Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Hey All! I Need some Clarification

Hey All!

I have been reading through all these boards, and I am amazed by the amount of knowledge I have picked up over the past few months. Thank you to everyone who has helped me learned the right way to do this.

Let me give you a little background of what I'm doing here:

I have always had a husky build. My father was built this way and obesity runs on my mother's side of the family. Needless to say, it's always been an uphill battle for me. I've always been athletic, and have been a hockey goalie since I was a kid. In 2005, during a game, I blew out my knee and couldn't really walk for 3 months. I had little regard for what I ate and really started packing on the pounds. I wasn't fully healed until I started college in 2007 and by then I had ballooned to 300 pounds.

By the end of 2008, I had reached my peak at 315 pounds. One day, during winter break, I had decided that enough was enough. I forced myself to start a low-carb lifestyle, only eating up to 20 carbs a day (I had lost some weight on it when I was 14 and liked it). By the fall of 2009, I had gotten down to about 227, and had given up because I was too bored of limited food choices. I started lifting weights in the spring of 2010, but stopped watching my eating habits. Before you know it, although I had bulked up from lifting, I started packing on the pounds. I'd say I gained close to 20 pounds in fat again, and the rest in muscle.

This past summer, I really set a goal to get myself in shape. I re-started my low carb diet, worked out really hard, and lost about 15 pounds. Then in August, I dislocated my kneecap playing as a fill-in goalie. What made it worse was that it happened in warmups. I lost all motivation and had no drive to get going again. I gained all the weight back that I lost and wasn't able to fully run until last month.

I had seen myself starting to gain back the pounds I lost in 2009, and it scared the hell out of me. I never wanted to be that big again. So I put together a plan and re-motivated myself that I was not going to stop until I hit my goal weight. On February 1st, I started going to the gym and running, every single day. I dumped the low carb lifestyle and started eating healthy. I am back to playing hockey, and haven't felt this healthy in a long time.

Basically, I wanted to do this the old-fashioned way. No gimmicks, no magic, just pure hard work.

So here's my daily plan. Please let me know if I need to make any alterations to this, because I want to make sure I am not depriving my body and it kicks into starvation mode.

-Eat gross calories of 1740 per day (Sedentary - desk job, 2lbs a week)
-30-45 minutes of either treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike, or stairmaster.
-Sometimes I combine two in the same night to total 30-45 minutes.
-I average a 400-650 calorie burn per cardio session
-After cardio, I lift for about 20 minutes.
-After lifting, I stretch and work on my "goalie muscles" for about 5-10 minutes.
-After the gym, I have a Pure Protein 150 calorie shake with some strawberries blended in.

I repeat this scenario about 5-6 times in a week, depending on my schedules. I work 8:30-5pm and am at the gym by 7pm.

My goal is to get down to about 190-195 pounds. That's the target weight for me, but I understand being 6'0 and a husky build that may be thin.

My question is, am I taking in enough calories? I've lost 10lbs since 2/1/13, and some inches, but I am worried that I am not giving my body enough sustenance.

If there are any suggestions that I could incorporate to my eating habits (I don't want to say diet, because this is a lifestyle change for me), or my workout routine, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks again everyone!

Replies

• jenniferlynn2477
    jenniferlynn2477 Posts: 39 Member
    I know the one thing I've been cautioned on is eating back your "exercise calories". I'm not sure how this fits in to what you're doing, but that could be something you just make sure that you're keeping track of as well. When you put in your meals in MFP and you put in your exercise calories that you burn you can always check the net to figure out where you need to be.

I know numbers a lot are the most frustrating thing, I was just saying this morning I know that I have lost inches, but my numbers aren't showing it. There's all those reasons out there that we all know. I wish I had measured myself from the beginning to know what the difference is because a lot of us get hung up on numbers.

Doing it the old fashioned way works, pills and the fad diets come and go. But you can change how you eat to make a new beginning and thats the way that you can do for the rest of your life. Good luck with your journey!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    your a sweetie
    good luck to ya!
  • xtezx
    xtezx Posts: 10
    Hey all. been on mfp for 5 months now and could do with some new friends :-) please feel free to add me xx
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Adding you for support :)