Self - Sabatoge... has this happend to you?

Hey MFPs

I do really well until the scale reads below 200lbs... then I just FIND AN EXCUSE TO EAT CRAP!!! And not work out!!!

I'm so frustrated. I know that it is all in my head or SOMETHING, but I still continue to fail. I have dance between 203 and 199 lbs for three weeks now and I'm sick of it!

Anyone have a similar experience and/or advise?? I need to do something!!

Replies

• briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    This happens all the time to me. It is caused by a mental block, lol. I get below and reward with food. Actually the best way to push through it is to first evaluate your calorie deficiency and if you can afford it eat at 1 pound deficient for a while and then slowly drop from that, but also stay off the scale for 2 weeks to break through the scale images. I have to do that this week. I have to stay off the scale until next Friday so that I don't over eat. Good luck and know you aren't alone.
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Did you set yourself a goal of getting under 200? If you did even it being a mini goal your mind is like yah we are done. Remember it has to become a lifestyle instead of a diet so even when you get to goal you are going to eat healthy. It's all in the mind. Good luck x
  • Heatherdawnxoxo
    Heatherdawnxoxo Posts: 60 Member
    ugh ...i know exactly what you mean. i've been fluctuating between 196-199 for weeeeeeks!!! and it's driving me crazy but yet, i still find myself walking into the store and buying junk to shove in my trap ...all the while very much aware and even acknowledging in my head that i'm not hungry and eating this stuff wont get me anywhere ...but i just dont know how to stop myself.
    it's definitely something mental.
    i wish i knew how to get over it. i need a little shoulder angel to ***** slap me.
  • rai8759
    rai8759 Posts: 296 Member
    Wow thanks you guys. These are all great ideas and support. I think I have set under 200 as a mini goal and am "going back off my diet". I know this is a lifestyle change, and I have a lot more to lose!! I think I will take a break from the scale, but not from mfp or exercise (when I take a break from the scale sometimes I take a break from those too!! Can't do it!!!)

I am already eating at "lose one lb a week", but I have tweeked it so that I can eat more when I work (I work 2 or 3 12 hour shifts overnight per week). I will look at upping my calories during the week. I am mighty hungry at the end of the day!! That is often what trips me up!

Also.. I have the same feeling. Buying or shoving food in my mouth and I'm thinking, "what am i doing?! I don't need this?!! I do not want to do this!!!!" I think the above tips will help me, but I would also like a slap-happy shoulder angle... tee hee.

More tips and similar experiences welcome!
  • that last part about..hungry after work. Are you sure you are hungry and not extremely thirsty for *water*? I hate water but,I do find this when I am supposedly hungry : drink a huge bottle of water and wait for a little bit,I'm not nearly as hungry. try that if you want. I only do it at night though. I am rarely hungry until then..I am trying to switch my mind around about when it's actually hungry.As I never feeling very hungry enough to cook until after 3pm. That is very bad for me. Anyway,I hope it helps.:wink:
  • I hit my first of many goals, to weigh less than the posted top weight on my home scale. It tops out at 330 pounds (it will actually read up to about 336) I hit 329 and was craving something sweet and chocolate, it was brownies. Well being a guy and single I decide to just go and buy some premade from the grocery store, they are delicious and I have no idea on calories, well they were out so I'm looking at the carrot cake and figure why not, but since it wasn't chocolate I grab a thing of red velvet cupcakes. I ate it all :-(

I'll still come in under my calories for the week but man that one day really sucked. Not only did I eat a ton of crap, but it left me hungry and without energy as well
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    People kept giving me lollies and chocolate this week and last week. I don't want to throw it out, but I don't want to look at it. I just want to get rid of it somehow (and this usually means eating it). This week alone, I managed to get through a jar of marshmallow spread, chocolate spread, 4 x 250 g bars of chocoate, a bag of mini creme eggs, a bag of marshmallows and more!! I didn't eat ALL of that. But I ate a large proportion, made lots of it into recipes, and threw a lot of stuff out cause I just didn't want to see it anymore. Sometimes, I just have to throw junk out so I won't eat it.
  • rai8759
    rai8759 Posts: 296 Member
    I think I really need to pay more attention to my thirst. I have found that I do often think thirst is hunger.

AND i need to THROW THE JUNK AWAY!

I still have a bunch in my house from my daughter's birthday party... in fact i just at TWO SUGAR COOKIES! ugh... not a great choice

I plan on bringing everything to work tonight and letting everyone FEAST. Let everyone else eat all the cake and cookies and crap I don't want to.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    People kept giving me lollies and chocolate this week and last week. I don't want to throw it out, but I don't want to look at it. I just want to get rid of it somehow (and this usually means eating it). This week alone, I managed to get through a jar of marshmallow spread, chocolate spread, 4 x 250 g bars of chocoate, a bag of mini creme eggs, a bag of marshmallows and more!! I didn't eat ALL of that. But I ate a large proportion, made lots of it into recipes, and threw a lot of stuff out cause I just didn't want to see it anymore. Sometimes, I just have to throw junk out so I won't eat it.
    Oh, your post helped me so much because I was way out of control also this week. Was ther something in the air? We can do this. We just have to help each other along the way. I'm sorry you went thru this, too but glad I'm not alone. Also, I've been dancing around this 200 lb.wall since the end of December.