Getting Rid of Cable

Options

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I havent had cable since 2004. I have an antenna which gets plenty of chanels here in LA, but really I just use TV for background noise as I fall asleep...and to watch biggest loser.
  • bluskies01
    bluskies01 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I pay about 40 dollars for my internet. It's DSL, but really it's fast enough for me. Both Netflix and Hulu allow you to select your internet speed so that it won't constantly buffer. I also don't have an LCD or plasma TV, some have said DSL and those types of TV don't mix. I could get the Time Warner (I think it's called Road Runner Lite? It's not as high speed as their bundled packages but again it works for friends of mine). But with Windstream I also get a "free" phone line (incoming and toll free calls only). I use Google Voice for all my phone calls with the landline, and use the GV app to text on my cell. So that keeps my cell bill low ($12 a month although I could go lower). So I figure I save more in the long run by having my DSL since I get free phone service with GV.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    If it wasn't for sports, i would have cancelled long time ago.

this - 100%

i know i can get most ESPN channels online, but outside of that i need Directv in order to be able to get the NFL package. and i get most Penguins and Pirates games on local stations, I don't know if they are offered online...
  • oudixon
    oudixon Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Who would want Penguins and the Pirates? HAHA GO REDS!

Thanks. I am thinking it is worth trying for a while.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I haven't had cable for five or six years now. I don't miss it at all. We have Netflix, but I rarely watch it. I spend all of my time on the internet anyways. You'll be surprised how quickly you get used to it.
  • bship15_wechanged
    bship15_wechanged Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I know of an online site that you can stream most sports each night- at least for now. So I am just curious. The games I hate to miss is college football.

I don't know much about Roku- I am now searching it. ha

Basic channels should be be able to see alot of the big games on.....CBS, ABC, NBC.....and ESPN 3 has a ton of games as well. Ditch it I am glad I did.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Everytime I hear roku, I think of this:

Roku.png
  • LemonsAndCoffee
    LemonsAndCoffee Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Also how do you take someone else's quote and put it in your own message?

Bump because we have been toying with the idea of getting rid of cable also.
    And to answer your question, go to the originial message and hit "quote" - just make sure you don't type within the 'quote' brackets or your post will be in blue also
  • Momf3boys
    Momf3boys Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I couldn't imagine not having cable...I just switched providers because I had Comcast and they were terrible...now I have Verizon Fios...and I bundled...we allllll bundle (it's a commercial....lol)
  • oudixon
    Options
    Also how do you take someone else's quote and put it in your own message?

Bump because we have been toying with the idea of getting rid of cable also.
    And to answer your question, go to the originial message and hit "quote" - just make sure you don't type within the 'quote' brackets or your post will be in blue also

Thank You!
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Got rid of my cable and going with Netflix and an Apple TV. (We don't have hulu here, or I'd be all over that). Since I don't give a damn about sports I'm very pleased at the savings and better content.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I keep "analog basic" cable for $8/mo, which is unadvertised, and, despite the misleading name, gives me all the basic digital channels that are broadcast in my area. In HD, too. It's a good thing to have the local news channels, and saves me the hassle of setting up an antenna.

Add Netflix on top of that for $15/mo and that's really it. Everything else is on demand.

Spending an extra $120 on top of that is pointless. I need to watch less TV, not more.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I just cut the cable last week! I did not know abut the Roku, but we might have to check that out.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I have been cableless for almost two years. Get a Roku, Netflix, and Hulu. That way you can watch TV shows and rent movies through Amazon when you wish.

Pretty much this. Cable is a waste of money. I gave it up a couple of years ago--even with my Netflix/Hulu subscriptions, I'm still saving tons. Other shows I'm able to watch some way, whether online or otherwise.

This. I have Amazon prime too, but that is mainly for the free two day shipping. I also have Vonage connected to the internet so I have a basic phone line that doubles as a fax. I don't miss regular TV at all.
  • monkeefun
    monkeefun Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    We've more than considered getting rid of cable many times. We don't watch a lot of TV anyway (and what we do typically watch is on the basic local channels anyway), and we have Netflix. Much better deal, I think..
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I have grown up with cable my entire life and moving out on my own, I can obviously not afford the $100+ for all those channels.

I have Netflix and unblockus (makes me look like I live in the USA so I can get American Netflix MUAHAHAHA.... But I can actually get any countries Netflix)...

For $13 a month, I learned to get used to in a couple weeks haha.
  • Helenov
    Options
    Get rid of it! We dumped our cable 2 years ago and have loved every minute of life after cable.

Even in Canada you can get a lot of content from netflix & online. Most channels have shows you can watch online.

You can get a digital antenna for less than $100 and even in our suburban area we get 10 or so channels. We watch the ones that are in full HD, for free.

I've noticed we're watching less TV as time goes on, now there are evenings we don't turn it on at all, and we talk or play games with the kids instead. Never thought I'd see that day!
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    fwiw there are also sites out there that stream your favorite shows shortly after they are on T.V. You can download them... watch... then delete.
  • Compudad
    Compudad Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I use a product called the Visio Co-Star. It is a small Google TV box with several different video streaming services, a web browser, email and any other Android application that you can get.

It cost $100. and is the best thing ever to happen to television. Got mine at visio.com

That looks complicated, just looking at the requirements. You have to buy a server for it? Sounds expensive.

There is no server for it, it is a standalone box for a hundred bucks. that hooks up to your tv and internet. The only cost I have is the monthly netflix bill.
  • oudixon
    Options
    Now, I just have to find good internet at a decent price.