Coworkers......BLAH!!!!!

Options
So, I joined the gym about 2 weeks ago, and have been going every day during my lunch break. I don't say anything about it except to a few people I am close with, and even with them, it is just to say it is my way to "de-stress".
Anyways, a couple of women from my work, that are really quite catty, have joined the same gym and come on Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays. No big deal. I pop in my earbuds, do my thing, and ignore them.
Today, on my way back from the gym, I stopped and got a roast beef sandwich. Nothing spectacular just a sandwich to go with the fruit I had waiting in my office. On my way in to my office, one girl, who actually is my friend, looks around laughs and says, "Oh, I guess you work out so you can pig out."
Then one of the catty women looks around and says, "Now all the time on the elliptical makes sense. I guess it's just so you can eat more."
I wanted to tell both of them to kiss my a**, instead, I looked around and smiled and said, "I like to eat, I do it at least two or three times every day! I guess I am just wired that way."
Question is, how do you not let the stupid catty comments like this bother you? And why do people care what you eat???????

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Just let it go. Rude and b!tchy, but there is is. I often get the opposite at work! Things like, "Come on, one cupcake won't kill you!" and "Oh, Jen's being goooooooood today." it sucks, but I suck it up, give some half a$$ed response and move on. Then ***** about it to my husband later!
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    omg you have so much more self control than i do. lol.
    I would have blown up. but ignore me, you did good.

I really don't think you owe them an explanation at all. Maybe talk to them individually and tell them that you don't like to be scrutinized about your diet or exercise habits.

its rude, and disrespectful and inappropriate at work. thats almost like harassment.
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like a very pleasant place to work at all. Just make sure you keep losing weight - that will show them and then they'll be furious that they think you can pig out and still lose.
  • d2rala
    d2rala Posts: 54
    Options
    First of all, the "one girl who is my friend" isn't.
    Friends say supportive things like: "You're getting your protein, good for you!"
    These two from your office are trying to sabatoge your efforts to get into a more healthy lifestyle - that is what the catty comments are about.
    They don't want you to be successful because they don't want to see themselves as failures.

I loved your come back, the only thing better might have been, "my nutritionist wants me to eat 5 times a day, but I can't manage that".

The only way not to let these catty comments bother you, is to NOT LET THE CATTY COMMENTS BOTHER YOU. Consider the source and remember they are trying to keep you in the place you are working to get out of.
    When you need support, visit this page. There are a lot of people here who want you to suceed.
    Friend me if you would like a cheerleader!
    Diane
  • mommy1126
    mommy1126 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    The thing that pissed me off most about it, my friend that made the first comment is BIGGER than me anyways!!!!!
    The catty witch that made the second comment is 1. about the size I am, and 2. tried my beloved elliptical for about 10 minutes, and said it was too hard! I do thirty minutes a day on that thing at a higher resistance and incline than she was even attempting! Aaaaaaahhhhh! Just irritated right now.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    misery loves company honey so let them talk and leave them in the dust. u will look fab in no time. they will probably not even continue to use the gym and just fall off the wagon sooner or later.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Keep those ear buds in!
  • tripodsmom
    tripodsmom Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Next time cross ya eyes at them and in your best childish voice yell MIND YA BIZNESS! :flowerforyou:
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Theyre just jealous. They are already copying you by also joining the gym so you should just be flattered and keep on kicking butt
  • SimplyDenyse
    SimplyDenyse Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    that is horrible, how old are these ladies?
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I would just laugh it off...because you bettering yourself!
  • mommy1126
    Options
    Next time cross ya eyes at them and in your best childish voice yell MIND YA BIZNESS! :flowerforyou:

This seriously made me Laugh my butt off! Because I actually considered doing just that, without the crossed eyes of course, because you know they could get stuck like that : ).
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    When someone says something catty to me or about someone else, I just say, "Meow."
    Putting others down or trying to make yourself seem superior by putting someone else down is pathetic.
  • mommy1126
    Options
    that is horrible, how old are these ladies?

One of them is in her early thirties, the other her early 40's.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    You have alot more self control than I do, good for you! Keep up the good work for yourself and don't worry about those catty *******!!!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're handling it just fine. I hate that people always say "they're just jealous." That's crazy. IMO, the woman who made the catty comment was probably trying to deflect attention from herself because she felt uncomfortable, but that's just an outsider's opinion.

In any case... your answer was awesome. Just let your results speak for themselves.
  • daniellegwilliam
    daniellegwilliam Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    wow. a sandwich is pigging out. I pig out every day then!!

This is highschool BS, They are saying things like this to make themselves feel better, they know you are being healthy, and deep down they arent they healthy and fit ones, so they put you down and say rude comments to feel better about themselves. so stupid.

I too have a hard time at work. I have become the unsocial one at work. while they go for pizza, chinese food and drink beer at lunch, I will go for a run or just not go. Once every few months i will for a treat, but I defineltey dont go every week with them.
    and I cant do after work beers because I have a child to pick up and take care of. Its to the point they kind of stopped asking me, oh well.

it used to bother me, then I realized Im happy with my life and how I feel, I dont need my best friends to be my coworkers. My best friends motivate and support me.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I think they are being catty to make themselves feel better....when some people don't like themselves, they do whatever they can to make YOU not like YOU. Fvck them! You may have to work with them but you don't have to like them or care what their opinions are! Onward and upward! You are doing this for YOU and that's all that matters! :flowerforyou:
  • sassafrascas
    sassafrascas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    The thing that pissed me off most about it, my friend that made the first comment is BIGGER than me anyways!!!!!
    The catty witch that made the second comment is 1. about the size I am, and 2. tried my beloved elliptical for about 10 minutes, and said it was too hard! I do thirty minutes a day on that thing at a higher resistance and incline than she was even attempting! Aaaaaaahhhhh! Just irritated right now.

Its jealousy! Your "friend" wishes she had the motivation to go the gym and work on herself, she wishes she had the courage to balance food and exercise. A sandwich is not piggy out you know that, no one give a Sh### what they think. In one ear out the other. People will never learn to keep their comments to themselves. You have to learn to ignore it. Good Luck!
  • Iceman420
    Options
    Don't feel bad, I have problems with co-workers too. Two of them watch everything I eat & drink at work, waiting for me to slip up. I would love to tell these guys off, but they are the boss' drinking buddies. I can't afford to lose this job so I just ignore them.

The funny thing is these guys are chain smokers. One of them already has the "smoker's cough", and he is only 33. They better watch their own health issues before they talk about me :)