OMG--why can't they make popcorn nutritional info easy to un

Options
jkohan
jkohan Posts: 184 Member
I've NEVER understood this...the info on the box never seems to make any sense....popped/unpopped.....UGH! OK--help me make sense of this:

The info in the food database doesn't seem to be correct to me.
Orville Redenbacher's Smart Pop 94% Fat Free Butter Popcorn
2.9oz sized bag

This is what the box says:
Serving Size: 3TBS unpopped (makes about 7.5 cups popped)
Servings Per Bag: about 2
Now--is that 7.5 cups per BAG or per serving?

Amount PER SERVING:
Calories: 120 - for 3TBS unpopped.

So that would lead me to believe that the 7.5 cups is for ONE serving and that there are 15 cups in the bag, correct? Because if you look in the database, people have entered 1 bag as the serving with 7.5 cups in parentheses and only counting the 120.

But if I eat the whole bag...isn't that 240 calories?

Oh and just to confuse the consumer even more they give you the calories for 1 cup popped. WTF? LOL

Replies

• Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I think they WANT to confuse you so you eat more than one serving and have to buy more sooner.

I always thought the same thing: who the heck needs to know unpopped numbers? Are we going to tear the cold bag open, measure out and and crunch on 3 tablespoons of unpopped kernels?
  • AngelaU1971
    AngelaU1971 Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm not sure. I've been eating the whole bag and putting only 100 calories. :ohwell:
  • Crysta1976
    Crysta1976 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I always thought the same thing: who the heck needs to know unpopped numbers? Are we going to tear the cold bag open, measure out and and crunch on 3 tablespoons of unpopped kernels?

I think it is telling you about how much to expect to waste, because of all the upopped kernels in the bottom of the bag! lol
    So, in my theory, even if you eat the whole bag...you still didn't eat the WHOLE bag... there is at least a servings worth left. :ohwell:
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    240 calories would be correct. The mini bags usually have at least 100 calories in them.
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I think it means a bag is two servings. So you're cheating yourself if you count it as one. But the better way to go (humble opinion) is to get a $20 air popper from WalMart and pop your own. It fills up almost a big bowl. And if you spray I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray, you get yummy popcorn!!
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options

I think it is telling you about how much to expect to waste, because of all the upopped kernels in the bottom of the bag! lol

LOL! I think you may be right! Just subtract that off of there! :laugh:
  • jkohan
    Options
    240 calories would be correct. The mini bags usually have at least 100 calories in them.

Right---this isn't a single-serve bag...it's a 2.9oz full bag. OK--so I'm not crazy...120 is for only 1 serving...so it's about 240. Whew...why do they make it sooo confusing?
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    serving size meaning that is how many serving you can eat in that bag. sooo that mean you would have 2 serving for 3 TBSP

so if you had the WHOLE bad meaning you had 2 6TBSp of that instead of 1 3TBSP..
    so meaning you would have eaten 240 calories if you had the whoooole bag :)

i hope that helps
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options

Right---this isn't a single-serve bag...it's a 2.9oz full bag. OK--so I'm not crazy...120 is for only 1 serving...so it's about 240. Whew...why do they make it sooo confusing?

I dont think it is. but at certain times i do.
    i mean... why cant they just make one for a personal one.

but i also think that is the cause of people of gaining weight too. you could be right.
    i think they are just trying to play a mind trick on people
  • jkohan
    Options
    serving size meaning that is how many serving you can eat in that bag. sooo that mean you would have 2 serving for 3 TBSP

so if you had the WHOLE bad meaning you had 2 6TBSp of that instead of 1 3TBSP..
    so meaning you would have eaten 240 calories if you had the whoooole bag :)

i hope that helps

right I get that...but why tell me about unpopped when I'm not going to open the bag before it's popped and measure out 1 serving, KWIM? It should be one serving=7.5 cups. # of servings in bag= about 2. End of story.
  • bbblue92
    bbblue92 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    This is why I only buy the 100 calorie packs, I don't understand all that either!!
  • jkohan
    Options

So, in my theory, even if you eat the whole bag...you still didn't eat the WHOLE bag... there is at least a servings worth left. :ohwell:

I like the way you think. LOL
  • jkohan
    Options
    This is why I only buy the 100 calorie packs, I don't understand all that either!!

Yep, only single serve bags for me going forward!
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    BoaterBunny made me laugh and spew coffee...:drinker:
    I agree with Kristin. The bag is 2 servings (120 calories per serving) making the entire bag 240 calories. I also agree with Kristin to purchase the hot air popper and spray butter flavor Pam on the popped corn...add a pich of salt and you have a really yummy, low fat, low cal treat. About 35 calories a cup...that's a cup of POPPED CORN. :bigsmile:
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    I haven't done this yet, but I've heard that you can get an air popper for like 10-20 bucks. Then you pop your own and just add whatever you want.

That seems a better way of understanding the nutritional content. I hate reading labels, they are so confusing on everything! lol I just want to eat without needing a degree in label science, ya know!:wink:
  • jkohan
    Options
    I'm at work...but I think I will invest in an air popper for home...great idea! thanks.

What accounts for the difference in calories....are the Kernels just covered in lard in the bag vs buying the jar and air popping?
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    All kinds of companies are marketing their foods like this.
    They figure people look quickly and see the CALORIES / SERVING and grab the product.

They make that number smaller per serving, so people think they are eating something healthier.
    Then they package 2 servings or more so people will consume the whole product and still gain weight.
  • kspeach
    kspeach Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    On the Act2 popcorn bags, it says how many servings in the bag, (2.5) and how many calories per serving. I found it like that on the food database here too, I believe.

I like the single serving 100 calorie popcorns for when I'm here by myself. Otherwise, I can split a bag with one of my family.

Re: Hot Air Poppers.

I do LOOOOVE my Orville Reddenbacher microwave popper. My dad and I LOOOOVE popcorn (it was a staple growing up and at my grandparents' house!), so if we like it, it's a WIN! Email me if you want to know where to find it...not sure if you can still get it at Walmart or not anymore.
  • JandCsMommy
    JandCsMommy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I just buy the 100 calorie packs-no thought involved!
  • armydreamers
    armydreamers Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I just buy the 100 calorie packs-no thought involved!
    Me too! :)