TDEE.
    On rest days eat 10% below TDEE.

Weight loss will stop.
    Fat loss will continue.
    Lean mass gains will happen slowly.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

PM me if you need help.

EDIT: Drop cardio completely since you no longer need it.

^^^^^THIS
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I think what lifting enthusiasts mean when they say no cardio is no cardio at the gym. Some cardio activity is essential for health. Most lifters do something to stay active: team sport, walking the dog, chasing your kids, don't sit on your couch all day.

Yeah, definitely. "No cardio ever" is silly. Even more silly is people spending 10 hours a week on a treadmill when they're not training for a marathon and don't really enjoy it. Lift heavy 3 times a week and spend a couple hours a week doing something fun that gets you moving, like playing tennis or frisbee or something.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Calculate TDEE.

I've seen people recommend this pattern to me, but it seems silly. Muscle growth happens very slowly, and happens on rest days as much as it happens on lift days. Is there any evidence this pattern is superior at something to eating the same amount of calories every day?
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I think what lifting enthusiasts mean when they say no cardio is no cardio at the gym. Some cardio activity is essential for health. Most lifters do something to stay active: team sport, walking the dog, chasing your kids, don't sit on your couch all day.

Yeah, definitely. "No cardio ever" is silly. Even more silly is people spending 10 hours a week on a treadmill when they're not training for a marathon and don't really enjoy it. Lift heavy 3 times a week and spend a couple hours a week doing something fun that gets you moving, like playing tennis or frisbee or something.

Agreed
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    IMO none ever for a few weeks until weight loss stops. You won't drop dead and when you do introduce it, 20-30 mins, a few times a week will push weight loss off again without having to drop calories.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    IMO none ever for a few weeks until weight loss stops.

What's the reasoning here?
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

Essentially a few weeks of just doing daily duties isn't going to kill you.

Reintroducing when fat loss has stopped will push the body off the homeostasis pedestal it likes to put itself on and fat loss will start again and means no change in food intake.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Reintroducing when fat loss has stopped will push the body off the homeostasis pedestal it likes to put itself on and fat loss will start again and means no change in food intake.

Strong broscience. That's nonsensical. Not doing any sort of cardio while losing weight, with the reasoning that you can introduce cardio to "push the body off the homeostasis pedestal" to start fat loss makes no sense at all. Produce some scientific evidence for that if you want anyone to accept it.
  • JLPaige
    JLPaige Posts: 194
    Options
    First of all, you are gorgeous. But you want advice so here it is. My close friend is a model and she swears by pilates for a leaner, longer look. She looks amazing.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the responses but I would ditch Jillian and her 30 ds and pick up some heavy weights.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the responses but I would ditch Jillian and her 30 ds and pick up some heavy weights.

^^ This

Jillian Michaels DVDs are excellent for overweight people, but since you're already slim, you're best bet for body recomp is lifting heavy.
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    We've got similar thighs.

On YouTube - Fitness Blender -
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FitnessBlender

There's hundreds of different workouts.

I started focusing on the leg/gluts workouts two weeks ago and I already see a major difference.

I'd also do more push-ups and upper body work. 30DS does a good job at getting you stronger,
    but then you need to try to do even more planks and push-ups to get a little bigger in your shoulders, if you want (I think it would look great on you).
  • Blondie1984
    Blondie1984 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Just have to say you look amazing already :):)
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    If you want muscle tone do Jillians No more Trouble Zones not alot of Cardio (like jumping jacks) but it is curcuit training bceause you are constantly moving. Use 3 pd weights at first so you know you have proper form and keep increasing from there. I did it with 5lbs my first time and my whole body hurt it felt GREAT!!!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I dunno. You look pretty lean and look really good. But if you wanted to make changes I would suggest maintenance on calories and doing some strength training and conditioning (P90X, weights, etc). Just recomposite your body and tone really.

Cheers.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Strong broscience. That's nonsensical. Not doing any sort of cardio while losing weight, with the reasoning that you can introduce cardio to "push the body off the homeostasis pedestal" to start fat loss makes no sense at all. Produce some scientific evidence for that if you want anyone to accept it.

I love when the only thing people will accept are links. Matt has years and years of experience at a very high level of the game training both himself and others, and you want him to provide you with links for every utterance.

The OP, who looks great, does not need cardio at this time and everything else Matt said was sound advice. Please provide some links that say otherwise.

Edited to add: note to the OP, the actress in the professional photo shoot has a body that's much more similar to your current body than you might think. That photo is airbrushed like crazy. Be very careful about setting your goals to look like people that don't even look like what they look like, knowwhatimsayin?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I love when the only thing people will accept are links. Matt has years and years of experience at a very high level of the game training both himself and others, and you want him tov provide you with links for every utterance.

The OP, who looks great, does not need cardio at this time and everything else Matt said was sound advice. Please provide some links that say otherwise.

I love when people expect random strangers on the internet to take their word for something when they have zero evidence to back up their claims.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    I love when the only thing people will accept are links. Matt has years and years of experience at a very high level of the game training both himself and others, and you want him tov provide you with links for every utterance.

I love when people expect random strangers on the internet to take their word for something when they have zero evidence to back up their claims.

Please explain your thoughts. Why is it broscience my friend?
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Calculate TDEE.

Weight loss will stop.
    Fat loss will continue.
    Lean mass gains will happen slowly.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

PM me if you need help.

EDIT: Drop cardio completely since you no longer need it.

Listen to this man, he speaks the truth.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Please explain your thoughts. Why is it broscience my friend?

What evidence have you seen that convinced you of any of that?

The entire idea seems to be holding off on cardio because introducing cardio is a tool you want to use later to kick-start fat loss once you plateau. I have never seen any evidence that such a phenomenon exists.

There's no reason not to do some cardio. It's healthy. It helps push your caloric deficit in a healthy way. It's good for your VO2 max, which is good for your lifting.