Members over 40....

Options
How do you lose your weight? What are your goals like? What way of eating are you following? (MFP, TDEE-20%, Low Carb etc.,) What exercises are you doing and how often? I know its not like we are in our 20's but how much harder for you know that we are in our 40's? Soooooo many questions.. Sorry!! I really just want to do it and do it right this time!! I want it for the rest of my life.. not the next roller coaster ride!!! Any tips or advise you can pass on would be great! Thank you in advance!!!!!!! :smile:

Replies

• wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I haven't done anything special. I started eating less, more healthy food and added some exercise. I eat within my calorie goal(usually) and I started out by just walking. I've cut down on the soda and all the wonderful sweets I love but I still do eat them just much less often. I haven't banned any foods from my life. I just eat the unhealthy stuff much less often then I used to. I also try to eat a good high protein breakfast. Protein keeps you fuller longer.

I now am doing cardio a couple times a week and I've added more strength training exercises. I do some body weight exercises like wall pushups, ab exercises and I do some weighted exercises like squats, bicep curls, machine exercises....leg press, tricep pulldowns, butterfly. I don't go to extremes. My average workout time is about 35min 4-6 times a week and I've averaged 1lb per week. I'm down 15lbs since the middle of Nov. Just take it slow and steady. This isn't a race. People that lose weight extremely fast tend not to keep it off because they've down such extreme things it isn't sustainable. Also remember that you want to reach your calorie goal AFTER exercising, so that means you should eat back your exercise calories. Eating less does not always = weight loss. If your body doesn't get the needed fuel it will hold onto every little bit you do give it. If you or anyone else wants someone to give honest feedback friend me.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I did mainly cardio with some body strength workouts to lose the weight, as well as obviously eating less.

I now do karate once a week and lift weights 2-3 times a week.
  • 2tryharder
    2tryharder Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 and lost about 25 lbs last year using the MFP calculators. After I started working out harder (weights and cardio) I changed the macros to more protien/less carbs and stayed about 1200 calories. I enjoyed cooking differently and packing lunch and I didn't go hungry.

I know it's strange, but I found losing weight over 40 easier than I thought - I have the discipline now to do it, more determination, less drama. Now that my child is grown I have more money and time to focus on fitness and I'm smaller than I've been since he was born.

When I reached my goal and started trying to maintain I ran into problems! Now I'm trying to get back on track.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Most of us just get worn out too much with everyday crap, it is tough to exercise. Throw in trying to find time to even make a meal when it is just easier to grab some processed food on the go, and it is a recipe for gaining weight.

It is simple. Watch what you eat and exercise. Do that consistently and over time you will be in better health.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    i do 2 to 3 hours cardio a day, and eat and drink whatever i want, works for me.
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I didn't do much special either.

I kept careful track of what I ate, moved around a bit. It wasn't much the first couple of months, but once I built up some strength, now I look forward to my workouts everyday.

I am 43, almost 44. Once I could see everything that I was eating and how little I was really moving, it didn't seem all that hard to lose. Now that I am down to the last 10 to 15 lbs, its getting a little bit harder, but that's ok. I already feel WAY better than I used to.

EDIT: BY THE WAY! I don't work out for more than 30 minutes at a time, just a GOOD SOLID workout.
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I just limited my calories and added some activity. I walked every day at lunchtime, used the treadmill if I was over my daily caloric goal, and faithfully logged everything I ate.
    Now I run for enjoyment (miracle of miracles), try to lift weights as often as possible (still a challenge for me), and try to maintain my weight.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    44, first time losing weight so I couldn't tell you if it is harder. I'm just watching what I eat and lifting weights 3 to 4 times a week.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    44 and lost most of the weight about three years ago.I eat about 80 % vegeterian.

I started with walking and then running after about three months.Now I do everything: DVD's,running,walking,zumba,weights,wii just dance.Anything to keep moving.

I find that it's easier now than in my 20's. Probably because I'm not trying to live off of 500 calories a day.

And I've never kept it off this long.

Your 40's can be the best time of your life!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I don't consider it harder to lose in my 40's versus my 20's. It's simply a lifestyle change. Do the change and the results will come, and stay.

I exercise 6 days a week. 3 are cardio (running) and 3 are strength training (bodyweight and dumb bells), plus I play recreational sports most weekends. My daily exercise is 30 - 60 minutes.

Calorie-wise, I mostly follow MFP, though I've tweaked the macros and calorie count, as the initial MFP numbers felt a bit low. The TDEE-20% is a great option for a lot of people.

My diet is focused on protein and most carbs coming from veggies/fruit sources.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 - don't know if it's harder to lose now than it was in my 30's because I never tried in my 30's! :tongue:

For eating/calorie goal, I follow the info in this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 Started eating at TDEE minus 20% about a year ago, got closer to goal weight and upped to a 15% cut, and since hitting goal weight, but still wanting to lose fat, am considering upping it to just 10%.

For exercise, I used to do a variety of Jillian Michaels workouts, mixing and matching from week to week, trying to get a good mix of cardio and some weights in there, buying heavier dumbbells whenever I could. For the past year or so, I've been using the Nike Training Club app (it's free) three days a week, and I've been running three days a week, avg about 4 miles.

The best success I've had at dropping the fat has been over the last year, and I credit it to the combination of the road map calorie advice, the Nike app, and the running (started with c25k in Jan of 2012 - worked great, as I've never ever been a runner of any sort!).

Diary is open, some progress photos in my profile, feel free to have a look!
  • kpaulako
    kpaulako Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    For me it's easier now that my daughter is self-sufficient at 16. She dances competitively and is at the studio most evenings so I now have no excuse not to exercise. My motiviation is if she is sweating then i should be too so off to the gym I go. I usually try to do both cardio and weights while there. I am starting the Insanity workout on Monday the 25th. I track everything including exercise so I don't feel horrible if I go over my caloric limit but burned more calories that day. But I do not ever say that I will NEVER eat that again because for me that only makes me crave it more. Better have a couple of potato chips then deny yourself and then months later devour a whole bag (yes I know from personal experience)

I think after 40 you know yourself better and can be in a better mindset. Do what is comfortable, push when you can and rest when you can't. And don't stress about either messing up or you don't look like the college girls at the gym, wasted engery.

Have fun!
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I never needed to diet before i hit 40! I'm not sure it makes a lot of difference though as you need to be in the right mind set regardless of age (I've had a couple of half-hearted attempts over the past two years but didn't really WANT to lose weight).

At 44 I perhaps have a bit more motivation to get the fat off as I can't do anything about getting old but i can do something about getting old and fat :)
  • Sw33tKnees
    Sw33tKnees Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advise!!!! Such wonderful motivation as well!!! :smile:
  • cajungirltx
    cajungirltx Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this...I've been reading all the replies and am glad to see it isn't harder to lose weight after 40. SO MANY people tell me that it will be once I hit 40. Well, June 2014 I'll be 40. I'm working on being in the best shape I've ever been on my 40th birthday.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and lost most of my weight between 39 and 40 years old. It has always been difficult for me, until I found the plan that works with my lifestyle. Yours may be something totally different, so play around and find something you're comfortable doing for the long haul. I do I.F. (JUDDD for the bulk of my loss, and 5:2 now for maintenance) and it works for me, but may feel restrictive for some. I've done low carb, Nutrisystem, calorie counting, pretty much any type of "diet" I came across, I would try it. With intermittent fasting, I find I only have to restrict every other day, and now just 2 days a week, so I don't get diet fatigue.

Good luck!
  • scottdeeby
    scottdeeby Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and trying to lose the fat that I've slowly accumulated over the last 12 years. I'm on a calorie deficit that equates to 1 lb weight loss a week. So far, I'm on track.

Every other day I do a bit of heavy lifting in an effort to maintain muscle mass.

I avoid cardio because it makes me hungry.

Once a week I eat normally to try and keep my metabolism from adjusting to the calorie deficit.

I avoid excessive amounts of carbs...not because I know they elicit an evil insulin spike, but because I know they will too-quickly put me over my calorie budget and I'll be sooooo hungry until the next morning when i can eat again.

All said and done, it seems to be working. Though I've only been at it for around 6 weeks or so.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's any harder for me (I'm 41). I eat 1700 calories and try to do 40% carbs, 30% fat and protein, though that's hard to do. I walk mostly for exercise. Don't let the "age=hard weight loss" idea become a self-fulfilling prophecy! If you do the work, it will come off eventually. Good luck!
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I'm 41. I set my activity level to "sedentary" based on the guidelines of employment the site listed, log all my calories and all my activity with the goal of landing within 200 calories of TDEE (on either side, though I'm almost always under), and have lost an average of 1lb/week. Diary is open.

Feel free to add me if you like.