Going grocery shopping need help, on a budget?

Options
I need foods I can use to pack lunches for school, breakfasts, and preworkout snacks :)
I shop every weekend on a low budget so could someone give me example of the cheapest foods I can get that will last me through the week and preferably longer? :) thanks!

Replies

• MsCristie
    MsCristie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I switched from shopping at Safeway and Raley's to shopping for most at FoodMaxx. I do get a lot of fruit from the farmer's market and that isn't cheap. Check out the different stores near you to find the cheapest (but good quality). There are times if I do not like the quality at FoodMaxx I shop elsewhere. But chicken is so much cheaper! Buy in bulk when you can (if you can eat it).

Good luck. I look forward to the rest of the posts.
  • Vikkiiza
    Options
    I like buying the 100% whole wheat english muffins or wraps. Because there are several in a package they last a while. Half of a whole wheat english muffin with a little Egg Beater and a slice of Canadian bacon is one of my favorites. Things like the light Laughing Cow cheese (spreadable) on celery make an easy and good snack. Good luck!
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Shop the sales! There are some things I will buy every week, regardless, but usually I try and shop the sale at the local grocery store. Last week I got strawberries for $1.28 and they're usually $3.99!
  • HealthyNowForever
    HealthyNowForever Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Go to totallytarget.com and take advantage of the deals they have. Stock up when you can. I have been doing it for a month and I have 6 months worth of cereal, pasta, sauce, vitamin water, pizza, and other misc and have not spent any extra money this month.
  • RobinV_Seattle
    RobinV_Seattle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal - the real stuff, not the instant packets - is a great option for breakfast. Only 150 calories per serving and it sticks with you. Add some fresh or frozen fruit and you're still under 250 calories! It's also pretty inexpensive!

Bananas, cheese sticks, cottage cheese, higher-protein yogurts make good pre-workout snacks - easily digestable proteins with some carbs for the initial energy boost. Avacados are really inexpensive right now if you like those!

For lunch, if you're going for sandwiches, go for whole grain breads or wraps - not refined flour. More nutrional bang for your buck. Lean meats, pb&j, chicken or tuna salad - you can actually slow-cook and shred your own chicken for that pretty easily - baby carrots, apples, seasonal fruits...

Or, make bigger batches at dinner or on the weekends and take leftovers. If you have a crock-pot, you can make some great soups with chicken, veggies and barley/lentils/whole grain rice that are inexpensive, low-cal, healthy and filling! Not sure if that will work for school lunches, but it could be a great and easy dinner option for the family!
  • kmk_natasha
    Options
    Check various local stores to find what's cheapest, also make sure you are checking their weekly sales, and use coupons when you can. I have found that produce at Sprouts is often very cheap. Lots of sales every week. Kroger is my main store, they have an app that shows me weekly sales, allows me to make lists, and load coupons on to my shopping card. They even offer me personal prices on some items. It's like a coupon on my card that I can use as many times as I want all month long.
  • impccrazy60
    Options
    :love: go to hungrygirl.com and will give cool snacks and budget ideas. and go to the groceries stores websites, and pull down recipes on a budget and bag lunches. mr foods through the nbc.29 site or Krogers has good sites, food network also, google lunches on bugets.
    betty crocker and krafts sites.
  • glynda66
    glynda66 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Walmart IS the cheapest...however...everytime I leave that store I feel like Im on the verge of a meltdown because it is ALWAYS so busy!
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Hummus and whole wheat pita and veggies to dip

Tuna salad in a pita with shredded veggies.
    Eggs for egg salad with veggies

For veggies, cabbage is cheap and stores well. Shred what you need. You can make a pickle with cider vinegar, or a non-creamy coleslaw type salad with whatever dressing you choose. I make my own dressing shaking oil and vinegar and seasonings together in a jar, and its a lot cheaper than purchased.

I do best when I have leftovers from dinner to take. Last night I made homemade taco meat and "refried" canned black beans by heating them in a skillet and mashing them with a potato masher. Had that as burritos with lots of added veggies and guac. There was plenty for me to have another wrap today -- I took the fillings separately, warmed them up in the work microwave and assembled. But it would have been fine cold.

Soups are very cheap homemade - you can make a big batch and then decant it into a thermos or screw-top container every morning. I like to do split pea with lots of veggies -- celery root and carrots and leek and turnips. It's got a decent amount of protein to see me through the day. Lentil soups are also really easy to make, cheap, and satisfying for winter work lunches.

WHenever I cook pieces of meat -- chicken breasts, pork chops, etc -- I always cook an extra one or two for lunches. Idon't just eat them whole - I slice them thinly and use them in wraps or on salads of various sorts. If i'm going to marinate a bunch of meat, I might as well do extra and get some extra meals out of the same amount of work.