Acne- What foods to cut

Options
2»

Replies

• rayyesnk
    rayyesnk Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    anything going on with your body is affected by diet, including acne!
    I stopped eating dairy and my acne cleared up. (Stopped eating cheese but I eat yogurt because of the live cultures).
    Also, my nutritionist/acupuncturist says to avoid peanut butter (which I don't usually eat anyway).

I'd recommend these for normal/ mild acne. If you have a serious/ unique problem like cystic acne, you might need accutane (which I had to take when I was 17) so consult your dermatologist. But if it's just normal acne -- I'd say cut down on dairy, sugars (esp. refined sugars) and processed foods.
  • Beautifulsoull
    Options
    Once I started eating more fresh fruits and veggies my face cleared up and now I only have a few break outs here and there but nothing like it use to be. The more good foods you put in your body the more your body will thank you. If you are eating healthier foods then maybe you need to go see someone about it.
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, pretty sure doctors are wrong when they say diet has nothing to do with acne. I've had horrible cystic acne since I was 13. I've been under dermatologist care since then. I've tried everything.....including Accutane. It is pretty harsh but it does clear up the acne for a few years. About 4 years after I took it I started breaking out again. It's not a permanent fix for everyone. My derm put me on a drug called spironolactone and it's done wonders for my skin. My type of acne is mainly cause by out of whack testosterone (that's why teens and people using 'roids get acne). The spironolactone controls the androgens (testosterone precursors) and keeps me from getting oily and breaking out. Birth control did nothing for me. Spironolactone is a generic and I'm pretty sure it's one of the $4 or $5 drugs that you can get at most pharmacies. Might be worth talking to a derm about.

As for diet, sugar is a huge trigger for me. I still break out if my sugar intake is high
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, pretty sure doctors are wrong when they say diet has nothing to do with acne. I've had horrible cystic acne since I was 13. I've been under dermatologist care since then. I've tried everything.....including Accutane. It is pretty harsh but it does clear up the acne for a few years. About 4 years after I took it I started breaking out again. It's not a permanent fix for everyone. My derm put me on a drug called spironolactone and it's done wonders for my skin. My type of acne is mainly cause by out of whack testosterone (that's why teens and people using 'roids get acne). The spironolactone controls the androgens (testosterone precursors) and keeps me from getting oily and breaking out. Birth control did nothing for me. Spironolactone is a generic and I'm pretty sure it's one of the $4 or $5 drugs that you can get at most pharmacies. Might be worth talking to a derm about.

As for diet, sugar is a huge trigger for me. I still break out if my sugar intake is high

doctors have no understanding of nutrition on the whole.

diet has everything to do with acne.
  • cmodre
    cmodre Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    try cutting back on dairy and use Acne free
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options

doctors have no understanding of nutrition on the whole.

Tell that to my broken out face after eating better than I ever have but switching birth control methods.

Yes, diet is important for many things and a necessary foundation for overall health. But saying that it has everything to do with acne is quite misinformed. Like it's been said, different types/causes of acne out there.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    birth control is the only thing that has ever cleared up my acne (I'm 24 and have had it since about 12.) If you break out off to the sides of your chin, below the lip area, that is a sign that your acne is hormonal and that a trip to the derm is your best bet.

As for diet, I know nothing about nutrition and the skin, but I DO know that when I eat something greasy or salty or icky there may be a light residue on my hands, and when I'm reading or doing work I ALWAYS seem to touch my face- this most definitely does not help.

Drinking loads of water will improve skin all around!!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Hormones play a HUGE role in acne. Diet can play a role in certain outbreaks, certain kinds, etc., definitely. But increased testosterone, androgen, the natural fluctuation of estrogen in menstruating females, etc. are responsible for a large portion of acne in acne-sufferers.
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options

Hormones play a HUGE role in acne. Diet can play a role in certain outbreaks, certain kinds, etc., definitely. But increased testosterone, androgen, the natural fluctuation of estrogen in menstruating females, etc. are responsible for a large portion of acne in acne-sufferers.

YOU SO SMART!!! :love: :love: :love:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

YOU SO SMART!!! :love: :love: :love:

NO YOU ARE :blushing: :blushing: :blushing: