Private School Tuition

Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
My ex-husband and I are discussing our son's tuition, and we're in an interesting debate. So, random survey...

If your child goes to a private school (of any kind), what do you pay for tuition? What state, and what grade?

Thanks for playing :wink:

Replies

• capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    I was paying $195/wk for daycare for my Kindergartner. Just switched to a new place that will be $175/wk. This is the Chicago burbs. We were thinking of private school as well and found that tuition for these wouddl only be a small amount more. In the end we went public: to save the money, and becuase he was accepted into a dual-language program that the private schools around us simply didn't offer. Being of Cuban decent, it's important to us that he learns spanish.
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    We just recently switched our son to private school. We do a 60/40 split as my ex makes alot more money than me. And with us agreeing on that, he didn't try to lower my child support payment. My son is in 9th grade in GA
  • arnoswife
    arnoswife Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have my daughter is pre k4 right now private school, that costs 128.00 a month. If I send all three of my kids there for K-8th grade it would cost us $707.00 a month!!! Mind you every year they jack the price up!
  • btwalsh132
    btwalsh132 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    In Chicago area, private high school is $8k-$17K (+) per year.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I taught at one.

It was a Montessori school in the East Bay Area (Northern California), and the tuition was $1800/month. Yes, really.

This was in approx. 2006~ and the school was K-8, all the grades were the same rate. I happened to teach 4th.

Depending on the school district where you live, it can be well worth it to pay tuition, or a total waste. Have you checked out your schools' report cards?

eta: I liked working there, but even if I were a bazillionaire, I would not have sent my kids there. It was too high, and those kids weren't exceptionally more educated than any of their public school peers. Plus, the no-grades concept was baloney, imho.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I went to a college prep school and was curious what the tuition would be for my kids. Currently ranges from $12/year for elementary up to $19k/ year for high school. Hehe, oh well!

But we moved to an area with excellent public schools. No, it's not the same as my private education but I'm pretty pleased with the educational, fine arts, and athletic offerings.

Oh, DFW area of Texas.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Catholic high school in the SW suburbs of Chicago for my daughter. $10,000 a year.
  • AmandaPandah
    AmandaPandah Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    This, folks, is why high taxes work out in the end. No tuition fees!
  • caroldot
    Options
    We just recently switched our son to private school. We do a 60/40 split as my ex makes alot more money than me. And with us agreeing on that, he didn't try to lower my child support payment. My son is in 9th grade in GA

Sorry forgot to mention its $12,000/year
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    for my last stint it was 4800 for my junior and senior year (each year). I had an academic scholarship though (though most just thought I was paid to play football).

This was in north Louisiana. I think the same school is 6000/year now.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Elementary Catholic schools for our kids- $8,000-$10,000 per year.

My boys then attended a Jesuit high school (Catholic). Tuition per year $16,500.

Then they both attended Jesuit colleges. Tuition per year $43,000.

Best investment we've ever made!
  • carryingon
    carryingon Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    In Nebraska- My son is in Kindergarten. It is a Catholic school and usually runs $3000 per year. He got a $1000 scholarship. They took another thousand off for me joining the parish. So $1000 divided by 9 months $111 per month.
  • ckhagen
    ckhagen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Northwest Florida, private church school about $600 a month each. I have two kids, 1st and 3rd grade. There are a couple of cheaper schools that are in the $400 a month range, a TESLA school that's about $800 a month, and several private montessori type schools that are $1000+ per month.
  • drkuhl2017
    drkuhl2017 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I went to a private high school in WI from half way through my freshman year on, and my parents paid between $5500 and $6000/year.
  • caroldot
    Options
    Its also why charter schools work so much better than public schools! Public school but funded privately & get more parent involvement. At least its that way in the area I live in.

p.s. not trying to start a debate - just my little 'ole opinion! No mean to offend anyone - teachers that teach in the public school systems in ANY city are well UNDER-paid!!
  • kdub67
    kdub67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    My kids are both in private Catholic schools in suburban Detroit. My daughter's middle school is around $4,000 a year and my son's high school is around $11,000 a year. Kind of crazy, I know, especially given the fact that we live in one of the highest ranking public school districts in the state, but a faith based school was important to us, so the sacrifice is worth it:)
  • veronica341972
    Options
    We have had my boys in private school till we moved to Florida...........we actually paid more in tuition when we moved here. The state actually offered us financial assistance with our tuition if we would of stayed. WE tried public school for one year and opted to homeschool......................We have paid from $3,000 $5,000 a year in tuition and now the costs are simply in homeschooling material that we pay out of our own pockets.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options

Really, are you bragging about the efficiency and effectiveness of the US Public education system???? :laugh:

We tend to spend more per student and get crappier results.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options

Hardly. High taxes mean that your tax dollars are held hostage by the public school system. If you want your kid to go elsewhere, you're free to, of course. At your own expense.

This is a sore point with me. I lived in a very well-regarded school district in Bergen County, NJ and DS was falling through the cracks. I sent him to HS at NY Military Academy and he blossomed- got into physical shape, was described as "driven" and "disciplined" by one teacher, and was an officer of 2 companies when he graduated. He's now got a Math degre, a good job, a house, and a fiancee we love.

From 1999-2003, I paid about $14K per year for room, board, school fees and uniforms. Worth every penny.
  • Fit_Vixen1
    Options
    My son was accepted into the honors program of a pretty good Private School. He was awarded a scholarship :) But it'll still come out to be over $11k/year.