Fast Food - Call Out!

Options

Replies

• kmor23
    Options
    Going to a fast food joint for a salad is like going to a hooker for a hug....

Try to keep fast food an occasional treat only

The salads are not what is bad--it's the dressing. You can make a "fast food" salad work if you are in a pinch.

I am a single mother, work full time, and go to school part time...and I almost always pack a lunch for work or bring a snack if I am going to be out in about--it's not impossible to be prepared no matter how busy our schedules are. It just comes down to how important it is to you.
  • jezzi16
    jezzi16 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm in the Subway is nasty camp. Those cold cuts are nasty looking, and I believe their bread is processed enriched crap. Only fast food I will normally eat is chipolte ( no sour cream or guac) and panera.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    McDonalds I get the southwest grilled chicken salad and at burger king I get their veggie burger!
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to do fast food, I prefer Culvers (I do like their soup) and Jimmy Johns (add dijon hold the mayo). Chipotle, Noodles & Company and Subway are the only other options close to work that I would consider. Near home, I have better options for healthier eating.

Noodles and Co is one of those places where when I started this I was WAY surpsied over the calorie intake of almost everything on their menu. It's do-able for me on a good day when I have calories to spare - but I hardly go there now.
  • justicer68
    justicer68 Posts: 1,223
    Options
    I normally will only eat what I make. Luckily I enjoy cooking. No processed stuff for me except maybe turkey bacon, cheese and yogurt. Trying to ditch the bacon too. Oh and the occassional Healthy Choice if an emergency happens but I try not to.

If I have to go to a FF place then I get a salad. I have my own dressing at work so I don't use there's. I stay away from the burgers and fries. they are evil and full of crap.
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm a manager for McDonald's so I've come up with some healthier options. I love to have grilled chicken with sweet and sour sauce - just the patties. So good! I eat pretty much any of the burgers without the bun. I love love love our Southwest salad. It's probably my favorite thing we offer. As far as breakfast goes, I usually eat an egg mcmuffin or an order of round eggs (it's an actual egg that we crack and cook) and steak.
  • artex1024
    artex1024 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I really don't like getting salads anywhere, simply because I feel like I could make one at home for like a buck. That said, I will occasionally crave the grilled chicken and berry salad from Wendy's. Just get the half size and leave off the nuts (if they're the candied ones). Their raspberry vinegarette (sp?) dressing is awesome. Also, their chili is fairly healthy. If I go to McDonalds, I'll get a plain burger, like the one that comes in the kid's meal and a fruit and yogurt parfait. Those are really the only two fast food places besides subway that I eat at. At subway, just stick to the healthy menu. Meatball subs are a no-no. lol
  • agoofynut
    agoofynut Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I only have two of those close to me.

Mcdonald's - I get a southwest salad with grilled chicken and the southwest dressing. Just under 300 calories as it comes including the dressing.

Wendy's - Chili or grilled chicken. If I'm really needing a burger, I get a double stack (from the value menu) and add tomato/lettuce.

I don't like fries, so not an issue for me. If you feel that you must have a side, both mcdonald's and wendy's have some kind of fruit. Mcdonald's is apples, (skip the dipping sauce) and I think wendy's is oranges.

And while you'll have a TON of people tell you that you won't lose weight when your eating fast food, I ate fast food probably daily while losing the first 80-90 pounds and still have it a couple of times a week now.
  • liftingcoach
    liftingcoach Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, when out on the road, you are forced to go to a fast food location. I always choose Wendy"s and get two grilled chicken sandwiches, and a plain baked potato. Throw away the bread from the sandwiches, and eat the grilled breast, with the lettuce and tomato, and just add ketchup to the baked potato. It works for me!
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I do sometimes need to eat on the road, I have a long commute. I use the term need loosely. Like I'm starving and I want something fast. I kinda follow if I have the calories eat it.

McDonald's - Often I get a happy meal. The nuggets have less calories than the cheeseburger and I find them more filling. The apples are a great touch here when all I really want is fries fries fries.
    Carl's Jr - we call those hardees here but I haven't been to one in a while but I would probably have a small burger or a chicken sandwich
    Burger King - I have never cared for their food?
    Wendy's - I usually get a small burger or chicken sandwich there. They have a pretty good value menu

We don't have the rest here. I also agree that Chick fila has a pretty good wrap but hold the dressing and I don't think their regular sandwiches are too bad. Subway is my favorite and yes I know that its not real chicken (lol) but compared to what I used to eat its practically health food and I feel like I get alot of food for my calories. I will tackle that when I get a handle on eating better in general.
  • katmumn
    katmumn Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to do fast food, I prefer Culvers (I do like their soup) and Jimmy Johns (add dijon hold the mayo). Chipotle, Noodles & Company and Subway are the only other options close to work that I would consider. Near home, I have better options for healthier eating.

Noodles and Co is one of those places where when I started this I was WAY surpsied over the calorie intake of almost everything on their menu. It's do-able for me on a good day when I have calories to spare - but I hardly go there now.

I agree, if I'm going to go to Noodles & Co, I usually do the small Japanese Pan Noodles with tofu or chicken but even that has to be on a day when I have the calories to spare.
  • sb277
    sb277 Posts: 6
    Options
    burger king-veggie burger-no mayo and no bun
  • Showgirlbody
    Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Also, I don't know if other states have The Habit Burger Grill, but they have a grilled chicken salad with fat free Italian that I ate a lot because it was next door to my work. It's good and fresh chicken and under 300 calories. They also will make your burger protein style. Tasty.
  • Daniloveshockey94
    Daniloveshockey94 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Try chiptle!!
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Hit up Chick-Fil-A. A regular chicken sandwich is 440 calories and 30g of protein.
  • anjsdav
    anjsdav Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    McDonalds: Grilled Chicken Snack Wrap No Sauce (230 Calories) and Apples (15 Calories a pack at 2 for a $1) with Water or Diet Soda

Chickfila: Grilled Nuggets Kid's Meal with honey mustard dipping sauce, Fruit Instead of Fries, and Chocolate Milk (got to have one bonus) - FYI the Grilled Nuggets (4-count), Fruit Cup and one-percent milk Kid’s Meal option contains only 210 calories and 3 grams of fat ---or--- a side salad , Grilled Nuggets, and Berry Balsamic Dressing: totals only 260 Calories!

Taco Bell: Had to stop getting my cheap favorite chicken burrito meal & substitute 2 fresco tacos from 140-170 a piece (saved over 200 calories!)

Burger King: Chicken Nuggets Kids Meal (4 Piece) 190 calories, Apple Slices 30 calories, & a diet Soda (0 Calories) or Low Fat Chocolate Milk for 160 Calories = Total 380 Calories
  • twoss9112
    twoss9112 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a healthy choice from any of those places. Personally, I would say something like ONE McDs cheeseburger or hamburger (NOT the big mac, 1/4 pounder or any of that), once in awhile as a craving give in. And by once in awhile I mean once in 1 to 2 months, not even once a week. Sometimes I do thecheeseburger happy meal - that way I'm just ordering one (instead of the two cheeseburger meal), it inclused the tiny fries (just enough to feed the crave beast) and it also includes apples. Minimal damage, craving satified, back to regular eating.

The only fast food I do is Subway, and sometimes Jimmy John's (get the "unwich" - it's the sandwich wrapped in lettuce instead of the bread - they will "unwich" any of their sandwich choices for you). I also sometimes do Chipotle - there are ways to cut the cals down in the burrito bowl. I do 1/2 rice, 1/2 black beans, meat, tomato salsa, corn salsa, cheese. No sour cream. Comes out under 500 cals. Again this is rare.

Potbelly's also has some skinny(er) sandwich options.

Also, Panda Express Panda Bowl... some of the entrees are surprisingly low cal. Just get the mixed veggie side instead of the noodles or the rice. You can build your bowl online, just like the build your sanwich on Subway's site - and get all of the nutritional info for it.

Granted, Panda and Chipotle will kill you on the sodium, but if you're looking for a lower cal fast food that is more of a treat than a habit, these are probably better choice than McDs or Wendy's or BK. (especially BK! I love it but OH WOW, more cals than McDs even!)
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    There's nothing remotely healthy at eating at McDonalds or Wendys....I don't recognise any of the other places, we don't have them in the UK.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Chipotle is always the way to go. Real food. Grass fed beef, free range chicken, locally sourced produce. It's what fast food SHOULD be. Eat liberally.
  • joolson45
    joolson45 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I agree with chipolte.. and Moes southwest is good too..