Getting in over 2K calories/day

Options
How do you guys get in 2,000+ calories a day? I'm finding it pretty difficult to eat 2,000 calories (while staying within my macros) without feeling like I'm just eating alll day long.

Some days I'm so busy that I forget to eat. Other days, I just don't feel that hungry.
I guess this means my metabolism is in a pretty horrible state?

Anyone doing this on a regular basis have some tips? Insight?

(Also, if you're curious as to how I determined I need to eat just a little over 2,000 calories a day, I used the ever-so-helpful helloitsdan's methods.)

Replies

• Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I honestly can't imagine having trouble getting to 2K calories. If I eat as I wish I generally end up between 2500 and 3000.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I eat around 2,150 calories per day to lose 1 Lb per week. My diary is open. Just more calorie dense foods that are also nutrient dense. Cooking with olive oil helps...nuts (1 oz of my favorite mixed nuts have abut 260 calories...1 oz isn't even a handful). Avocados are also excellent and I eat "real" meals for my 3 squares. You have some calories left over, have some desert...I love ice cream.
  • zechks
    zechks Posts: 224
    Options
    pizza? lol

No seriously, if you're having a difficulty, try adding some healthy fats maybe? nuts or almonds are packed with calories. But make sure to hit the protein requirements, then just adjust your carbs or fats depending on your preference (just don't overdo both or you'll get too fat) :)
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I eat around 2,150 calories per day to lose 1 Lb per week. My diary is open. Just more calorie dense foods that are also nutrient dense. Cooking with olive oil helps...nuts (1 oz of my favorite mixed nuts have abut 260 calories...1 oz isn't even a handful). Avocados are also excellent and I eat "real" meals for my 3 squares. You have some calories left over, have some desert...I love ice cream.

This.

Calorically dense foods. Sweet potatoes, cheese, fatty cuts of meat, eggs, chocolate, nuts, avocado and - hell freaking yes - ice cream.

It's not that hard, really. I eat 2200kcal+ in three hours.
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Nuts and avocados, cooking with olive oil all sound great.

Do you guys stay under your macros with that stuff?

It's probably a good idea to check out some diaries for inspiration/ideas too. Hope you don't mind :P
  • missjeevious
    missjeevious Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    almonds, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, eggs, peanut butter, cheese, lentils, chicken, lean beef, salmon, olive oil- all those foods really help. I"m eating 2150-2250 and it is a part-time job. I eventually had to add in some protein powder each day to get the macros right i just couldn't get enough protein.
  • missjeevious
    missjeevious Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    if you care, i chose Only Protein powder after a lot of research!
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I do eat all day long :D

Edit: Okay, that wasn't very helpful. Eat more often. Eat all day. Just try it for a few days, your metabolism will get used to eating every 2-3 hours if that's what you give it.
  • kwilliams386
    kwilliams386 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I want to eat 2000 calories a day!!! :(
  • literatelier
    literatelier Posts: 209 Member
    Options

It's probably a good idea to check out some diaries for inspiration/ideas too. Hope you don't mind :P

If you stay under your calories, you can stay under your macros - it's just how you proportion them. Obviously 2000 cals of pasta will put you way over carbs/under protein, like 2000 cals of chicken will put you over on protein and under on carbs. You just need to find the balance that works for you.
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options

Maybe you should look into setting your macros differently......just a though. What MFP had me at automatically was no good for me. I had to up the protein and really reduce carbs, but I find it easy to stay within what I changed them to.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

It depends on your macros...mine are 40c/30p/30hf...I generally stay within my macros...if I'm short, it's usually on carbs. My diary is open
  • Zosimah
    Zosimah Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    How do you guys get in 2,000+ calories a day? I'm finding it pretty difficult to eat 2,000 calories (while staying within my macros) without feeling like I'm just eating all day long.

I feel you and I'm working through the same problems. I've eaten around 1000-1200 a day for about 5 years. Eating more is a really hard thing for me to do. I know it'll make me healthier to eat more, but that little voice in the back of my mind keeps telling me I don't really need to eat more. It's a struggle for sure! I'm easing my way way up. Trying to go from 1200 to 2400 in a day wasn't realistic for me. I've planed to start portioning out some healthy nuts as well as extra fruit during the day.

I know I didn't really help, but 'know that you aren't alone, crazy, weird, or odd because you have a hard time starting to eat in a way that's more healthy' (totally stole that from my doctor)
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    you can look at my diary if you'd like. i eat out of boredom so i like to just plan snacks throughout the day. as others said, look for the calorie dense foods. i'm trying really hard to work on meeting my macros...but it's not always easy, especially in the fat department.
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your tips! :)
    I look forward to getting all my cals in this coming week.