Consistent calf cramps

Options
I've read a couple of posts on this topic but am not finding a great answer. I've been SLOWLY doing a c25k program. Sow like.....I should be done by now and am just starting week 5 because of persistent calf cramps.

I do a warm up walk, I don't push myself too far and tend to stop as soon as my calves start to seize. I stretch afterwards. I'm hydrated as I drink 64-120 ounces of water a day.

What else do you suggest? It's holding me back because I have to wait almost 3-4 days for my calves to recover so I can "jog" again. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    bump
  • greatmom2
    greatmom2 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I know in the past when I have gotten extra potassium such as from eating bananas or taking a multivitamin that provided my potassium, the cramps would let up.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Is it the back of your calves or the sides?

I sometimes feel like the sides are on fire, but it actually seems to subside quicker if I walk through it. Of course, when you are over a mile from the car, there isn't much choice!

Add stretching in after the warm up and when you stop - be very careful of stretching while cramping, though.

I would also second the potassium. It is hard to track because it isn't required on nutrition labels, so there are a few high potassium foods, like Greek yogurt, that don't list it at all. As the previous poster said, bananas are the stand by.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I know in the past when I have gotten extra potassium such as from eating bananas or taking a multivitamin that provided my potassium, the cramps would let up.

I get all kinds of muscle cramps because of nerve damage in my legs from disk problems. Potassium makes a huge difference. Bananas, dried apricots, baked potatoes with skin on, lima beans, tomato sauce are some foods that come to mind that have a lot of potassium in them. There are lists you can google to find that will help you to add more. Magnesium is also really helpful - I buy a magnesium chloride spray I can spray directly on the cramp that will relieve it quickly (I get it on amazon) but it can be irritating to the skin. Epsom salt soaks are another good way to get the magnesium. I have soaked my legs up to mid-calf by using a bucket of warm water and Epsom salts when my calves or feet are particularly crampy and I don't have the time or inclination to actually sit in the bath.
  • sum1serin
    sum1serin Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Is it the back of your calves or the sides?

It typically has been directly behind but the last time I did a walk and very short jog the pain wrapped around and almost started to feel like a shin splint plus calf cramp. The thing that throws me is that I have gotten no Charlie horses at night so at least i can be thankful for that.

I have started taking a magnesium supplement but may start doing a prenatal since that typically has all the necessary vitamins. I may have to check into that spray. I guess if all else fails a visit to the doctor and blood panel may be a necessity.
  • stormydaze_02
    stormydaze_02 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Worth having it checked out by your doctor if it's a new thing. Sounds like you are drinking enough and stretching.

Postassium rich foods, plus a Calcium & Magnesium supplement should help
  • Scott15Fit
    Options
    You could try taking a pause on your running and building up the strength of your calf muscles first as well as the flexibility.
    Have a look here: http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/14790350/calf-cramps-physioadvisor.htm

Edit: That's what I'm currently doing for shin pain.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I wonder also if it's not just poor shoes? Running shoes are tricky things. If you weren't fitted at a running shoe store, where they check you stride, pronation, arch, etc., this would be worth looking into.
  • elnavigator
    elnavigator Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would agree with potassium intake before running, make sure you are drinking your water through out the day to keep hydrated and I would probably drink sports drink like gatorade with electrolytes it helps me when playing tournaments I used to cramp during matches, no more
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I wonder also if it's not just poor shoes? Running shoes are tricky things. If you weren't fitted at a running shoe store, where they check you stride, pronation, arch, etc., this would be worth looking into.

This
  • rkleine74
    Options
    I had the same problem with dancing, and the instructor recommended a potassium supplement. It made a huge difference!
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Get fitted for proper running shoes. That could be the problem. Also, check this out and see if it helps: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/01/09/warm-up/ Another friend posted this and my hubby's been using it and its helped his calf from cramping up.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I get horrible leg cramps, calf & thigh, especially at night and the only thing that has seemed to help me is magnesium & coconut water. Of course this is barring a medical issue or bad shoes.
  • llangstraat
    llangstraat Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Potassium and Magnesium both work wonders in my experience.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Please OP, do not start taking pills/vitamins just cause others say to. That may only lead to some other issues.
  • beanerific518
    Options
    I used to get this when I first started exercising by taking daily walks. I would get a few minutes into a walk and it felt like my lower leg would just seize up. I would have to pause and stretch my calf muscle just to keep on going because it felt like my foot was going numb. By the end of the walk, my leg would start to feel better.

This stopped happening the more fit I became. Now I can walk and run without any pain. You will get there, just take it slow and be persistent.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    if you're sure you're shoes are correct then i'd go with something off with your hydration. keeping hydrating when you consistently workout is more than just water. you need electrolytes.

i eat a banana or drink coconut water after a hard workout and i no longer get cramps or weird muscle twitches
  • sum1serin
    sum1serin Posts: 32 Member
    Options

I actually went to get fitted for running shoes the other day after I had been doing my c25k training in Vibrams. The running store did the whole nonsense and then basically couldn't suggest a better shoe for me as I'm a neutral runner and have the right form. I was kind of looking for another shoe that had just a little bit more cushion but still a minimalist shoe as shoes with lots of cushion make me roll my ankles. But the problem we encountered was finding pairs that were offered in wide. My vibrams fit my wide foot just fabulous. I know I could work on not landing on my heels which is something that has come to my attention, but I don't think it's the shoes.

I grabbed some Gatorade powder to put in my water for my workouts in hopes that it may be electrolyte imbalance so I do have things on hand to make small adjustments and see what helps. If this continued, I was going to focus on strength training in the meantime.

I still appreciate all of your thoughts and ideas. Bananas go bad so fast here so I may just snag a supplement for the potassium.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options

I actually went to get fitted for running shoes the other day after I had been doing my c25k training in Vibrams. The running store did the whole nonsense and then basically couldn't suggest a better shoe for me as I'm a neutral runner and have the right form. I was kind of looking for another shoe that had just a little bit more cushion but still a minimalist shoe as shoes with lots of cushion make me roll my ankles. But the problem we encountered was finding pairs that were offered in wide. My vibrams fit my wide foot just fabulous. I know I could work on not landing on my heels which is something that has come to my attention, but I don't think it's the shoes.

I grabbed some Gatorade powder to put in my water for my workouts in hopes that it may be electrolyte imbalance so I do have things on hand to make small adjustments and see what helps. If this continued, I was going to focus on strength training in the meantime.

I still appreciate all of your thoughts and ideas. Bananas go bad so fast here so I may just snag a supplement for the potassium.

I had the exact same issue with shoes. I have wide feet & weak ankles and any of the shoes with a bigger heal, lots of cushion, I would constantly roll my ankles. On the other hand I couldn't do the Vibrams or Merrels for barefoot running, they were too hard on my legs & feet. I actually started wearing Reebok Flex and I love them!! just the right amount of cushion & so comfy!!
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I read the first couple posts, but it sounds like something a friend of mine in track had. She would stretch, then walk, the stretch vigorously (pushing herself pretty hard) then do the exercise. Afterwards she would stretch again and use a roller on her calves and then ice at night, which heals up the muscles.