Trying to figure this out once and for all

Many people have seen me complain about this on the forum -- but I need to figure it out finally so I can stop making topics. I just want to feel like I understand!! :D

Been struggling with caloric intake since Ive STARTED :(
I've been using the Scooby Site to calculate my TDEE. ( http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ )
As you can see, this site runs off a hourly a week basis for exercise.

My exercise for the week consists of:
- 30 Day Shred once a day ( After that I will be moving onto the ZCut program )
- 20 minute or less casual walk, maybe more maybe less.
- 3 days a week at the gym anywhere from 30 minutes - an hour.
- Maybe once a month I will go hiking, sometimes not.

Some days, though, it can just be the 30 day shred program. But not often!

KEEP in MIND, when I am not doing these activities I am VERY sedentary -- sitting on the couch, or at the computer, not budging unless its to pee or go downstairs for a drink.

I have been listing my exercise on the site as active, 1 - 3 hours, ending up with around 1,600 calories for my TDEE.
I have been eating this for about 4 weeks now, and I have lost my initial water weight that comes off quickly when starting these things, but the scale as been stuck around 158.8 - 159. Sometimes it goes down maybe .1lb. ( Started at 167 - 168 )
( And yes, my measurements are the same, and my clothes fit the same. )

I am wondering if I am not eating enough calories, and I should up my intake to 1,700 - 1,800 as moderate exercise??

I'm a bit apprehensive because when Im not losing on this, it makes you afraid to go up. I also dont eat necessarily clean, but I find myself still only at 1,300 calories by 10pm, so going up makes me feel like eating is a chore, haha.

I'm not trying to rush this, and I know it takes my body to adjust & sometimes I will lose, sometimes I wont, and sometimes I will gain -- but Id really like to feel comfortable knowing what number calories to use as a guideline.

Replies

• Ibarra951
    Ibarra951 Posts: 19 Member
    I am where you are at as well. I'm afraid of upping my calories due to the fact that my calorie allowance is already somewhat low. I too sit at a desk all day, at home and at work. But when I workout (which is about 5-6 days a week for at least 1 hour 30 minutes) it's fairly rigorous and intense.

What i'm wondering is, you said you came up with 1,600 calories for your TDEE. Is this the calorie level you are eating at? If so it sounds like your eating at maintenance level. Correct me if i'm wrong.

If your current caloric intake has plateud your fat loss / weight loss, than you could up/decrease your calories for a week or so and see where that gets you. Just minor changes, maybe 200 calories up or down. If your tracking your macro-nutrients, alter your carbs and keep about a 1-1.5g protein / lb of body fat and keep your fats pretty low. You could also shake up your workouts too, maybe your body has adjusted to your habits. Shake it up a bit, add some cardio or change your rep ranges. Just my two cents.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    You can do all the sums and calculations you like, but really the prof of the pudding is in the eating, excuse the metaphor!

I'd stick with 1600 for another 4 weeks and then see what happens. Your exercise routine doesn't sound overly demanding ( don't know hat you're doing at the gym though)
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    I am where you are at as well. I'm afraid of upping my calories due to the fact that my calorie allowance is already somewhat low. I too sit at a desk all day, at home and at work. But when I workout (which is about 5-6 days a week for at least 1 hour 30 minutes) it's fairly rigorous and intense.

What i'm wondering is, you said you came up with 1,600 calories for your TDEE. Is this the calorie level you are eating at? If so it sounds like your eating at maintenance level. Correct me if i'm wrong.

If your current caloric intake has plateud your fat loss / weight loss, than you could up/decrease your calories for a week or so and see where that gets you. Just minor changes, maybe 200 calories up or down. If your tracking your macro-nutrients, alter your carbs and keep about a 1-1.5g protein / lb of body fat and keep your fats pretty low. You could also shake up your workouts too, maybe your body has adjusted to your habits. Shake it up a bit, add some cardio or change your rep ranges. Just my two cents.

The 1,600 is with -20% taken off my TDEE. So I dont believe its maintenance.
    I never do the same exercises, except with 30 day shred and even thats only 10 days at a time per level, I always use a different machine at the gym when I go.
    You can do all the sums and calculations you like, but really the prof of the pudding is in the eating, excuse the metaphor!

I'd stick with 1600 for another 4 weeks and then see what happens. Your exercise routine doesn't sound overly demanding ( don't know hat you're doing at the gym though)

At the gym it depends.
    I either do 30 minutes on the bikes, 15 minutes on the elliptical and then 10 minutes on the treadmill.
    Or I do 10 minutes on each then use the arm and leg machines.
    Or Ive done 30 minutes on the bikes, 30 minutes on the elliptical and the ab machines.

It really depends, but im always there around 45 minutes to an hour generally.
    I was thinking to try to stick out the 1,600 for longer, but I get so confused with what my activity level is.
    I just really want to be successful.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    I do some form of exercise every day, usually 30DS, but sometimes I switch it up with yoga or other Jillian programs. I net around 1400 cals a day, but I usually eat around 1700. My weight was stuck for a couple of weeks and hovering within 2 lbs, but I didn't want to up my calories immediately since I'm still eating above my BMR. I typically drink a fair amount of water (around 2 liters a day), but I've read several times on the forums that flushing your system with water can help. The past 3 days I've been drinking 3+ liters of water, and I'm noticing my weight starting to drop again. It could just be a coincidence, but it's worth a try!
  • Makoce
    I do some form of exercise every day, usually 30DS, but sometimes I switch it up with yoga or other Jillian programs. I net around 1400 cals a day, but I usually eat around 1700. My weight was stuck for a couple of weeks and hovering within 2 lbs, but I didn't want to up my calories immediately since I'm still eating above my BMR. I typically drink a fair amount of water (around 2 liters a day), but I've read several times on the forums that flushing your system with water can help. The past 3 days I've been drinking 3+ liters of water, and I'm noticing my weight starting to drop again. It could just be a coincidence, but it's worth a try!

Ill try pounding down the water, thanks!
  • If you're very sedentary most of the day, you should list yourself at that, not "active" in MFP. That will affect how many calories you're supposed to take in.
  • Makoce
    If you're very sedentary most of the day, you should list yourself at that, not "active" in MFP. That will affect how many calories you're supposed to take in.

I dont follow the MFP guidelines, though.
    I manually put the 1,600 into my diary intake from my settings after using the scooby site to calculate my TDEE.
  • psfr
    psfr Posts: 25 Member
    I wonder if you're recording your food intake accurately. Most people (even professional dieticians!) underestimate the amount of food they've portioned out. Do you weight/measure your food or just eyeball it?
    You say by 10pm you've only hit 1300 calories, and this seems very low if you're working out daily and not necessarily eating whole foods. If you're not hungry, maybe you're actually consuming more than you think.
  • Makoce
    I wonder if you're recording your food intake accurately. Most people (even professional dieticians!) underestimate the amount of food they've portioned out. Do you weight/measure your food or just eyeball it?
    You say by 10pm you've only hit 1300 calories, and this seems very low if you're working out daily and not necessarily eating whole foods. If you're not hungry, maybe you're actually consuming more than you think.

It depends. Sometimes, I use a scale that measures ounces. It is NOT a food scale, but it works.
    Other than that, I use measuring cups which I know are not always accurate.
    Sometimes, if I am unsure I over-estimate the serving size to be safe.
    The rest of the time I eyeball things, and hope that the foods that dont have labels to scan that I have to find in the MFP directory are close to accurate.

My diary is public.
    It could just be because I wake up late ( between 11am - 1pm sometimes ) so by the time its 10pm, if i had been up earlier id be more near my goal.
  • Bump! I could use some help in this category
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    I always prefer simplicity, therefore, I favor this simple little calculator
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Your activity level is moderate to heavy.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Reset your activity level to "sedentary" and eat back most of your exercise cals (provided you have your MFP set to lose 1lb per week, which is the most sustainable and healthy way) and see what your calorie goal is then.

And for some ppl it's not just cals in and cals out but the quality of calories. If you're eating a lot of slop, whether or not your under your calorie goal doesn't matter...eating slop WILL slow progress!

Also, you're doing the same thing I did...your own little hodge-podge of workouts. While it's great you're moving, there's something to be said for getting a trainer or following a set program that delivers results. Once I started doing that, I saw results like I never have before!
  • Makoce

I got 2,384 for moderate activity, which with the -20% deduction would be 1,907 right?
    Reset your activity level to "sedentary" and eat back most of your exercise cals (provided you have your MFP set to lose 1lb per week, which is the most sustainable and healthy way) and see what your calorie goal is then.

And for some ppl it's not just cals in and cals out but the quality of calories. If you're eating a lot of slop, whether or not your under your calorie goal doesn't matter...eating slop WILL slow progress!

Also, you're doing the same thing I did...your own little hodge-podge of workouts. While it's great you're moving, there's something to be said for getting a trainer or following a set program that delivers results. Once I started doing that, I saw results like I never have before!

I've posted a few topics about this.
    I live at home, unemployed, no money.
    My parents DO NOT support my weight loss for whatever reason, and buy cakes, processed garbage, chips, candies, etc. and barely any fruit or vegetables.
    What is in my diary is the absolute healthiest stuff in my house, and its still not that good.
    I make due with what I have unfortunately :(
    Ive looked for a job for the past year, and I live so rural that no one is hiring.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    If your activity and exercise is sporadic and varies from week to week wouldn't the MFP way of setting activity level to sedentary and eating back exercise fit you better?

That's what I've done - custom set my goal and eat back depending on how much exercise I fit in. You seem to be making things over-complicated if you don't mind me saying!
  • Makoce
    If your activity and exercise is sporadic and varies from week to week wouldn't the MFP way of setting activity level to sedentary and eating back exercise fit you better?

That's what I've done - custom set my goal and eat back depending on how much exercise I fit in. You seem to be making things over-complicated if you don't mind me saying!

I defiantly am!
    Though then comes to the complication of trying to guesstimate based on MFPs dramatic calorie results for exercise since 70$ for a HRM is way out of my league.
  • taso42

I got 2,384 for moderate activity, which with the -20% deduction would be 1,907 right?

Yep that's right (and it sounds about right too). You can add 100 or 200 calories a week and ramp up to that level, then stick to it as closely as you can for say about 4-6 weeks or so, then re-*kitten*.
  • Makoce
    So I need more than Im eating? Sounds so scary, haha.
  • lol no it doesn't, you are working out moderate to heavy and maybe JUST maybe you are doing too much or too many times a week. Why not try this just to see if maybe your over stressing your muscles.

Eat around 1500 and either less intensity of workouts or less often during the week. Ya might need to let your muscles have a rest day or two.
  • taso42

That's what they all say. :laugh:

Don't worry. Have faith in the system. :smile:
  • Makoce

That's what they all say. :laugh:

Don't worry. Have faith in the system. :smile:

Im just nervous because I think I was eating around 1,900 - 2,000 calories a day when I was gaining weight