4th time's a charm?

I have tried to use this app 3 other times since summer of 2011. At that time I was around 170 and looking to maintain that weight. Fast forward to January 2013...I'm at a gorgeous 214 lbs. Obviously I failed somewhere along the way. The only way I've ever known how to lose weight was to crash diet...starvation leading to anorexia and then finally binge eating a year or 2 later until I'm huge again. I'm almost 37 and I'm sick of it. I was up to 227 a month ago and my doc prescribed me phentermine. I didn't take it. One of my kids got me sick a couple weeks later with some kind of stomach virus and 2 days later I was down to 220. I jumped on this opportunity and began taking the phentermine and starving myself as usual. The pill made me feel like I was on speed big time and I hated it but I wasn't hungry. I got down to 210 as of last week but was really weak. I decided to start eating protein and greens to combat this and everyday started slowly gaining, even though I was eating less than 300 calories a day. I got back up to 212 and realized this wasn't working. I began doing research about why and learned about BMR and AMR and here I am back on MFP one more time trying to do it the slow and healthy way. I guess my question is...will it really work? I mean to someone like me who knows NOTHING about fitness and proper weight loss it sounds so backwards...eat MORE to lose MORE...huh? But 150 thousand people indirectly screaming at me about doing it this way can't be wrong right? Any help would be great...thanks!!!

PS. I stopped taking the pills after 1 week.

Replies

• well...don't think anybody ever read this but if they ever do, it works. Down to 198 six weeks after I wrote this post.
  • that is awesome...i just started my journey yesterday...today my legs HUUUUURRRRRTTTTT...but it will be all worth it..
  • Awesome work! We humans are a work in progress and perfection just isn't guaranteed and is impossible. Fantastic that you are continuing to work at it! Never give up.
  • You can do it!
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Hey, I just recently joined this site myself. And now that I read your older post and the update, just wanted to say you're doing great and have proven you've found a way to lose those pounds in a healthy and realistic way. Wishing you complete success and good health!
  • Good luck with your weight loss journey! I somewhat agree with the eat more, weigh less.. I guess for me, it's about eating more healthier snacks.. especially at work :( So I will be making a trip to the grocery store this weekend to pick up some healthier snacks to take with me to work. I want to maintain my current weight (maybe 4 lbs less if I can to give me some wiggle room when I want to treat myself) and have a healthier eating lifestyle. MFP has helped me last year, and look forward to a great ending this year as well!
  • thx for all the positive comments! I hope everybody gets to where they wanna be. I just thought I would say a little about what I've been doing so far to try and help anyone that needs it.

First find your AMR from an online calorie calculator....THIS IS IMPORTANT!!! I used this one... http://nutrition.about.com/od/changeyourdiet/a/calguide.htm

Next just follow the calorie deficit for the amount of weight you want to lose, with -1000 calories being your limit. I recommend just doing like -500 to start or you might give up from being too hungry...which is what I always used to do. I have been on a -1000 calorie deficit for almost 2 months now and as of this morning have lost 23 lbs ONLY doing this diet. I don't watch carbs or low fat or high protein or any of that. I eat what I want, I just eat ALOT less of it. TBH I eat alot of lean cuisines just because they're easy to calculate and easy to fix. I haven't started working out yet cause I don't want to have to eat more to compensate. I can't say this is gonna work for everybody but I know it works for me. I wish all of you the best and hope you beat the weight! Don't let it determine your life or control your self image anymore!!!!!

PS. I ran cross this website about a month after I started this diet by accident and it totally confirmed what I was doing...it may be helpful to some. http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/how-to-lose-fat/ It's all truth and I'm proof that it works.
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    You're doing great with your weight loss journey so far!

I just found the site, and am just starting, but I think it will be just what I need to get myself to a healthy place.