EEK! First grocery trip today! Help!

Options
2»

Replies

• wendylady123
    wendylady123 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Enriched is in almost every grained mainstream product like breads, pasta etc...they basically strip out the natural ingredients and add it back plus some. Which I always thought was weird.

Here's an article about how carbs aren't bad, and how to spot a good grain!

http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/healthieryou/html/chapter7c.html
  • velvetechos
    velvetechos Posts: 234
    Options
    Mellie - I've never heard to stick to the outside and avoid the aisles of a grocery store, but that makes so much sense! Thanks for the tip! Reading through the blog now (very helpful!). :)

I will definitely be stocking up on fruits and veggies (steph -thanks for the frozen veggie tip! Totally slipped my mind!).

Anyone ever buy frozen fish? If so, what kind and how did you prepare it?

I find Tilapia to be the most affordable. I recently read a recipe where you season and bake the fish, chop it up, and drop it in a wrap with lettuce, tomato, onions and peppers. I plan to try this very soon!

I actually had a similar supper last night. Sauteed cod with taco seasoning, lime juice, onions and green bell pepper, served with lettuce, tomato, and avocado. Ditched the tortilla for Kettle: Black bean tortilla chips to save on sodium.
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    My rules for shopping are simple...
    1. Plan a menu
    2. Make a list and stick to it.
    3. Shop the perimeter of the store first. The outer perimeter is where all the "good" food is. Freshfruits and veggies, meats, grains and dairy.
    4 Venture to the center aisles only if you need items for a recipe or low fat salad dressings, mustard, pickles etc.

If you follow the 4 rules above, your shopping cart should be full of "good" healthy food and the high calorie, high fat food isn't so appealing anymore...and also, there probably isn't any room left in your cart!

Best of luck to you!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I have also found that I have to make more trips since I've changed the way I eat. Since I eat nearly exclusively fresh and perishable foods- I have to buy them more frequently. I usually stick to the outer aisles except for the organic/vegetarian section where I pick up veggie burgers and tofu, yogurt and silk, and then my oatmeal and the frozen section, and the occassional box of couscous or brown rice. The center aisles are necessarily your enemy, good food like plain oatmeal or canned beans can be found there, but it's true that your best bets are on the perimeter.

I also try to go to the farmer's market or veggie stand on the weekend and try to find the fruits and veggies there, sometimes the price is better and often the produce is tastier and fresher.
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    Wow, I've gotten a lot of advice here too!

I usually try to shop without my husband because he talks me into bad things. I love the whole wheat healthy harvest spaghetti. That's all we eat now. I don't think it's grainy at all. For breakfast I buy egg beaters, Luna Bars, or yogurt and high fiber cereal.

For lunch I eat this whole wheat 35 cal/slice bread called Nickels. I had never heard of it before I moved to OH but you can get it at Walmart. I eat tuna with a little light mayo on wheat, or plain turkey sandwiches with alfalfa sprouts and tomatoes. I'm learning to love spicy brown mustard as my condiment of choice.

Dinner is the area I struggle. I too want to make more fish but don't know how. We do use ground turkey breast to make chili or tacos. Also, I love Boca burgers (soy) or MorningStar Chick N Patties. They are great alternatives to heading out to get fast food.

For after dinner snacks, I just make sure we have fat free sugar free jello puddings of different flavors in the house. We also like popcorn, fresh fruit and 100 calorie bars of ice cream.

Sorry to ramble, hope it helps some. Grocery shopping is the fun part for me, it's actually throwing together the meals once I'm home that freaks me out!
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Clarissa - This may be a silly question, :ohwell: but I'm not much of a cook as I've spent so much of my time in drive thrus. Do you need a broiler to broil something? Or is there a way to do this with standard kitchen appliances?

Not a silly question. You should have a setting on your oven that says broil. In newer ovens, in most cases, it is the top element in your oven (when you bake, you use the bottom element on the floor of the oven), but can also be the bottom drawer of your oven depending on the model you have. Sometimes I will bake & broil the fish depending on what kind of coating I put on my fish
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    For after dinner snacks, I just make sure we have fat free sugar free jello puddings of different flavors in the house.

These are good if you put a popsicle stick or spoon through the top foil and freeze them. Then you have a pudding pop :D
  • KristyO
    KristyO Posts: 126
    Options
    Tarragon is a very good seasoning for fish like salmon and talapia. There should be a broiler function on your oven. Just make sure to watch it closely because it can burn quickly.

I also stick to the outsides of the stores, that is good advice. I agree with the poster that said don't go overboard on the fruits and veggies because they'll go bad. I go to the farmer's market once a week and then the regular grocery store for non-perishables every two weeks. As soon as I get home with my veggies, I chop up everything and put it in tupperware. It makes meal preparation 100% easier.

For snacks I like low-fat triscuits with Polly O string cheese (especially satisfies a "salt" craving). I like the Fiber One oats & chocolate bars for a "sweet" craving. I did just discover they have too much sugar, so I'm trying not to eat them as often.

Although I am not one for the 100 calorie packs and other "diet" foods, it might be good for your to "wean" yourself into healthy eating by picking up some of these snacks. If you are coming from a place where you ate a lot of fast food and hardly cooked at home, going "cold turkey" might be a secret sabotage. Your body may still crave that salt and fat. You might as well have a little pack of cheetos on hand to stave the craving. Sometimes there are days that I do not want to eat something healthy. I look at my fridge full of fruits and veggies and I'm not feeling it....like at all...so those are the days I will eat a south beach pizza. I would rather have that in my freezer for craving emergencies than having nothing at all and end up going across the street for a big old slice with pepperoni.

I'm just a big a believer in not setting yourself up to fail. Good luck to you!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I try my hardest to eat clean, meaning avoiding as many processed foods as possible. Basically, I aim for short ingredient lists of recognizable, real things. I try to make sure that the majority of foods in my cart have ingredient lists that are only one ingredient long. Or, better yet, NO label at all (whole fresh vegetables and fruits, grains and beans from the bulk bins, etc.). I think that

It has been a gradual and ongoing process towards clean eating. Starting to make small changes is a good first step so don't fear the grocery store. One "bad" item isn't going to derail your progress, so don't become paralyzed with the choice and run for the drive thru. :happy: Sometimes I feel overwhelmed with all of the different things to think about as I select foods.

Just continue to think critically about what you are buying. I try to take the advice of thinking "Would my great great grandparents have recognized this as food?" If not, then I typically don't buy it.

The basic advice to shop the perimeter of the store is a good one. Look out for the labels "fat free", "sugar free", etc. as that usually means that the manufacturers have added a bunch of sugar, salt to make it taste good.
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    We try to eat fish at least once a week and I always buy frozen fish. It's usually salmon, sometimes tilapia or shrimp, but we try to add new kinds here and there. I have found many ways to prepare salmon so it's not like having the same thing all the time!
  • Gerkenstein
    Gerkenstein Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the broiling tips! I'm definitely going to check my oven at home and maybe play around with that in the next week or so. I LOVE salmon! This forum has wonderful flavoring ideas, if anyone missed it: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/94133-post-your-baked-salmon-recipe?hl=salmon

Kristy- I always chop up my fruits (pineapple, melons, etc.) right when I get home, never even crossed my mind to do it with my veggies! Thanks for the tip! That will be a HUGE time saver.

Didn't make it to the grocery yesterday, so still no report on the first trip. Will update as soon as it is completed.