Eating disorders - this is a FITNESS site!

Options
I'm still really upset about the updates I'm seeing on this site... I was anorexic with bulimic tendencies from the time I was 12 to the time I was 15. I still struggle to eat enough now, but I'm definitely getting better. What I have learned is - - your body needs food... simple fact. If you don't have food, your body will not function to the best of its ability, and losing weight will become harder. Not to mention the toll it takes on your body. Your heart has to work much much harder than it should which will not be good (of course) in the long run. - starving, and throwing up is not the answer . Starving slows down your metabolism, which means when you do in fact reach your goal weight, and you start eating, you will gain all of it, and then some back. That's the sad truth that a lot of girls don't realize. Also, it's too late if you eat and purge... your body has already absorbed the bad stuff you're trying to get rid of by throwing up. So really you destroy your esophagus, and your teeth for nothing... The thing I'm trying to say is just please please take care of yourself. You will be far more proud when you reach your goal knowing that you did it the healthy way instead of doing it the other way. The results will be permanent, and you'll have accomplished something 70% of people can't... please take care of your bodies, girls!

Replies

• fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I am one who has struggled with this and I went from 250 pounds to 180 pounds. and I am doing very well getting this under control. I am an eating disordered success story. I like to help others who struggle with the same thing. mfp is about fitness but it also is about food. many come here for help who struggle with this wanting to get better. I know a lot of people who have an ed who don't cry out or want to get help. so the fact they are wanting help is fantastic.
  • 98by2014
    98by2014 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I battled with an EDNOS (I was overweight but starving myself and purging when I ate) for about two/three years and I've managed to stop doing that now but I still have some of "those" days. You know what I mean... It makes me so sad when I see people promoting EDs and it makes me sick to my stomach when I see "pro-ana" or "pro-Mia" sites. It's very triggering and makes me feel uncomfortable. I agree with everything you've said - it's really not worth it in the long run. This is why I've started to focus on eating more fruits and veg and less fat.

I ended up in the hospital one too many times to realise exactly why I shouldn't be starving myself.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I battled with an EDNOS (I was overweight but starving myself and purging when I ate) for about two/three years and I've managed to stop doing that now but I still have some of "those" days. You know what I mean... It makes me so sad when I see people promoting EDs and it makes me sick to my stomach when I see "pro-ana" or "pro-Mia" sites. It's very triggering and makes me feel uncomfortable. I agree with everything you've said - it's really not worth it in the long run. This is why I've started to focus on eating more fruits and veg and less fat.

I ended up in the hospital one too many times to realise exactly why I shouldn't be starving myself.

Wow. I had to Google the Pro-Mia thing. How scary!

I've also had eating disorder issues. I feel like I'm just too old to be all crazy like that and it's not healthy.
    This site has really helped me learn what is good for me. Eating properly.

I also get freaked out when I see people posting that they are going to eat 600 calories a day and so on. Even fasting freaks me out. And I am saddened when I see others struggling with the same things I have and do.
  • panano
    panano Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Edit: I'm not looking down upon people who have eating disorders because like I said, I have one... I am SO happy for the ones that come here for recovery (like I did!) But I go on some girls' profiles and their goals are "80 pounds, thigh gaps, so I can see my bones"
    My point is this site is about exercise, and yes, about food... it's really about setting a healthy lifestyle for yourself. If that made any sense...
  • panano
    panano Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing as you, and that's why I'm working towards losing weight now. I have my slip up days, as anyone would recovering from a disorder.