Chalene Extreme vs P90X

Options
Can someone please tell me about Chalene extreme? I'm currently doing Jillian Michaels body revolution but wanting to do another series of dvd's when I am done. I keep hearing about Chalene extreme and was wondering if it's worth it. I need a workout that only last 30-45 mins and one that will involve cardio plus weights.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Replies

• Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    bump
  • The_New_Christina
    The_New_Christina Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • mcouturezz
    Options
    I strongly recommend.
    I did CLX from Sept. 24th to Dec. 22nd and had great results with it.
    It was my 1st strength training workout program ever and I absolutely loved it.
    It comes with a schedule and track sheets you can follow up the weights you use and all.

After that I did 1 month of Brazil Butt Lift and now am doing Les Mills Combat ( 9 weeks program ) and it's just crazy good !

Go for it !!

PS: If you want you can PM me I'll give you a link to my blog on CLX with progress and pics.
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Well Chalean combines everything you are asking for! I personally love it....... :happy: it combines HIIT with weights and yoga/zen at the end of week if you follow the programme you will get results was worth it for me
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Neither of those is really very good at anything in particular. They're solid cardio, but they mix pretty poor strength training in and cram it all together in ridiculous high-intensity workouts that are designed to just make you feel super exhausted.

Strength training and cardio have different goals and don't belong in the same workout - you compromise the effectiveness of both.

They're also not sustainable. They're "quick fixes" that don't fix anything.

The better thing to do is moderate cardio 2-3 times a week and, strength train on 2-3 different days, and have 1-2 rest days.
  • AMHouse85
    AMHouse85 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I have done some of the p90x videos(Kenpo & Ab Ripper) and am currently working through TurboFire. Just personality wise I like Chalene a lot more than Tony, not that I don't like Tony but Chalene is just so upbeat and encouraging. I don't get that extra push from Tony.
  • SpaceMarkus
    Options
    CLX (ChaLEAN) is a great beginning strength program. Don't get fooled because Chalene is a cardio junkie. You'll be lifting at least 3 days a week and working basic routines. Squats, lunges, curls, presses, it's all there. There are two cardio workouts that are really good, too.
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    P90x and CLX do not consistently combine both cardio and strength training in the same workout. They do, however, combine strength and cardio within the program.

P90x is longer, particularly within the beginning phases of CLX. Think = P90x 60minutes vs CLX 35-45 minutes (does get longer towards end phases)

Both programs mix cardio days and strength days, getting cardio from various approaches (ie. Plyo, Cardio Intervals) As well as yoga.

P90x is looking at heavy weights throughout programming. CLX various it based on what 'phase' you are in...lighter weights (but still decent weight recommended) for high rep volume, transitioning into heavier weight, lower reps as you progress in the program.

None of these are 'quick fixes' as mentioned in a previous post, given that each takes months of working out, being consistent, and of course making healthy food choices. Both programs I have worked with and are great. Yes, cardio and strength training without at home DVDS is efficient but dependent on your goals and what's available to you...your approach will differ.

Chalene is very motivating and upbeat, if you like that approach. Tony is pretty straight forward with his approach. To each his own. :smile:
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    dump
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Neither of those is really very good at anything in particular. They're solid cardio, but they mix pretty poor strength training in and cram it all together in ridiculous high-intensity workouts that are designed to just make you feel super exhausted.

Strength training and cardio have different goals and don't belong in the same workout - you compromise the effectiveness of both.

The better thing to do is moderate cardio 2-3 times a week and, strength train on 2-3 different days, and have 1-2 rest days.

Are you kidding me? Chalene is 3 days of compound weight lifting, 3 days of cardio, and some abs and yoga if you like. It's done AMAZING things for my body. I hope no one reads your incorrect information and decides the program is not for them. Sorry, but you are just mis-informed.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options

Uh. No.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Can someone please tell me about Chalene extreme? I'm currently doing Jillian Michaels body revolution but wanting to do another series of dvd's when I am done. I keep hearing about Chalene extreme and was wondering if it's worth it. I need a workout that only last 30-45 mins and one that will involve cardio plus weights.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Don't listen to the other poster, NEITHER of these are "quick fixes". They are more than just a "90 day challenge". You will probably use these videos again, much like your Jillian video!

Both will delivery results. P90X is more heavy lifting so it depends on what you want.
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options

Are you kidding me? Chalene is 3 days of compound weight lifting, 3 days of cardio, and some abs and yoga if you like. It's done AMAZING things for my body. I hope no one reads your incorrect information and decides the program is not for them. Sorry, but you are just mis-informed.

Let's see. And I'm 38. My first round of P90X. BF% 23% to 15% Biceps grew 3 inches (12-15) Quads 4 inches, grew a 6 pack from nothing. popped muscles in my forearms that I never knew existed. Triceps...incredible........Nah........doesn't work at all....lol For women starting out...probably Chalene...more advanced and men P90. The technical term is circuit training. If you want bulk, goto a gym 3 times a week and lift the heaviest possible weight and do a couple cardio days. Want lean go with the home workouts, even TaeBo (old school) will kick your butt.
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options

I don't agree with this at all. And while there are other options out there, she specifically asked about those two programs. If P90X was a quick fix, I wouldn't look the way I look. .
  • pojo30
    pojo30 Posts: 62
    Options
    I like Met-RX 180. It combines cardio and weights. It also has the menu guide to help you plan your meals.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys! I will probably look into it when I finish with my body revolution. With the Chalean dvd's how much space do I need to work out? I'm thinking of changing my workout area to another room because my husband is always laughing at me while I workout (But would NEVER join me!:grumble: )

I'm glad to know that the workouts aren't too long. I have to make sure I fit it all in before my 3 year old gets up and decides that it's time for mom to stop!:ohwell:
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I went from BR to P90X. I really enjoy the program and am seeing great results, but they may be a bit too long for you. Most of the workouts are 60-90 minutes.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I went from BR to P90X. I really enjoy the program and am seeing great results, but they may be a bit too long for you. Most of the workouts are 60-90 minutes.

Yeah, that sound like a bit too long. I'll wait until my son is in school first. :smile:
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first week of CLX and I love it. I've done JM and don't really care for it. I don't care what she says about 400 lb people being able to do jumping jacks...if you have bad knees it is ridiculous to keep doing them when it causes so much pain. ChaLean is so much more motivating to me than JM.