Will my legs ever be worthy of shorts?

Options
I have been back to MFP for just over a month and have wondered lately if my legs will ever be worthy of wearing shorts again! Due to my weight yo-yoing, heredity and childbirth; my legs are covered with cellulite and varicose veins. Not to mention i'm short and fair-skinned. I know I am only a month (and -8 lbs) into this journey, so it's probably early to say. But I have a hard time seeing that I would ever be able to confidently wear a pair of shorts again--at least ones that don't come to my knees :smile: I was just curious if anyone out there has seen drastic changes in their legs...something to give me hope!

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    YES!! YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • JessicaPasieka
    JessicaPasieka Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I wonder the same about myself. My legs are definitely my biggest problem area and the area I am most worried about. I have never in my Entire life been able to feel confident in a pair of shorts. However, in September, I will be going to California with my boyfriend and I hope by then, I feel good and look good enough to wear shorts or a sundress. I think once I start working out and tightening and firming, I will be better off. But I feel just the same as you do.
  • laynunugawa
    laynunugawa Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    yes you will wear shorts again, as long as you continue your healthy lifestyle journey. It took me a long time but you have to take it one day at a time.

I actually bought a pair of shorts a couple sizes down and would hang them in my closet as a target goal and motivator. Do what works for you but you can get there. You have already lost 8lbs, that is so good.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I am quite overweight and also have cellulite and varicose veins... and um, I'm going to wear shorts this summer. Just because I need to lose weight doesn't mean I have to suffer.
  • mamabear272
    mamabear272 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have never been bothered by shorts. I'm definitely not the most secure person in the world but my theory was always "if you don't like the way my legs look then don't look at them!" I dress for my comfort level and I'm so not running around in jeans or even capris when it's sweltering outside just so that you don't judge my legs! Wear those shorts girl!
  • mariehamid
    mariehamid Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am having the same issue. For years I've struggled with the same problem. Lost the weight and everything else would get toned but not my cottage cheese thighs. It also runs in my side of the family :( with the varicose veins and I'm sporting some nasty looking ones now. They got extremly worse after I had my last child. I even tried those silly creams and spent so much money thinking that would help the appearance of the celluite but nothing has helped. I'm open to any suggestions also because at this point I'm dreading spring and summer...
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will....and if the veins bother you enough...there's a lot of options these days for treatment (maybe that can be your self-reward when you reach your goal).

Good luck!!
  • MsMori46
    Options
    Buy some goal shorts and when you get to your goal weight, wear them! No matter how you think they look. We are usually our own worst critics and no one is perfect. Wear the shorts because you are proud of yourself for all your hard work not because you have skinny, tan, flawless legs. You can do it and you will look great! Post a pic when you put them on!! I am cheering for you!
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have always disliked my legs. But now I love them! Cycling like a crazy person has helped sculpt my legs but losing weight has made me more comfortable with my body. This past summer was the first time I really wore relatively short shorts confidently. I partly didn't wear shorts because of that weird bunching action when my legs would rub together, but now they don't do that! Can't wait for summer to get here again so I can show off my new, even better legs! Oh, and I still have cellulite and some varicose veins.

You are worth it and you can do it! You'll look hot in tight short skirts too! :bigsmile:
  • mspris2u
    mspris2u Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've had cellulite since I was a teenager and been heavy for a good portion of my life. Grew up in Florida so always wore shorts and CAN'T WAIT til it warms up enough for me to rock shorts again!! I say wear them now and wear them proudly!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I wear what I want. You should, too.
  • ohmgetsfit
    ohmgetsfit Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am also wondering the same thing. I haven't worn shorts in many years!
  • rougecrayon
    Options
    I used to never weat shorts because I thought my legs were fat...

Until my "Chicken legged" mom and I measured our legs, and mine were as small as hers. I may not have baby legs or vericose veins, but it is never as bad as you think it is and you deserve to wear shorts and not feel bad about yourself!

Look around this summer at all the vericosed-cellulose ridden legs uncovered and you never cared or thought they were ugly... why should they?

Trust me, you are beautiful!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I never thought I'd be able to go to the pool or the beach without a t-shirt ever again...even then, it wasn't the prettiest of sites to see. It has long been a huge discouragement of mine...years ago I had the body of an athlete and the former Marine that I am...that somehow turned into big man boobs and a huge gut and flabby arms. Never thought I'd be able to get it back and just resigned myself to such.

Now...can't wait to hit the pool...not where I want to be yet, but low and behold my hard work is paying off. I can see my muscles again under all that fat...even though I still have a nice little layer, I can see them. When it's all said and done, I'm estimating that it will take at least a year total from my start to reach my goal BF% and weight...from there, I'll be trying to put on some more muscle to attain my previous body...all in all, I imagine it will be a total of 2-3 year process...and then of course, maintaining that for the rest of my life.
  • tyrannosarousREX
    Options
    I have never in my life been comfortable wearing shorts. I'm determined to feel okay with it this summer. my legs need some colour! my legs are smaller then a lot of people I know who wear shorts all the time. I think my issue is mostly in my head. You can definitely do this. I found doing a lot of squats and lunges really helped me get rid of cellulite. I'm sure you look fantastic.
  • Jubee31
    Jubee31 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    just quit now, it seems that is the attitude you have.

Really? She was asking a question about shorts. You obviously didn't read and/or understand her post.

I *hope* one day I'll be comfortable in shorts too! All I can do is just work away and see what happens! Good luck to you!!
  • BriUndead
    Options
    No matter what, don't give up. You can do it if you truly want too. Also maybe you need to try and just be confident about your legs. I'm going to wear shorts this summer even though I'll still be overweight. Just don't worry about what others think. I understand this can be hard because we all have insecurities. Mine is my stretch marks on my stomach and around my waist. I'd love to wear a bikini this summer after I've lost more weight but am afraid people will look at me like I'm deformed. But then I remind myself that things such as stretch marks are normal and do not make you ugly. So try to stay positive.
  • erg2013
    erg2013 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I can relate as I carry all my weight in my thighs. In addition to diet and lifting, I have seen small improvements in the *look* of my legs by doing the following:

1) Dry brushing (thickens skin, makes cellulite less noticeable; improves lymph flow)
    2) Daily inversion. Simple: legs up the wall for 20 minutes a day. Moves lymph as well. Peaceful way to start or end the day
    3) Body Bronzer

hope that helps!
  • mayflowermn
    mayflowermn Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can get "short worthy legs"! I didn't have to worry about varicose veins, but I had plenty of cellulite in those chunky thighs of mine (curse those Czech/German genes of mine! lol). I have definitely noticed an improvement and while it has taken a while, the cellulite has been reduced....even was surprised that the cellulite in the ol' tush had improved! Granted it's not worthy of anyone even remotely wanting to trade their soul for it, but at least it's not looking like some old sofa cushion that the dog tore some of the stuffing out of! lol

For what it's worth, I attribute it to spending the last 10 months lifting weights and really pushing myself to lift as heavy as possible. I simply love the challenge of seeing what amount of weight I am able to push. Leg day is not my favorite by any stretch but I am starting to see some real definition and some gains in strength which helps motivate me to push through the workout. I just added deadlifts and clean & jerks so looking forward to see how that changes things.

So yes, there is hope!
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Mine I will never be able to slip into shorts....this is due to excess skin. But the way I look at it is...make the most of your attributes...whilst my legs suck LOL im quite small uptop and seem to build muscle in my shoulders and biceps etc quite easily. So while I do still exercise my legs....I focus on upper body. When I dress if i can wear strappy or sleeveless clothes to show them off I do! I also have a hour glass figure so try to show my waist off. None of us have perfect bodies...just make the best of your assets :)