My husbands epic list of all the foods he will eat

Options

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Lol I wouldn't cater to him. I will make whatever I want. We will both eat just about anything though. As long as it's real food! hhaha I wont eat his frozen corn dogs or macaroni and cheese. If it's his night to cook dinner and that's what he comes up with, I will just make my own dinner.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    lol so much of this made me laugh : ) its so bland! ugh well anyways if I do let him have his meals and make me something else how do I keep cost down? should I stop buying soups and ravioli and salsbury steaks and all of the stuff he hates and stick to just these foods? for all of you who said your husbands list is the same how do you keep variety for yourselves while still making the same foods every single week?

Buy the things he likes, then change up how they are prepared. Make 1 his way, then make a sauce and a side and whatever else that you and the kids like. Let him have his steak. You can have steak with mushroom sauce, asparagus, etc.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Tell him to grow the f up or get the f out. Problem solved. I bet he starts eating when he gets hungry enough. Works for children of all ages,
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    My bf has a long list of foods he won't eat. If I am cooking (there is also my three year old), I make what I want to make. He and my son try it. If they don't like it (either of them) they eat peanut butter and jelly. Period. I work full time and I am not going to make three different dinners for three people. I do TRY to make things I know he likes on occasion but for the most part I'm cooking and he is okay with that because he doesn't cook at all.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ps: my husband says "If you cook it, I'll eat it". And if I don't cook it (most of the time) he will cook something for the both of us.

But seriously, ANYTHING I cook, he will eat.
  • kkaci5
    kkaci5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I would add spinach to the first 9 options ... in fact I generally do! Cut it up small -- he shouldn't notice.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I divorced the man who insisted on a limited list like this. Not because of his limited tastes, but because the rest of us (three sons) suffered if anything didn't go his way- even at work. But I know how frustrating it is. You have my sympathy. IF YOU CAN, let him fix his own meals. I was able to do this by feeding my kids early and getting them bathed and ready for bed before he came home in the winter, but during the summer they would want to be outside long in to the evening so it didn't work then. For a long time it was hard to get my kids to eat healthier things, too. But as young adults they do a bit better, sometimes.
  • TimeForMe99
    Options
    Sounds like me, but my choices are even more limited.... And they can't touch each other. At all.

Does that apply to tacos, too?
  • fabulara
    fabulara Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    A few suggestions: since he won't permit you to add to what he likes, how would this work?

When you cook pasta, also cook something like zucchini slices. Serve it separately. Mix the zucchini in with your own pasta portion and your children's at the table. Let your husband eat the pasta w/o the vegetable(s). For weight loss, I try to replace half the pasta in my portion w. vegetables.(Sometimes I saute the vegetables with onion and garlic to make them tastier--or, I just rely on the sauce for flavor, microwave the veg.)

For pizza, serve basic pizza with tomato sauce, let each person build out their own slices from bowls of sausage, grated cheese, a vegetable like cooked frozen chopped spinach (my personal choice), broccoli, sliced artichoke hearts--whatever. If necessary, rewarm the constructed slices in the oven or even the microwave.

For tacos, I serve empty shells with bowls of shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, ground meat, guacamole, sauce and so on.Let people fill their own shells. A person could go extra heavy on the lettuce and tomato, light on the meat, avocado, sour cream, cheese, etc.

I once read that the four most fattening foods are beef, nuts, cheese, and avocados. The taco reipes I'm familiar with have three of those four, with sour cream thrown in to boot, so I try to put out a huge bowl of lettuce and lots of tomato, then I stint on the rich stuff for myself.

I haven't a clue what you can do about enchiladas. I usually add chopped spinach to mine before I bake them--but probably your husband wouldn't tolerate that. I guess if I were in your posibion I would serve myself a half portion, then mix it with cooked spinach served in a separate bowl at the table.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Oh, I do want to mention, there is such a thing as a super-taster. These people taste everything more intensely, so they will only want bland foods. Vegetables are often too bitter for them. And fruit too sweet. BUT, they won't eat spicy, so anyone who does is not a super-taster.
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Sounds just like my lovely boyfriend! His trips to mcdonalds as well, the worst part is HE"S TINY! He loses weight all the time without trying... on his beer and whatever he feels like diet.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Oh, I do want to mention, there is such a thing as a super-taster. These people taste everything more intensely, so they will only want bland foods. Vegetables are often too bitter for them. And fruit too sweet. BUT, they won't eat spicy, so anyone who does is not a super-taster.

Interesting. Little kids are usually like that. My 5 year old wont eat hardly anything. Pepperoni is even too spicy for him.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    But this guy lives on tacos and sloppy joes.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    does he ever poop?

lol
  • 55tolose
    55tolose Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    ya we make an orange chicken sauce from scratch that we came up with together (after about 3 years of trying to get him to taste orange chicken lol) and it includes red pepper flakes and he likes to add extra to make it more spicey
  • ajourney2beme
    ajourney2beme Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I divorced the man who insisted on a limited list like this. Not because of his limited tastes, but because the rest of us (three sons) suffered if anything didn't go his way- even at work. But I know how frustrating it is. You have my sympathy. IF YOU CAN, let him fix his own meals. I was able to do this by feeding my kids early and getting them bathed and ready for bed before he came home in the winter, but during the summer they would want to be outside long in to the evening so it didn't work then. For a long time it was hard to get my kids to eat healthier things, too. But as young adults they do a bit better, sometimes.

I'm sorry you went through whatever you went through with your husband, but you contradicted yourself with that first sentence. You clearly didn't divorce your husband because of a 'limited list of food' he would eat, and it seems a little strange you would condone doing that (when you then said you didn't) to the OP as an okay choice. I do agree if letting him fix his own meals is a choice then let him do it, but only the OP can really know how well her husband would take that kind of thing.
  • ajourney2beme
    ajourney2beme Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    A few suggestions: since he won't permit you to add to what he likes, how would this work?

When you cook pasta, also cook something like zucchini slices. Serve it separately. Mix the zucchini in with your own pasta portion and your children's at the table. Let your husband eat the pasta w/o the vegetable(s). For weight loss, I try to replace half the pasta in my portion w. vegetables.(Sometimes I saute the vegetables with onion and garlic to make them tastier--or, I just rely on the sauce for flavor, microwave the veg.)

For pizza, serve basic pizza with tomato sauce, let each person build out their own slices from bowls of sausage, grated cheese, a vegetable like cooked frozen chopped spinach (my personal choice), broccoli, sliced artichoke hearts--whatever. If necessary, rewarm the constructed slices in the oven or even the microwave.

For tacos, I serve empty shells with bowls of shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, ground meat, guacamole, sauce and so on.Let people fill their own shells. A person could go extra heavy on the lettuce and tomato, light on the meat, avocado, sour cream, cheese, etc.

I once read that the four most fattening foods are beef, nuts, cheese, and avocados. The taco reipes I'm familiar with have three of those four, with sour cream thrown in to boot, so I try to put out a huge bowl of lettuce and lots of tomato, then I stint on the rich stuff for myself.

I haven't a clue what you can do about enchiladas. I usually add chopped spinach to mine before I bake them--but probably your husband wouldn't tolerate that. I guess if I were in your posibion I would serve myself a half portion, then mix it with cooked spinach served in a separate bowl at the table.

Great helpful suggestions for working with the situation!
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have been blessed in our 47 years of marriage. My husband came with very few dislikes and as has been said before I found that it was due to the way his mother fixed those dishes. I have always had a fondness for trying new foods and he has been very happy to let me do that. In return he gets his most favorites at least once a week. That means bacon and eggs, fried chicken everything else that is high in fat. I have just been able to change some of them up to a healthier way and find that he likes them also. When my father was sick with cancer and couldn't stand the smell of food mother fixed him a lot of smoothies with the things he needed. There is always a way to find the answer. Now I have to deal with a 10 year old grandson that has an even shorted list than your husband.
  • TimeForMe99
    Options
    lol so much of this made me laugh : ) its so bland! ugh well anyways if I do let him have his meals and make me something else how do I keep cost down? should I stop buying soups and ravioli and salsbury steaks and all of the stuff he hates and stick to just these foods? for all of you who said your husbands list is the same how do you keep variety for yourselves while still making the same foods every single week?

If you are buying canned ravioli and frozen salisbury steak then yes, stop. Those foods are not saving you money and are very unhealthy. It shouldn't cost more to buy him different foods; you'd spend the same to feed him regardless.
  • 55tolose
    55tolose Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    iv got a pen and a piece of paper... anyone willing to help me come up with 16-20 days worth of meals that are acceptable to him as "base" meals and then I can go back and figure out the vegies or variations I would like to do?

he cooks hamburgers, tacos, and pizza every friday, saturday, and sunday so thats working .....