Red Wine or White Wine?

Options

Replies

• SeaJenni
    SeaJenni Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Somebody just turned me on to Malbecs from Argentina. They are red. Yummy. Can be pricey.

For years, I've liked Sauvignon Blancs from Marlborough, New Zealand.

The spritzer advice was good advice. You can get any cheap wine and add club soda and a lime. Sangria is usually red wine with club soda, orange juice, lemon juice, sugar, and brandy, but you can make a mini mock sangria by only using the red wine, club soda, and some whole fruit. If you don't like the spritzer, you can try alternating a regular glass of wine with a club soda and lime, or using Seltzer instead.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have not based this on calories but (of course, it depends on what you are eating)...right now I am liking New Age white wine or Jacob's Creek Moscato. That's what I would drink tonight! I am in the mood for something light and easy-drinking. If you like Riesling, you will like these. I think Jacob's Creek Moscato is about 140 calories per glass. I don't mess around with my wine. I just drink it.

For red, lately I'm drinking Layer Cake Shiraz or 7 Deadly Zins. I am also liking Malbecs, but I don't like them really young. I like a vintage that 2 years old or more, in most cases. However, I'm not an expert, so if you go to a wine store, ask them for a recommendation. :smile:
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    red :)
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your calories on something that won't be 100% worth it.
    [/quote]

^^^^^^This. Never skimp on wine, chocolate, or coffee. Have a little but have the good stuff.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    red for me

Shiraz
    Syrah
    Pinotage from South Africa
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    My favorite are Chilean Cabs.

My personal brand favorite - Casillero del Diablo.

It could be because I lived down the street from the factory when I lived in Chile.... hmmm.

But great, cheap (I can find it here for like $9 a bottle), and delicious.
  • weezbagy
    weezbagy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Pinot Noir. Always and forever.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    14 Hands Cabernet Sauvignon
    Da Vinci Chianti
    Chateau Michelle Riesling

I've had the Da Vinci Chianti. Very good wine.

You've got good taste!

I also like Zinfandel but not that crap "white" zinfandel stuff. Yuck yuck yuck! That has bastardized the grape and when people hear the name they immediately go to Berringer. There are so many delicious Zinfandel wines out there. People need to realize this.
  • mklassy123
    Options
    My sister turned me onto a red blend called Apothic. Here in NY it's about $10 a bottle. It's a good everyday wine, goes with a meal and also tastes great having a glass on its own. Even my boyfriend (total wine snob) likes it.
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Red!! Agree with the earlier poster about Argentina Malbec...Awesome! Love a good PInot or Merlot as well!
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    Compromise between price and taste and go for a really beautiful pinot noir from 2009 in the Russian River Valley, preferably vintner's reserve.

This! A good pinot noir is everyones friend.
  • aaronisaranger
    Options
    Malbec is amazing! Try Cantana! Its is delish and right around $20
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I don't know a dang thing about wine, have the palate of a child, and am totally broke. Those three things in mind, I like Barefoot Cellars red Moscato and Sweet Red.
  • I'm a Reisling girl too!
  • LoraleiDean
    Options
    I usually pick white or rose wines.
    A good , yet inexpensive choice is Naked Grape Cabernet.
  • Tmoney19
    Tmoney19 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    What food will you be drinking it with?

Nothing special, just a nice homemade sandwhich and the couch :-)
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    South African Can Sauv does it for me every time!
  • Tmoney19
    Options
    Compromise between price and taste and go for a really beautiful pinot noir from 2009 in the Russian River Valley, preferably vintner's reserve.

This! A good pinot noir is everyones friend.

Awesome thanks! Note taken :-)
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I love the Sweet Red Roo by Yellowtail. And at about $12 for a large bottle, you can't beat it!
  • Tmoney19
    Options
    My sister turned me onto a red blend called Apothic. Here in NY it's about $10 a bottle. It's a good everyday wine, goes with a meal and also tastes great having a glass on its own. Even my boyfriend (total wine snob) likes it.

I've been meaning to try this one. Thanks for the reminder! :-)