morning workout?

Options

Replies

• naomitatum10
    Options
    Have everything ready to go in the morning. For me, since I work out at home, I need to have my clothes laid out, the dvd in the player, everything. If I have to look for anything I will think about that when I wake up and I will get demotivated. I also don't hit snooze at all because if I do then I'm donefore and will keep doing it. You just have to want things to change bad enough. I used to be the same way but now I want so badly to be healthier and look better and that really motivates me.
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Just finished my 32 week of working out everyday before work (since July 2) and I have to be in my car for work by 6:30AM every morning and sometimes earlier. I started by simply making myself wake up at 5AM every morning and workout for at least 15 minutes. It hurt at first but you just have to do it. It won't feel great but then again waking up for work doesn't feel good but we do it. What I found was that I got a rush of energy from my workouts and very rapidly wanted to keep doing them just because I felt great throughout my morning and found myself much more productive. My workouts have naturally grown to 35 to 60 minutes long depending on my schedule.

It sucks and hurts when you start but if you keep at it and don't give in just because it feels bad, they you will get to a point where it doesn't hurt quite so bad (6 to 8 weeks) and finally to a point where it is just what you do (12 to 14 weeks). I cannot control all that happens during my day and cannot guaranty that I will have the time or energy to workout after work. I now pay my health first and workout first. I have the whole rest of the day to workout how to make up for the lost time (about 15 minutes) which I do quite easily by simply being more productive.
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I workout right next to my work as well. The building is in the same parking lot. Then I go to my work, shower there ,put on their scrubs and I am good for the day :)
    Been working out in the morning for nearly three years now. I do it five days a week. I don't have children so it makes it easy for me but I wouldn't have it any other way. I work out at my place of business and then shower there as well. I feel so much better knowing I have accomplished this in the morning and then I don't have to worry about it in the afternoon when I don't feel like it. Good luck, you can do it!!!!!
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Are you going to be going to a gym in the morning or just working out at home?

Because for me, I go to a gym, and then head straight to work after. I've found one of the most helpful things is that I have to pack all of my stuff (clothes, make up, hair dryer etc) the night before. it actually takes a bit of time, so if I end up not going the next morning, I feel bad about wasting all that time getting my stuff together for no reason! Kind of silly, but it really works for me!

Most likely I will just be running. That is my workout of choice at the moment... or a video.
  • degan2011
    Options
    This seems the most accurate for me too. It definitely helps to break it down to small steps and remind myself that Jillian's video is short. Days I go to the gym, I remind myself that I enjoy it almost every time once I get started. Treadmill work is actually kind of fun with the right playlist in my ears. Just don't get carried away and trip or knock your ipod to the floor, which I have done. My friend and I will use the same kind of method we do for going out to a club...start the motivating/let's dance/let's do this!! music going a prior to leaving.
    That is too funny! I have knocked my phone to the floor from the elliptical/treadmill to many times!! haha!
  • jensweighingin
    jensweighingin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I pack everything the night before. I have my gym bag and clothes ready to go, my food packed for the day. I also put what I can in the car so I don't have to think about it. My food is prepacked in containers and ready to grab and I make a list of what I need to bring, so I don't forget anything. Nothing derails a good workout like forgetting your yummy homemade low cal snacks and having to hit the vending machine. I also meet a friend 3 days a week, so that helps me. It becomes a habit. I will not work out after my shower, but I will do it before.
  • degan2011
    Options
    Sleep in your workout clothes. That way all you have to do is throw your shoes on and you're ready to go! :) It really helps.

someone else mentioned this too... I think that might work, at least in the winter... summer gets hot even with AC.

I really liked all the suggestions from everyone!!! thank you so much for responding. I will start with having my workout stuff ready to rock and roll in the morning and (if it is ok) I will tell myself that I can't have wasted the time of everyone on MFP who responded. haha! :wink:
    I just know I really need to do SOMETHING as my weight is creeping back up, even though I haven't been eating over my net cal goal. i really think it is because of my schedule change and inability to work out. I really want to just get it done and out of the way so I don't have to stress over it in the afternoon/evening.
    I need to look up the app someone mentioned that you can record your own voice to wake myself up with a motivating "alarm". That sounds like fun (and I am so into gimics, it's sad really...) :tongue:
    Again, thank you all, I feel more motivated already... :drinker:
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I can relate - I am the queen of the alarm clock snooze button.... I hate getting up early. But, just this week I realized the best time for me to workout is early morning- before my days starts - kids up and to school, me for work. Soooooo, I got up early, and it was HARD, even though I hit snooze once, and it took a bit to actually wake myself up but once I was awake and working out, I was really HAPPY. Then I wished, I got up earlier so I could have more time. I think if you can actually try it a few times, getting up will be easier because you will want to, because you are getting up for you! hope that helps motivate you.
  • jrompola
    jrompola Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I am so busy with school, family and work that I really need to workout in the morning or it won't happen often enough... I need something to motivate me to get my butt out of bed.... I HATE early morning... I am the person who hits snooze up till the last minute. I have even stood up next to my bed to go workout and talked myself into getting back into bed again. I have to leave for work by 6:40 am.

Any ideas, thoughts on early morning motivation?

What time do you typically go to bed at night? Try going to bed 45 minutes earlier and getting up 45 minutes earlier to work out. I used to get up to workout only to watch the DVD on TV and I'd sit there and play on the laptop, but I was going to bed at 1130 and trying to get up at 6am. Now I go to bed at 9:30 and get up at 5:35. I'm not missing much between 9:30 and 11:30, but I'm gaining so much more in the morning when I workout
  • degan2011
    Options
    I'm sure some will say that 5-Hour Energy isn't the best thing for you, which I would have to agree. However, they way I see it, the benefits of forcing me to get up and workout outweigh any negatives 5-Hour Energy might create.

Actually they aren't as bad as you might think.. they have less caffeine than a cup of coffee, and most of the energy comes from the proprietary blend of vitamins that are in the drink. :) I may have to try this, too! :)
  • cole_ashleyy
    cole_ashleyy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I saw someone saying they set 3 alarms... I actually do the same even though I get up right away just in case :)
    But really, just make yourself do it... eventually it'll become more like habit so it won't feel so difficult... it'll probably just be the first few weeks or so that the whole getting out of bed part is gonna be rough.
  • degan2011
    Options

Once you do it for a while, the habit of getting up will get stronger. I still want to stay in bed, but I get up all on my own now. ; )

eventually it'll become more like habit so it won't feel so difficult...

This seems to be theme... :) and is my hope... :) Thanks!
  • degan2011
    Options
    YAY!!! I may have a morning workout partner!!! I am so excited! thanks again for all the advice. I don't think I would have asked this person without your motivation! :)
  • Crystaleyed
    Crystaleyed Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have an audition in the morning so I have to go to bed early and can't really look at everyone's comments, but it would be good to see what everyone's tips are since I will be going to Uni. in September and could do with some advice on doing workouts before lectures {I don't do any now because the gyms not open in time and my area is not safe}.
  • degan2011
    Options
    I have an audition in the morning so I have to go to bed early and can't really look at everyone's comments, but it would be good to see what everyone's tips are since I will be going to Uni. in September and could do with some advice on doing workouts before lectures {I don't do any now because the gyms not open in time and my area is not safe}.

Does your university have a weight room? will they let you use it when class is not in? I just run, but if you are not in a safe area... another option would be crossfit or tabata training. more workout, less time. :)
  • NVREST
    NVREST Posts: 94
    Options
    ... go to bed early enough to have sufficient sleep...
    .. have your workout clothes or whatever you use ready to go
    ... have your clothing for work ready to go as well when you are back
    ... get your alarm ready and make it happen at least once to get there...
    ... have an idea about your workout plan in advance so you know what you want to accomplish that day..

IT IS NOT EASY.... but it will get easier to overcome little by little...
  • degan2011
    Options
    ... have an idea about your workout plan in advance so you know what you want to accomplish that day..

I have started with a personal trainer who is working out with me every morning at 5AM!! uggg! but is has been really good, and I don't feel toooo tired. He has my workout planned and I have my stuff set out the night before. so far so good.. 2 days in a row! haha!
  • degan2011
    Options
    Ok, so made 4 out of 5 days so far. Wednesday my trainer "called in sick" and we didn't have a workout planned out ahead of time, so I went back to bed. (we managed to get a workout in in the evening though.) so now we will have something ready I can do if that happens again, so I don't have to try to think about it. :) (thinking at 5am just is NOT an option! haha!)

Thanks again for all your support!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Ok, so made 4 out of 5 days so far. Wednesday my trainer "called in sick" and we didn't have a workout planned out ahead of time, so I went back to bed. (we managed to get a workout in in the evening though.) so now we will have something ready I can do if that happens again, so I don't have to try to think about it. :) (thinking at 5am just is NOT an option! haha!)

Thanks again for all your support!

Yay!!! That's great!
  • GodzillaR35
    GodzillaR35 Posts: 73 Member
    Options

this