Depressing/disturbing kids songs

Replies

• KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    LOL. My sister and I were listening to her kids cd the other day about a girl finding a peanut and dying from it.
  • There was an old lady who swallowed a fly.
    i dont know why she swallowed a fly.
    Perhaps she'll die.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    We used to sing that regularly in Brownies when I was younger, I loved it!!

There were extra bits too at the end, after the squishing, involving licking up the bumblebee (from your messy hands), throwing it up, and then sweeping it up. Revolting when you think about it!
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    I actually read an article about this a while back, it was famous children's songs with horrific origins. I remember these two:

London Bridge - starving children to death
    Jimmy Crack Corn - dude falls off a horse and dies, let's drink!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    that's tame! That's the PC version

the version I knew and sang as a child involved licking up the baby bumble bee and sicking up the baby bumble bee

Snap!
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    One of the greatest joys in life is growing up and hearing songs you sang as a kid and realizing you had NO IDEA what was actually happening!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Oh ffs...when your kid comes home growling Cannibal Corpse or Winds of Plague lyrics, then you can worry...even then, worrying is probably a bit goofy, considering I do that, and I am more successful than well over half of this country. /shrug
  • My dad also used to sing "wildfire" to me as a child.
    Girls horse breaks out of a stall.
    girl chases horse into an "early snow".
    Girl and horse freeze to death.
    Hoot owl outside window foretells death of singer.
    Girl and singer ride into the afterlife on Wildfire.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Back in my day, the teacher used to often play "Oh My Darlin, Clementine" which is about a miner's daughter who falls into a river and drowns its both depressing and creepy.

Then theres another song they used to play about some kid with a ridiculously long name who fell into a well and drowned because no one could say his name fast enough to let the grown ups know he fell.

My mom and I used to sing Clementine all the time!
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Yeah there is some well freaky kids songs out there. But they have been around forever and I don't hear any animal abuser / serial killer using them as a reason as to why they do it.

I personally find it stranger to see my 4 and 6 year old sons dancing around the room, wiggling their hips and singing "I'm sexy and I know it!"
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    What was the one about the old lady who had a baby and he ate the soap and the bathtub (??) then they called the doctor?? I loved it!!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    My son is 5. he just wants to listen to AC/DC, The Animals, The Turtles and The Who.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Yeah there is some well freaky kids songs out there. But they have been around forever and I don't hear any animal abuser / serial killer using them as a reason as to why they do it.

I personally find it stranger to see my 4 and 6 year old sons dancing around the room, wiggling their hips and singing "I'm sexy and I know it!"

That's one of those things that's normally 'cute'...until they do it when that one perverted uncle that every family has is around...then everything just gets really uncomfortable for everyone.
  • DrJanet98
    DrJanet98 Posts: 138 Member
    ring around the rosie, which is apparently about the bubonic plague.

http://www.snopes.com/language/literary/rosie.asp
  • FeatherBoBeather
    FeatherBoBeather Posts: 255 Member
    lol... That song is kinda disturbing, but I'm pretty sure my opinion is invalid...
    I grew up on Journey, Def Leppard, & ACDC... started to 'really branch out on my own' when I was 10 and picked up Nirvana & Blink182 as some of my first faves .....sooo... *shrug*
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    There was a song we used to sing in Brownies which was about a parachute accident? I'm trying to recall the lyrics. All I can remember is 'they scraped him off the tarmac'. XD

to the tune of "mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the lord"

he jumped without a parachute from 40,000 feet
    and he ain't gonna jump no more

glory, glory what a hell of a way to die
    and he ain't gonna jump no more

2nd verse: he landed on the tarmac like a lump of strawberry jam (x 3, the rest as above)

3rd verse: they scraped him off the tarmac and ??????

4th verse: they put him in a little box and sent him home to mum

5th verse: they spread him on their butties and they ate him up for tea

(butties = northern British English for sandwiches/bread, tea = evening meal)

2nd and 3rd verse I think may not be quite right, it might be "they scraped him off the tarmac like a lump of strawberry jam" and 2nd verse was something different

Used to sing all kinds of songs like this in the girl guides. Another one....

ten sticks of dynamite hanging on the wall
    ten sticks of dynamite hanging on the wall
    and if one stick of dynamite should accidentally fall
    there'll be no sticks of dynamite and no bl**dy wall

And one song we sang in the girl guides was so bad that at one guide and scout camp, the scouts complained about our guide company (I think that was a slightly modified version of a song we sang, i.e. not the version taught buy our guider, but one that we girls altered a bit to sing about parts of the male anatomy....)
  • LETS NOT FORGET!

miss suzie had a steamboat
    the steamboat had a sail
    the steamboat went to heaven
    miss suzie went to hell-
    O operator....
  • lolagurlx0x0
    lolagurlx0x0 Posts: 149 Member
    Oh yea? How about kidz bop? lol- Anything through Kidz bop disturbs me- Imagine hearing a chorus of children sing- baby hit me one more time- or party like a rockstar by hollywood undead... or Tik Tok- by Ke$ha. Disgusting as well. There are a plethora of songs on there that make are super disturbing.

Oh and Ring around the rosey- signs for the plague. Jack and jill? About children being injured and cracking their skulls open (originally referring to King Henry and the beheading of all his wives) Rock a by baby? About a baby being hung from a tree in a cradle swaying in the wind- until the wind snaps the branch and the baby falls to who knows what fate. Apparently death. Hush Little Baby? Bribery to make the child shut up- Three blind mice? About a woman getting crazed and attempting to kill blind mice. Black bird/Six pence song? About baking 6 and 20 LIVE blackbirds in a pie- and upon cutting into it and them still being alive- if that isnt gruesome.

There are tons more...
    Old Mother Hubbard
    Went to the cupboard,
    To give the poor dog a bone;
    When she came there,
    The cupboard was bare,
    And so the poor dog had none.

She went to the baker's
    To buy him some bread;
    When she came back
    The dog was dead!
  • I remember singing as a kid, and have sung several times since:

Nobody likes me, everybody hates me, guess I'll go eat worms,
    Long thin skinny ones, short fat juicy ones, itsy bitsy fuzzy wuzzy worms

Down goes the first one, down goes the second one, oh how they wiggle and squirm,

Up comes the first one, up comes the second one, oh how they wiggle and squirm,

Along with lots of other fun songs... including lil bunny foo foo and how he bopped field mice on their heads.......
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Isn't 'Ring around the rosies' about the Black Plague or something..?