Custom running shoes?

Options
Hi everyone. When I was posting a couple weeks ago about running, I got a few recommendations to go to a shoe store that specializes in running and get some custom sneakers? Any suggestions on how to find a place? Like, do standard shoe stores like Foot Locker or anything do that? Sorry, I'm new to running and I loove it so I'd like to know! Just signed up for a 10K!

Replies

• thenebean9
    thenebean9 Posts: 216
    Options
    There are local running stores (like Fleet Feet - not sure what's in your area) that will measure your feet, check your running gait and style as well as any pronation you may have, and recommend a shoe that will work best for your feet. they aren't custom shoes, but they are shoes that were chosen specifically for your feet that meet the needs you have as a runner. some of the brand specific stores like new balance will also do the same, except that they only have their own brand to sell you. Maybe others can offer up some other running stores that would help you out? i don't think foot locker would do anything like that though :(

Best of luck to you!! :)
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I recommend going to a store that SPECIALIZES in running shoes. Foot Locker etc sell all kinds of shoes and you are likely to get a teenager that knows nothing about fitting you with the proper shoe given your unique foot. The two in my area are called Road Runner and Feet First. However, I don't know what you have in your area. The store should be able to analyze your gait, your step etc and determine if you need a neutral shoe, a stability shoe etc. Hope this helps.
    Risa
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I did a quick google search for "running store" near your location (from your profile) and found some results, though you might need to drive a bit since google is not showing closer locations. Below is the URL for the results of my search, you should be able to copy/paste into your browser:

http://maps.google.com/maps?near=Tewksbury&geocode=CfpoNF3EeU80FXwvigIdXgvB-w&q=running+store
  • Al77
    Al77 Posts: 47
    Options
    Awesome thanks! I actually found a place right near my work!