10 weight loss commandments

Options
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/dr-oz-s-10-weight-loss-commandments

1. Thou Shalt Not Wear Pants that Stretch

Your clothing is an early-warning system for weight gain. When it’s getting hard to snap your jeans, you know it’s time to be vigilant. Wearing stretchy clothes allows you to live in ignorance of how your body is growing, making it easier to pack on pounds without knowing it.

2. Thou Shalt Not Keep Bad Clothes in Your Closet

When you keep the clothes you wore at an unhealthy weight, it gives you a back-up plan if the pounds don’t come off. Instead, force yourself to stay on track by 86ing your “fat pants.”

3. Thou Shalt Not Eat Meat That Walks on Four Legs More Than Once a Week

Meat that comes from an animal with 4 legs is higher in saturated fat (the unhealthy kind) than that which comes from 2-legged animals such as chickens, or animals with no legs, like fish. Plus: women who eat large amounts of red meat more than once a week have a 50% higher chance of dying from heart disease and have higher cancer rates.

4. Thou Shalt Not Graze

Plan your meal before you open the refrigerator, get what you need, and close the door. Opening it throughout the day leads to impulsive choices and overeating.

5. Thou Shalt Not Eat After 7:30pm

When you eat late at night you are more likely to be eating in front of the TV (when you won’t pay attention to how much you’re putting in your mouth) and you’re more likely to pick high-calorie snacks.

6. Thou Shalt Not Pile Food More than 1 Inch High or Within 2 Inches of the Plate Edge

Larger portions equal more calories. ‘Nuff said.

7. Thou Shalt Not Chew Food Less than 20 Times Per Bite

Chewing allows your body to realize that you are eating food, prompting it to create a sensation of fullness at the appropriate time. When you don’t chew enough, you get ahead of that process, eating well past when you are actually satisfied.

8. Thou Shalt Not Covet Thy Neighbor’s Plate

Spend your day nibbling bites on someone else’s sandwich or afternoon snack, and you will add on 1,000 calories easy.

9. Thou Shalt Not Carry Small Bills

Nothing loves a small bill better than a vending machine. When you have them at the ready, you are one step closer to an impulsive, calorie-loaded afternoon slip up.

10. Thou Shalt Not Eat While Standing Up

Eating sitting down enables you to be aware of what you’re eating and eat it slowly so that your body can tell you your full before it’s too late.

Replies

• rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    HA! I love this and makes a lot of good sense. I'd like to add...

thou shalt not eat while watching TV. i KNOW I eat more when I watch TV and eat.
  • foxgo
    foxgo Posts: 11
    Options
    Excellent post, I agree with all 10!!!
  • Crysta1976
    Crysta1976 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    yep....love it!
  • SassyMissDasha
    Options
    Cute post. Thanks for sharing!
  • jennmcpherson
    jennmcpherson Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • cowboybrown
    Options
    How funny, love number 8, thou shall not eat thy neighbors plate :P
  • msciccone1
    msciccone1 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Love it!!! Thanks!!!
  • pamw22
    pamw22 Posts: 77
    Options
    Love it!!!! Live it!!!!!
  • IbettR
    IbettR Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to print this. :laugh: If they don't listen to me at home :grumble: maybe they'll listen to this :laugh:
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    Bump :wink:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    There is plenty in the original post that really doesn't help with making healthy long term choices or learning good habits. There are some "funnies" like number 8, but there really isn't a lot of substance here. I am numbering my comments to correspond to the statements on the original post:

1. There is nothing wrong with stretchy clothing. When one is losing, a very practical solution to purchasing clothing is to look for things that stretch, purchase the size you can barely fit in to, and get more good out of the garment for longer as you get smaller.

2. Keeping some of your "fat" clothing, and trying in on periodically, can help you maintain your resolve to NEVER be that size again.

3. I don't advocate eating much red meat, but this arbitrary, "not more than once a week" pronouncement specifically states "LARGE" portions of red meat. I think the portion size is more important than whether or not you happen to eat 3 oz of red meat twice or even three times a week.

4. A better rule would be, don't obsess over how many times you happen to open the fridge. Instead, only keep healthy options available, so that if you are in "snack" mode you can quickly find a bag of veggies or a small piece of cheese to satisfy you and get on with the rest of your life.

5. Baloney!! I never eat dinner until 8 or 9 pm, and if I am hungry when I go to bed at midnight, I EAT something. The secret is don't eat a large meal, and if you have a snack, make it a light one, AND stay within your total calories for the day. I have had, and continue to have NO difficulty losing--even though I eat late.

6. When I put things on a plate, the LAST thing I want to do is take out a tape measure and see if it fits into an arbitrary space and thickness. It depends on WHAT you are piling. No one ever got fat from eating a large serving of broccoli. A simpler solution to controlling portion size is to use a smaller plate. I use salad plates instead of dinner plates--can't help but eat smaller portions, and you feel like you are getting more because the plate is full.

9. Life is full of temptations, and some of them are in vending machines, and convenience stores (which take debit cards, AND give change!!) Life is complicated enough without the added irritation of not having cash available if you need it. A better decision would be to resolve to not purchase unhealthy snacks when you are out and about.

10. What hooey. You can be just as aware of what your eating if you standing or sitting. It is your BRAIN, not the position of your backside, that determines whether or not you are paying attention to what you are doing.

Now that I have skewered Dr. Oz, below are Ten Commandments for Weight Loss that can actually help you build lifelong habits for healthier eating. I came up with these last year and received many positive comments:
    After fighting the battle from the time I was about 11 years old, I have learned a few things that I would like to share, so here are my 10 Commandments of PERMANENT Weight Loss:

1. "Normal" is what you make it. So I have changed my "normal" diet to one that does allow me to have things I like, but in moderation. I LIKE breads, and pasta. Thus, although I lost on a low carb program, Atkins is not comfortable for me, long term, so when I went off of it, I gained.

2. Veggies are your friend. In addition to the nutrients they provide, and "good carbs," they are very filling. They can help you reduce your calories and not feel you are starving to death.

3. You can EAT ANYTHING you want, if you P L A N for it, calorie-wise speaking. When I have a special occasion or a dinner out where I know I will be exposed to things I like but don't have everyday, I don't have to deprive myself, because I can go into the MFP database ahead of time, figure out the caloric "cost" of different things and plan how to order. Many restaurants have nutritional information on their websites, which is also helpful for this purpose.

4. People who severely limit their calories will lost, BUT as soon as they try to eat any additional, they will gain very easily. This is because the body becomes too "efficient" by slowing the metabolism to get by with less. The way around this that has worked well for me is "Zig zag calories." You can google it and get all kinds of info, but simply put, you eat MORE on a given day, on a regular basis. For me, every 3 -4 weeks, I will do a day where I might have 2000-2200 calories on a given day. This is different from the other days, where I have 1200-1400 per day.

This WORKS. I lost 20 lbs. in 9 weeks. I have NOT been hungry. I am not feeling deprived. I have foods in my kitchen that would normally send me in to "binge" mode, but they don't bother me now, because I know I can have them, as long as I take into account what else I will be able to eat that day.

5. EXERCISE matters!! I haven't started strength training yet, for reasons of time and practicality, BUT, I am the queen of walking. I average 20-28 miles a week. It is free, can be done by most anyone, baring physical limitations, and if you get yourself a cheap MP3 player (it doesn't HAVE to be a spendy IPOD) load some fast tunes on it, you will be surprised how quickly the time flies.

If you are trying to lose and you are only doing strength training, you are going to be disappointed with the results in terms of pounds lost, but you will likely firm up, build muscle (helps boost your metabolism) and be more toned, so include some cardio for a complete program of exercise.

6. Be responsible for what you put in your mouth. I have heard, and used all the excuses. "It was there" "I was hungry" "My boyfriend made me go to the pizza parlor" 'or to Baskin & Robbins." (ice cream chain for those that are not familiar w/the name) That last statement may be true, but he didn't hold a gun to your head and FORCE you to eat 5 slices of pizza instead of having one slice and a salad!! and no one threatened you into having a 3 scoop banana split instead of a child size dish of your favorite flavor.

7. People who log their foods lose more weight than those who don't . Thank goodness for MFP!!! People who have a support system, whether family, friends, or online --such as right here-MFP!! are more likely to be successful over the long term than those who don't.

8. People who make permanent changes in the way they deal with food and how and what they eat will lose, maybe not as fast as on a crash diet, but they are much more likely to lose PERMANENTLY!!

9. Be sure to eat enough PROTEIN, and GOOD FATS (Nuts, Avocados, Fish oil/ Omega 3's). The protein will keep your body from consuming muscle to survive, and the fats will help you feel satisfied and avoid the "hungries."

10. Don't use a screw up as an excuse for "falling off the wagon" for the entire day, or week, or month. "I ate a bunch of cookies, so that makes me a failure, therefore, l will eat an entire pizza!!" Hey while I am at it, lets get a burger a fries and a milkshake for lunch tomorrow!!"

And on a related note, remember "FOOD is intended as FUEL." --NOT a source of comfort. Think of it in those terms, and find other ways to satisfy your emotional needs and you will succeed in the long run.
  • Shy1979
    Shy1979 Posts: 75
    Options
    I got this from the dr. oz website, and really like it, so I thought I would share! The link to the site where I found this, is above my post. I'm glad most of you enjoyed it, like I did! I looked at it more of a funny way to give us some ideas, like the snacking or even the small bills! Thanks for all the replies!