Post Workout Hair

Options
Okay so this is totally silly but my hair is now really dry, working out 6 days a week and taking a shower after (with hairwashing) is drying my hair out. I talked to my stylist (& she is worth the $$) this week and she said to only rinse my hair every other day and then condition it. Is anyone else having this problem? Have you heard of this method? She also told me to put conditioner in my hair before swimming.
I know first world problem but a girls' gotta have good hair to go with her healthy body right?

:bigsmile:
AnnMarie

Replies

• jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I guess a buzz is out of the question?
  • delor44
    Options
    Hello. I moved to the desert (outside of Las Vegas) 5 years ago and had the same issue with my hair. My hairdresser told me the same thing - and it WORKS. I notice a huge difference when I do not do this. Good luck!
  • bdburch
    bdburch Posts: 127
    Options
    Have you thought of doing a "no-poo" thing? I stopped using shampoo about 3 months ago. I wash my hair with baking soda then condition it with apple cider vinegar (it doesn't smell or anything). I have had no problems with post workout hair. Before starting this, I had really dry hair that would then look really oily the next day. I would research this a bit if it intrigues you. It took about 4 weeks for my hair to become adapted to not being washed everyday but now I can go 3-4 days without washing it if I need to.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    What shampoo and conditioner are you using? I have long hair that I wash, blow dry, and curl every day and it's not dry. I use Joico Moisture Recovery. It's the best I've ever used.
  • Oakley82
    Options
    She's right from what I have read. I think it might take a little bit for your hair to get "used" to it, but after it does it should be healthier. It might over produce oil for a little bit, but should lessen up. My hair is far too oily to do that way unfortunately, I have to wash it daily unless I wear it wavy (like in my avatar) then I manage every other day and get by with just rinsing it. Redken is really good and worth the $!
  • LovahLorah
    LovahLorah Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You don't need to wash your hair every time. Just blow dry it to refresh it. I don't wash my hair everyday, its not healthy too. You can also try the dry shampoo. Washing your hair everyday can dry it out, but it can also have the opposite effect on people and make your hair oily from stripping it of its natural oils everyday, it will try to over produce the oils. Try skipping washes, it will work wonders and save time!!
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Okay so this is totally silly but my hair is now really dry, working out 6 days a week and taking a shower after (with hairwashing) is drying my hair out. I talked to my stylist (& she is worth the $$) this week and she said to only rinse my hair every other day and then condition it. Is anyone else having this problem? Have you heard of this method? She also told me to put conditioner in my hair before swimming.
    I know first world problem but a girls' gotta have good hair to go with her healthy body right?

:bigsmile:
    AnnMarie

I don't wash my hair every day, even if I work out. I wash it every other day and just wear a headband around my head at the gym on days when I know I can't wash it. Let me know if the rinse, conditioner method works for you. I'd be interested in trying it out.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    My stylist told me to put conditioner in my hair before swimming too, which basically breaks all my gym's rules about taking a shower to get all the products off before you get in the pool. I just limit my swimming to once per week actually for that reason because I do have long hair that means a lot to me. If anyone on here wants to write something derogatory, go ahead, but if you've ever had long hair, I'm sure you understand what a lot of work it is to keep it up. I blow dry and flat iron mine, so I face similar challenges.

There are some good dry shampoos these days that you spray into your hair to freshen it up at the roots. Have you ever talked to your stylist about one of those? I use those on days I'm in a rush or if I'm camping. Better than nothing.

The other thing I would recommend is asking your stylist about a Redken Chem System treatment. People always ask me how my hair gets so shiny and that's my secret. I get chem system treatments about once every month or two for about $15. They really make a difference.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    That's exactly what I do.

I wash my hair every other day and on the "other" day I just use conditioner.

I also don't blow dry my hair so I don't have the added heat to make it drier.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Definitely a good conditioner underneath a silicone swim cap for swimming! Chlorine is awful on hair! I do this even though my hair has a tendency to become oily! The conditioner will help seal the hair shaft, which makes it harder for the chlorine to get to it!
  • winterswish
    Options
    Have you thought of doing a "no-poo" thing? I stopped using shampoo about 3 months ago. I wash my hair with baking soda then condition it with apple cider vinegar (it doesn't smell or anything). I have had no problems with post workout hair. Before starting this, I had really dry hair that would then look really oily the next day. I would research this a bit if it intrigues you. It took about 4 weeks for my hair to become adapted to not being washed everyday but now I can go 3-4 days without washing it if I need to.

^^^As bizarre as it is at first, this really is awesome. I went poo-less last year and can't imagine going back. I used to be a person who would say "My hair is sooo oily, I have to wash every day" but what I learned was that my scalp was producing so much oil because I was constantly stripping it back out.

I'm at a modified version now: baking soda every other day and once a week a good shampoo without SLS or alcohol fragrance. Rinse with apple cider vinegar and I not needed conditioner since.
  • AustinAnnMarie
    Options
    :laugh:- at the buzz comment. Thanks everyone, I may try all of these! So glad I asked!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I have really dry hair. I only wash it once a week, with minimal shampoo, and let it air dry (no heat styling whatsoever). After washing I massage coconut oil into it, especially onto the ends and into the scalp, and apply more oil throughout the week as needed. My hair's still a little drier than I'd like but this technique usually keeps the scalp from flaking at least. When working out just put the hair in a high bun-- the roots will get a little sweaty but not so much that you have to wash it again.
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    I stopped using shampoo 4 years ago. i use baking soda and water on my scalp to get rid of greese and build up as needed about 1-2 times a month. And then condition ( i make my own, but you can start with sulfate free) Or use a shower cap if you don"t need to wash your hair that much :)

my hair has never been happier. If you still choose to condition try to limit it and use it on your scalp no your ends and no need to repeat:)

But you can clean your scalp with condition and a scalp rub :)
  • bdburch
    bdburch Posts: 127
    Options

^^^As bizarre as it is at first, this really is awesome. I went poo-less last year and can't imagine going back. I used to be a person who would say "My hair is sooo oily, I have to wash every day" but what I learned was that my scalp was producing so much oil because I was constantly stripping it back out.

I'm at a modified version now: baking soda every other day and once a week a good shampoo without SLS or alcohol fragrance. Rinse with apple cider vinegar and I not needed conditioner since.

I thought it was really weird too at first. I was very hesitant to try it but I am so glad I did and I'm actually a little afraid of what my hair would do if I used shampoo again. I even got the husband in on it! It saves money and my hair looks much better than is used to. I tend to get dry, frizzy winter hair. Combine this with sweaty gym hair and everything was a mess. Now, I can just blowdry it real quick after workouts or sometimes when I'm lucky I can just brush it and go on about my day.
  • bethgrayster
    bethgrayster Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    That's exactly what I do.

I wash my hair every other day and on the "other" day I just use conditioner.

I also don't blow dry my hair so I don't have the added heat to make it drier.

^^^ Exactly! Except I try to go 3 days. I have naturally curly hair and if I wash it too much it gets dry really quickly!
  • nashsheri33
    nashsheri33 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    i discussed this with my stylist, and she told me to wet my hair, put some cheap conditioner on it, and cover it with a bathing cap before getting into the pool. then i have to wash it with the 'good' shampoo and conditioner.

i stopped blowdrying every day because it is also very drying. now i only do that when i am in a hurry to look nice, or when it would be inappropriate to have wet hair, like a funeral.

as another poster said, long hair takes a lot of effort. and it's important to me to keep it looking nice.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I get so sweaty when I workout that there's no way I would go without washing afterwards. I'll give my hair a break on the weekends or a day off from work when I don't plan on seeing anyone. Otherwise I've found that using sulfate free shampoo works great. I don't repeat after I rinse and I use a good conditioner. The only issue I have is dry scalp in winter and then I use Neutrogena T/Sal shampoo periodically to fix that. I tried going no poo and it just did not work for me. I also got a haircut so that I could get away with not blow drying my hair.
  • tobejune
    tobejune Posts: 177
    Options
    I have similar issues in the winter as I blow dry my hair when I shower at the gym (leaving with wet hair and temperatures in the single digits is just stupid). I sometimes skip the shampoo and just condition. Sometimes, I don't wash at all, and just wear my hair up or with a headband/ scarf to give it a break from the daily torture.

As for swimming, I honestly think wearing a swimming cap really helps. Yes, your hair still gets wet and gets chlorine in it, but not as much as without a cap. Also, if you're going to put conditioner in before swimming a cap might help less get into the pool. Though, honestly, most pools have filtration systems that are insanely powerful so.... who cares... lol
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I never blow-dry my hair and wash it only every 2-3 days, and have no trouble with it, even though nearly every sport I do (cycling, horse riding, and fencing) requires a helmet. Just let it dry and fluff it up again with a brush.

I am very curly, though, your mileage may vary.