Depressing/disturbing kids songs

Options

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm...I kind of have to temper my parental reactions to some songs and such. I do think that what children hear (sing) and say effects their outlook, but children's song like that are usally more innocuous that damaging. It is all the self-adulateing and ridiculous rap, metal, pop, etc songs that kids are exposed to that I really moderate. Nothing like hearing a 7 year old girl singing....

"'Cause I may be bad, but I'm perfectly good at it Sex in the air, I don't care, I love the smell of it Sticks and stones may break my bones But chains and whips excite me"

But it has a catchy tune, right?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it be easier to come up with a list of traditional songs that aren't depressing? We used to sing about the Titaninic, eating worms, getting pulled down the drain, "the elephant sneezed and fell on his knees and what became of the monk(ey)"...
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    kids just sing words.... they give them no meaning. The parents give the lyrics meaning.
  • stephanieb72
    Options
    My mom would freak out when we would take a flower and sing "mamma had a baby and its head fell off" and pop the flower off the stem.... we thought it was hysterical as children but we obviously didn't want anybodies head to fall off.
  • concordancia
    Options
    kids just sing words.... they give them no meaning. The parents give the lyrics meaning.

You would be surprised! The seven year old singing about S&M probably doesn't have a clue, but for most of the songs, the morbid ness is part of the attraction - look at how popular Lemmony Snicket was for admitting to kids that things aren't all rainbows and purple dinosaurs!
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Pussification of society

Yes.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    that's tame! That's the PC version

the version I knew and sang as a child involved licking up the baby bumble bee and sicking up the baby bumble bee
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    OMG!! My preschool class is doing this song for their music program!! I am listening to it as I am typing! I do not like it but the music teacher picked the songs. We've done it before and the parents love it but I have to agree with you. All the other songs are educational or cute. And then there's "Baby Bumblebee"!!!!:indifferent:
  • lilteepot
    Options
    Wouldn't it be easier to come up with a list of traditional songs that aren't depressing? We used to sing about the Titaninic, eating worms, getting pulled down the drain, "the elephant sneezed and fell on his knees and what became of the monk(ey)"...

YAY! Someone else knows the Titanic song! :)

Oh it was sad (it was sad) It was sad (it was sad)
    It was sad when the great ship went down
    To the bottom of the...

Husbands and wives,
    Little bitty children lost their lives
    It was sad when the great ship went down!
    Glug Glug!
  • SlvrBluGoddess
    SlvrBluGoddess Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Back in my day, the teacher used to often play "Oh My Darlin, Clementine" which is about a miner's daughter who falls into a river and drowns its both depressing and creepy.

Then theres another song they used to play about some kid with a ridiculously long name who fell into a well and drowned because no one could say his name fast enough to let the grown ups know he fell.

I remember singing Clementine and laughing at one of the last verses...

How I missed her, how I missed her
    How I missed my Clementine.
    So I kissed her little sister,
    And forgot my Clementine

That's when I realized the miner was just a cad. lol
  • minakshihall
    minakshihall Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Rock-a-bye baby, on the treetop
    When the wind blows, the cradle will rock
    When the bough breaks, the cradle will fall
    And down will come baby, cradle and all

:huh:

This song to me is really creepy. I never paid attention to the wordings of this song until I had my son 2 years back. I used to sing Hind(Indian lullabies) to him but I thought I should start singing english lullabies to him as well. The tune of Rock-a-by-baby is cool so I learnt the lyrics and at night, in my baby's dark room with red night light. I started to sing this song and that is when it creeped me out and held my boy close and cried. why would someone want their baby to fall :cry:
    I do not sing that song any more. Ring around the rosie and Rock-a-bye are pretty creepy.
  • Crosbinium
    Crosbinium Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Great - Now I have the Frog in a Blender song stuck in my head....ACK!
  • Mumbles83
    Mumbles83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    My toddler nieces love this song. And since toddlers love repetition, I get treated to hearing it over and over again from their CD. :explode: Really, there's something disturbing about children cheerfuly singing a song about tormenting and killing an animal.

I'm bringing home a baby bumblebee.
    Wont my mommy be so proud of me?
    I'm bringing home a baby bumblebee.
    Ouch! He stung me!

I'm squishing up my baby bumblebee.
    I'm squishing up my baby bumblebee.
    Eew! It's yucky!

I'm wiping off my baby bumblebee.
    I'm wiping off my baby bumblebee.
    No more baby bumblebee!

pft my 11yo plays guitar and does jonny cash covers

do you know how disturbing it is to hear an 11yo sing "I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die"

Umm this kid ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg2GhtblE_Y
  • SlvrBluGoddess
    SlvrBluGoddess Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    When I sang Baby Bumblebee as a kid... after I squished it, I licked it up, and then threw it up. lol

I knew it wasn't something I'd do in real life. It was all make believe.
  • stephanieb72
    Options
    I sing ring around the rosie and rock a bye baby to my 2 year old. Well rounded children see/hear good and bad things and are not completely sheltered by over protective parents. Teachable moments people.... life is not all rainbows and puppies.
  • Momf3boys
    Momf3boys Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Let's not forget that poor itsy bitsy spider that got washed out by that damn rain...how dare they torture our youth with these dangerous songs...
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Rock-a-bye baby, on the treetop
    When the wind blows, the cradle will rock
    When the bough breaks, the cradle will fall
    And down will come baby, cradle and all

:huh:

Exactly - what sick m
    f
    r puts a baby on a weak branch at the top of a tree?
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I was taking KISS and Judas Priest records(yes records) to kindgarten class...... and I went to a private Catholic school:devil:
    The other kids were listening to the chimpmunks, I was listening to poetic lyrics like

Put your hand in my pocket
    Grab onto my rocket
    Feels so good to see you receive
    Baby got to know
    Do do you want to go
    How you gonna make me feel...
    Sittin in the back
    her head down in my lap
    the moonlight shining down on her hair
    The radio was playin'
    Her fingertips were strayin'
    Her mama didn't she was there, no
  • concordancia
    Options

YAY! Someone else knows the Titanic song! :)

Oh it was sad (it was sad) It was sad (it was sad)
    It was sad when the great ship went down
    To the bottom of the...

Husbands and wives,
    Little bitty children lost their lives
    It was sad when the great ship went down!
    Glug Glug!

Now, imagine it being shouted out by my tone deaf father! This is what families did on road trips before portable DVD players!
  • lrichardson2360
    lrichardson2360 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    ... really? I think its funny! We had several more verses than that, but I'm afraid you'd be even more disturbed if these couple of verses bother you. It's called 'make beleive'.

A child wouldnt "torment and kill" (as you put it) a bee after singing that song because he or she would understand that trying to hold a bumble bee would probably lead to getting stung. Lighten up and let the child enjoy the song and grow an imagination.

THIS. I sang it all my childhood and amazingly, due to my loving parents who raised me, I did not become a serial killer or an abuser of animals.