Trying to lose weight with PCOS

Options
I am 21 years old and I have PCOS. I weigh over 300 pounds and it's always been a struggle for me to lose weight. Is there any other females out there going through the same thing? I would love to hear what kind of things work for you.

Amanda

Replies

• mstankowski
    mstankowski Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It is a struggle for me as well. I have in the past been on metformin and that helped me lose weight in combination with a lower carb meal plan. But that was in the past. I am ready to try again. I have friends that seem to be able to go to the gym and the weight just falls off. For me not so much. Or they just cut drinking soda and lose 10lbs. NOT me. So I am there with you it is hard but maybe we can encourage each other. Friend me.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I will be 35 in a week, and I have been dealing with PCOS since I was sixteen. For more of my story, here is a link to the blog I wrote when I first joinded MFP: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jcstanton Since I joined MFP, I have lost about fifteen more pounds for a total of 44lbs since May 2011. It's never been EASY to lose weight, but it IS possible. You do have to prepare yourself mentally, though, because as difficult as it is for the average person to lose weight, it is that much more difficult for us. I agree w/ mstankowski, if you can, see your doctor and talk to him/her about getting a Metformin Rx (diabetic pill). Metformin helps curb the insulin resistance problem our bodies have, and insulin resistance plays a large role in the weight problem. A few more things that have worked for me: Drink AT LEAST 8 8oz. glasses of water/day (I like to carry a 32oz. bottle with me everywhere and I try to drink 3 of those per day); exercise for a minimum of one hour 5-6 days per week (be sure to include strength training in 2-3 workouts each week); if you can afford it, join a gym (it's a great motivator for me); STAY AWAY from fast food and processed foods as much as possible; eat fresh/frozen fruits and veggies, lean meats, and fish; learn portion control; eat a small meal every couple of hours (helps keep blood sugar balanced and boosts the metabolism); most of all, surround yourself with people who will inspire and encourage you to keep going even when you think you can't. Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it. I know it can be done, because I'm doing it. :smile:
  • HappyMommy0809
    Options
    Hi, I am struggling with this right now too. I know this post is a few months old but I am really needing support!! I lost 51lbs a year and a half ago by only eating enough food so that I didn't pass out and running every day. It was unhealthy but it worked for me. I'm down to my last 30lbs I want to lose, the right way, but it its anything but easy!! And it doesn't help that my best friend is working out too and her fat is melting away while she doesn't understand that I have problems that effect my weight loss. My husband and I would like to have another baby but I want to get my PCOS under control and down to a more ideal weight. I'm in the middle of the P90X workout and though I have gained a lot of muscle, I've only lost 3inches and 7lbs in ever last 7 weeks. I currently seem to be at a stand still and I'm doing the workouts at home plus the gym. About a week ago I changed my diet up to lots of veggies, fruits, beans, chicken. Basically no more processed breads, sugars. I know is only been a week but I'm ready to see a big change!!!!! As I'm sure every one is. I just need some friends to help support me because they understand. I'm ready to be a healthy size!! Best of luck to all you ladies, I hope to keep in touch!! Thanks, Amberlee
  • Kell_lynn
    Kell_lynn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with pcos as well! I have beem dealing with pcos since I was 18 and now I'm 30! I want to lose weight so bad and I know its possible cause I have done it! Its just a lifestyle you have to stick with and thats were its hard for me! I need motivation to keep with it! If you are someone that can help do that please add me as a friend Kell_lynn! I am going to start using myfitnesspal app again! I got out of it and I know I need to get back on track again! (:
  • tifanico
    tifanico Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and I have always struggled to keep the weight off. I lose the weight and then gain it all back. I started dieting about a year ago and had good results. Lost about 16lbs that I was able to keep off by exercising.

What my Dr has told me is that losing weight is the best thing I can do. By losing weight I will be able to control the symptoms of PCOS making it possible to lose even more weight.

I am on my second attempt to get rid of the rest of the weight, hopefully this time is for good.
  • nangel4u
    nangel4u Posts: 119
    Options
    hey i have pcos and found out I have it about 2 months ago. what works for me is just working out and exercising about 5-6 days a week and doing lots and lots of cardio with a little bit of strength training. I am currently doing insanity and I love it :-)
  • JennaYager
    Options
    I am 28 years old and had PCOS for a while now, When I first got it I didn't realize and I gained 30 pounds, I tried all different types of diets. You name it I did it, I did the Lewis, the Atkins random calorie counting - none of them helped, and if they did I just gained it back right away. When my brother came back from the navy he showed me a workout method p90x - I was hooked. I learned that no matter how much dieting I do - it has to do with how much I exercise, I lost 5 pounds in the first 90 days. It is extremely vigorous work, but it is awesome! I feel so much happier! I have so much energy now! It changed my life. I don't even care about my PCOS anymore! WE GIRLS GOTTA HAVE A POSITIVE ATTITUDE! That is the most important thing! http://www.p90x-fitness.com - is the link to p90x! The best way to beat weight gain is to just punch it in the face! YOU GOTTA CREATE THE ENERGY!
  • allisshiney
    allisshiney Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I just finished reading The Paleo Diet and have spent all week glued to The Primal Blueprint website. There are tons of success stories of people who have struggled with PCOS and have erased symptoms by following this diet. You should check it out.
  • Mrc1974
    Mrc1974 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am 21 years old and I have PCOS. I weigh over 300 pounds and it's always been a struggle for me to lose weight. Is there any other females out there going through the same thing? I would love to hear what kind of things work for you.

Amanda

Hey Amanda

I know where you are coming from on this, as I have the same problem, I am pretty sure if I didn't have PCOS the weight would be coming off quicker and easier!! It is sometimes very hard to deal with, and to be honest I haven't found the thing that works for me yet. The country that I live in doesn't give meds for PCOS either, so I can't even try metformin etc..

Hopefully things will become easier soon!

Cheers

Emma
  • karimariep
    Options
    Exercise is absolutely necessary for me to lose weight with PCOS! That paired with a diet based around veggies and lean protein with NO processed or fast foods or simple carbs. I have to be really strict with a healthy lifestyle to lose weight but I am down 38 pounds so far and feel amazing.
  • peps1985
    peps1985 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi just came across this thread when i googled PCOS and weight loss. I have had PCOS for about 10 years now and am finding it extremely hard to lose weight. I am about 3 stone overweight at the moment and seem to be getting heavier every year. I joined unislim a couple of weeks ago. The plan is based on Low Gi which is meant to be the best for PCOS sufferers. But I am not seeing the results for the amount of exercise I am doing. I have completely changed my diet and am cutting out all treats, eating only brown carbs and exercising 5 times a week. It is so frustrating when friends of mine are on the same plan and losing lots of weight even though they do zero exercise :-(

I tried metformin a few years ago but couldn't get past the first week or too as the side effects were too much (constant nausea). I have made an appointment with my doc for this week and am going to try going on it again. Has anybody that is on it have any tips for getting over the side effects or know how long these last??

Would love to hear from anyone with the same problems/advice :-)
  • sorcha1977
    sorcha1977 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I had my hormones checked last year (please do this if you haven't yet). My doctor put me on metformin, took me off the high-estrogen BCP (my estrogen was fine without them), and put me on progesterone since my progesterone was close to zero. I also eat around 100-125 carbs per day, sort of like a modified South Beach diet plus the "Linking" method (always eat protein with carbs), and I have to exercise. I've found that even if my diet and calories are spot-on, I will not lose weight without exercise.

Even with all of that being perfect, I still go weeks without a loss and then lose about a pound per week when I do lose. It's incredibly frustrating, especially when I see so many people losing 8-10 pounds per month, but I figure 56 pounds is better than 0. :) I'll never regret starting, and I don't plan to quit. Ever. Once I hit goal weight, I'm going to keep logging my calories, exercising, and watching my carb levels. My doctor warned me that I'm pre-diabetic (insulin resistant), so it's imperative I keep everything in check. Hopefully, that risk will go away once I lose more weight. I have my yearly A1C test coming up, and I'm hoping it's down a bit. /crosses fingers
  • Janey16Ap
    Janey16Ap Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi.
    I have just found out that I have pcos.. I have been trying to lose weight though its so difficult. I weigh 56kg and I'm stuck can't losw anything.. But I have exercising as often as I can. But it is difficult to stay motivated
  • nfpswife
    nfpswife Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It's NOT easy...every dang pound is a struggle - BUT you actually can "treat" your PCOS with a healthy diet and exercise, so I was basically killing two birds with one stone.

Exercise is a must. A healthy mix of cardio and weights. I started running, but really, do what's comfortable for you.

I also found that carbs were a huge issue. I was prescribed the metformin but HATED what it did to my body, so I stopped it. I extremely reduced the amount of simple carbs and upped my protein as much as I could handle. Every meal is approximately 60% protein. No more white breads, sugars, candys (Sad face, infinityyyy), etc. I do allow them as treats, but honestly, I don't even like eating it anymore, because you can seriously tell a difference.

Research also shows that taking a supplemental super B complex can help, along with iron and a daily vitamin. I also take St. John's Wort for the mood swings that tend to come along with PCOS. I'm no doctor, but this has really helped me. I'm a huge advocate for herbal teas and LOTS of water too.

You ladies CAN do this!!!!! (PS - This weight loss also helped me regulate my cycles enough to get preggers...it may be the only time I'm able, but I had my one baby!!!)
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am struggling with this right now too. I know this post is a few months old but I am really needing support!! I lost 51lbs a year and a half ago by only eating enough food so that I didn't pass out and running every day. It was unhealthy but it worked for me. I'm down to my last 30lbs I want to lose, the right way, but it its anything but easy!! And it doesn't help that my best friend is working out too and her fat is melting away while she doesn't understand that I have problems that effect my weight loss. My husband and I would like to have another baby but I want to get my PCOS under control and down to a more ideal weight. I'm in the middle of the P90X workout and though I have gained a lot of muscle, I've only lost 3inches and 7lbs in ever last 7 weeks. I currently seem to be at a stand still and I'm doing the workouts at home plus the gym. About a week ago I changed my diet up to lots of veggies, fruits, beans, chicken. Basically no more processed breads, sugars. I know is only been a week but I'm ready to see a big change!!!!! As I'm sure every one is. I just need some friends to help support me because they understand. I'm ready to be a healthy size!! Best of luck to all you ladies, I hope to keep in touch!! Thanks, Amberlee
    I'm also planning on ttc soonish...
    I just did a lot of research, and plan on taking herbs to balance my hormones.
    Everything else should fall into place. Fx
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    So, between the herbs, and going gluten free, you can practically cure PCOS.
    I'm just having a very difficult time completely switching to a gluten free diet.
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS...I do believe that it hampered my weight loss, but if you have the attitude that you won't let it beat you, you will beat it! I will admit, I have been terrible about taking my proper meds (BC and Metformin - i am hypoclycemic, so I am always scared to take the metformin)...and even so have still lost 30 lbs. Of course i dont recommend not taking your meds...lol. I also believe (and reading your post reminded me about if and i am going to start up this weekend) that if i take my meds I'll do even better.

What are you on?

PCOS means you have to believe this will be a harder fight! :happy:

Feel free to add me if you like!!

I also like to hear from others with PCOS, to get their view and advice too!
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Crunchybubble what herbs do you mean that help with PCOS? there is a part of me that wonders if PCOS is part of my migraine issue too, so anything i can do that will help it i am all about, and the less pharmaseutical the better :)

Also, has anyone ever seen or noticed with all the groups we have, is there a PCOS group?
  • kat5fish
    kat5fish Posts: 2
    Options
    I have it and it sucks!

What I find the most demotivating is every time I lose it gets to a certain part of my cycle and I gain 3-6lbs in water weight which can take a couple of weeks to go. I could cry in frustration!

Looking for something to do to shift it..... Any suggestions?