Overeating Healthy and Overeating in General

Options
I've been trying really hard to eat healthier. A lot more fruit & veggies & "protein"/100 calorie snacks. The problem I'm running into is that I either eat a ton of these things or I go off the deep end and really eat things that I shouldn't be eating (like, most of this week). Each day I start out thinking that I won't be going over my calories, but even with working out I'm still always going over, and thats USING my exercise calories.

I guess what I'm after (besides a little support), are tips on whats healthy to eat that will fill me better (because it seems like I'm ALWAYS hungry) and what are some things I can indulge in that won't cost me big on my calories. Help, please?

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    What's your calorie goal? My first guess is your goal is too low.

Second, for ME, I think all those 100-calorie snacks are pretty much garbage. If I snack (which I rarely do) I go with fruit, raw veggies, nuts, a protein bar, or mozzarella cheese sticks. The trick is to combine your snacks to have carbs, protein, and fat in relatively equal amounts in one sitting.

What has helped me is eating bigger meals less often. If I have big, satisfying meals I don't have the desire to snack in between at all.
  • kittpitt
    kittpitt Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you eat lots of fiber it expands and makes you feel fuller,drink lots of water sometimes when we think we are hungry we are just thirsty. Good luck.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    What has helped me is eating bigger meals less often. If I have big, satisfying meals I don't have the desire to snack in between at all.

This. It goes against a lot of advice -- but it's how lots of people eat in this world. Basically, I eat three meals a day. I eat them at the table. Sometimes we have a little something with our after dinner tea, but most of my calories are consumed in three larger batches. And they're real meals, on plates, at a set table. I find that a lot more satisfying in the long run than having a little something here and a little something there...

I think some of it is that when I cut out snacking and put those calories into real meals, the food is just better quality food at meals. Because I'm big on my kids having a real family dinner almost every night, I meal plan and cook. That means a balanced combination of protein/carbs/fats, a focus on tasty veggies, etc. It also makes eating more of a planned part of my day.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    I agree with the two major point already stated.

1. If you set your calories to a reasonable number, and eat real food, not sugary treats, you won't feel hungry all the time.

2. Eat two or three good sized meals a day, not five or six. Larger meals with plenty of fat and protein and fiber will keep you from wanting to snack at all. At least, that's what works for me.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to give tips without knowing what you are currently eating and when. Everyone is different. Some like to eat several small meals a day so that they never go more then 2-3 hours without eating. Others like to wait and eat all their calories within a certain window of time. Some like the standard breakfast, lunch, dinner. Some people like to eat basically the same thing every day, others need variety.

I think you really just need to play around with different meal times until you find what makes you satisfied. Also, don't eat too low fat. Fat is high calorie, but it's satisfying and makes food taste good. Protein and fiber slow digestion and can help you feel full longer. Instead of snacking on crackers or cookies, try nuts and fruit or granola made with whole grains and little added sugar. Make sure meals include protein, fat and fiber. Don't eat a lot of junk food, but eat foods you enjoy. When you are restricting calories, don't waste them on things you are "supposed" to eat but don't like.
  • JustThriveCo
    Options
    If you give your body the right kind of protein and nutrients (vitamins and minerals) at every meal, your hunger pains and cravings will disappear. Honest! Changing this one thing in my diet not only put the brakes on cravings for me and about a dozen of my friends ... I lost my first 30 lbs before I even added exercise, and have easily kept it off!

Friend me if you need a nutrition buddy or need to see exactly how I eat for longevity not short term numbers on a scale.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Open you diary...without your diary open, it is somewhat difficult to advise.

My first thought is that your weight loss goal may be too aggressive. I started out trying to lose 2 Lbs per week because I just wanted it off. I was absolutely miserable even when I ate back exercise calories...I was hungry all of the time. I quickly realized that my goal was too lofty and that I'd be better off with a smaller deficit and slower weight loss because at least it would be sustainable and I wouldn't be hating life. I dialed it back to 1 Lb per week and it was much better...and gave me an extra 500 calories per day that I could either use or not use depending on how I was feeling.

As far as food goes...I'm a 5-6 times per day eater...pretty much always have been. If I only eat 3 meals per day, they have to be huge and I feel pretty much sick after I"ve eaten them. In that RE, it's really what works for you. As noted by other posters, that works for them...doesn't work for me.

If you're going to snack and eat 5-6 times per day, it's pretty important to select satiating items. Stay away from heavily processed carbs and even things like protein bars, etc...every see how many grams of sugar are in one of those protein bars? That'll basically go right through you and leave you hungry in an hour or so. Do stuff like plain greek yogurt and add your own fruit...1/2 an avocado is an excellent and satiating snack. Nuts are fantastic and nutritious. And veg, veg, veg...more than fruit. I try to keep my fruit to 2 servings or so per day, but I have about 4-5 servings of veg (I drink a couple of those servings). Lots of protein and lots of fiber...easy on the carbs, more heart healthy fats.
  • lilrhody
    lilrhody Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    First, get rid of those 100 calorie snack packs - they are usually fulled with junk and won't help with real hunger. I used to rely on those prepackaged snacks and found that I always was hungry. It's great to have 100 calorie snacks, but make them yourself - apple slices with peanut butter or cheese, greek yogurt with fresh fruit, a handful of mixed nuts, baby carrots dipped in hummus or ranch dressing, a slice of turkey with some cheese - all those are good snack options.

Second, when you eat meals, fill at least 1/2 your plate with vegetables - they will help fill you up without adding tons of calories.
  • gmar84
    gmar84 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Open you diary...without your diary open, it is somewhat difficult to advise.

My first thought is that your weight loss goal may be too aggressive. I started out trying to lose 2 Lbs per week because I just wanted it off. I was absolutely miserable even when I ate back exercise calories...I was hungry all of the time. I quickly realized that my goal was too lofty and that I'd be better off with a smaller deficit and slower weight loss because at least it would be sustainable and I wouldn't be hating life. I dialed it back to 1 Lb per week and it was much better...and gave me an extra 500 calories per day that I could either use or not use depending on how I was feeling.

As far as food goes...I'm a 5-6 times per day eater...pretty much always have been. If I only eat 3 meals per day, they have to be huge and I feel pretty much sick after I"ve eaten them. In that RE, it's really what works for you. As noted by other posters, that works for them...doesn't work for me.

If you're going to snack and eat 5-6 times per day, it's pretty important to select satiating items. Stay away from heavily processed carbs and even things like protein bars, etc...every see how many grams of sugar are in one of those protein bars? That'll basically go right through you and leave you hungry in an hour or so. Do stuff like plain greek yogurt and add your own fruit...1/2 an avocado is an excellent and satiating snack. Nuts are fantastic and nutritious. And veg, veg, veg...more than fruit. I try to keep my fruit to 2 servings or so per day, but I have about 4-5 servings of veg (I drink a couple of those servings). Lots of protein and lots of fiber...easy on the carbs, more heart healthy fats.

Good advise I just have one question.... How the heck can you people eat PLAIN Greek yogurt? I mean, it has such a bitter taste. I have to buy the Chobani fruit on the bottom...seriously, I love eating healthy, I just don't know how some people can eat plain greek yogurt...blows my mind....
  • NeverTooLateForChange
    Options
    I drink lots, and lots, and lots of water all the day long. Every day. It helps with hunger, hydration, constipation overall health...Everything.
  • butterfly10398
    Options
    Good advise I just have one question.... How the heck can you people eat PLAIN Greek yogurt? I mean, it has such a bitter taste. I have to buy the Chobani fruit on the bottom...seriously, I love eating healthy, I just don't know how some people can eat plain greek yogurt...blows my mind....

I LOVE plain greek yogurt, it has somewhat of a sour taste to it, but it doesn't have all the added sugars that are bad for you.. I usually take FRESH fruit and cut it up and add some of that to my yogurt, strawberries, grapes, blueberries, raspberries, black berries, etc.... Of course not all of those at one time :-D But I will allow it is probably an acquired taste.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options

The only time I eat plain greek in a plain fashion is when I use it for a sour creme substitute. Otherwise, I add fresh fruit, granola, dried cranberries, etc to it. It's much better for you that way than the flavored type (though i'm guilty of eating those too).

I also now pay attention to the ingredients in greek yogurt. Some are most definately more healthy than others. I was amazed to see that plain greek god organic only had 12 grams of protein, compated for fage which had 18 for the same serving size. And some are loaded with sugar.
  • butterfly10398
    Options
    I've been trying really hard to eat healthier. A lot more fruit & veggies & "protein"/100 calorie snacks. The problem I'm running into is that I either eat a ton of these things or I go off the deep end and really eat things that I shouldn't be eating (like, most of this week). Each day I start out thinking that I won't be going over my calories, but even with working out I'm still always going over, and thats USING my exercise calories.

I guess what I'm after (besides a little support), are tips on whats healthy to eat that will fill me better (because it seems like I'm ALWAYS hungry) and what are some things I can indulge in that won't cost me big on my calories. Help, please?

as for eating healthy, I have to say I agree with the previous poster that said the 100 calorie snacks are garbage.... there is nothing substantial to them that will make you feel full... I use them only when I'm craving something that I know I shouldn't really have... I eat a LOT of fresh fruits and veggies.... And I spread them out through my morning that way I am not feeling as hungry as often... definitely add protein and fiber to your diet, things like pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds or almonds are good for "snacking" as long as you portion it out so you don't over eat.... And make sure you drink your water... that is VERY important...

Best of luck! :-)
  • FordGal40
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I'm going to try some of the suggestions & see how they help! Happy Sunday!