How do you drink your coffee?

Options

Replies

• Thaedra
    Thaedra Posts: 52
    Options
    I tried stevia and soy milk but I don't like the aftertaste from sweeteners like that. I only drink a cup a day (if that) so I splurge a little on Coffee Mate fat free hazelnut creamer. 2 tbs=50 calories and 8g sugar and it's totally worth it!
  • beccasetsfire
    beccasetsfire Posts: 135
    Options
    way too much splenda and some unsweetened vanilla almond breeze...

Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze only has 40cal a serving and tastes better than soy milk!
  • unknownndoll
    unknownndoll Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Iced Latte-

8 oz unsweetened vanilla almond breeze (40 calories)
    i think its 4 shots of espresso from starbucks espresso beans
    (its 1 full pot from my coffee mate espresso machine and it has lines 1-4 and I do 4)

occasionally i put 1/2 packet of stivia, but i dont seem to need it anymore
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    coffee mate fat free creamer (either French Vanilla of Hazelnut) 2 T per cup, 1 cup a day... 50 cals
  • crystalpistolball
    Options
    splash of skim milk and one splenda
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I have splenda. There's a lot of hype about the dangers of artificial sweeteners but I've yet to see any conclusive evidence that they are harmful in humans. So yep, still having my splenda and still recommending it to my patients.

Speaking of coffee though, I had a patient the other day who was having 10+ cups of tea/coffee per day and 3tsp of sugar in each! That's half a kg of fat worth of just that sugar every week! In the end, after much negotiation we agreed that she would either cut back the sugar amount or cut back the number of cups. Weight loss can always be a negotiation like this because as long as you are cutting stuff out, you should be losing. So you really just have to decide what works for you. (of course this doesn't fit in with following a strictly calorie controlled program like MFP, sorry!)
  • kintegra
    kintegra Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I add either the Coffeemate or International Delight liquid creamers....any of the SUGAR FREE ones (normally French Vanilla) it adds a lot of sweetness! and is only 15 calories per Tbsp! No sugar or artificial sweetner needed. :drinker:
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I have splenda. There's a lot of hype about the dangers of artificial sweeteners but I've yet to see any conclusive evidence that they are harmful in humans. So yep, still having my splenda and still recommending it to my patients.

Speaking of coffee though, I had a patient the other day who was having 10+ cups of tea/coffee per day and 3tsp of sugar in each! That's half a kg of fat worth of just that sugar every week! In the end, after much negotiation we agreed that she would either cut back the sugar amount or cut back the number of cups. Weight loss can always be a negotiation like this because as long as you are cutting stuff out, you should be losing. So you really just have to decide what works for you. (of course this doesn't fit in with following a strictly calorie controlled program like MFP, sorry!)

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/02/10/New-Study-of-Splenda-Reveals-Shocking-Information-About-Potential-Harmful-Effects.aspx
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    A tablespoon (sometimes a little more) of Coffee Mate low fat liquid creamer. I'm a junkie...
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    BLACK! Although I rarely drink coffee, and usually with dessert, so I'm getting the sugar from there and the black coffee is a delicious counterpoint. :) And when I say "black," I don't just mean "without sugar and cream." BREW IT STRONG, BABY!!

Black and Strong!!!! Just was talking with a co worker about this. I use two of the traditional "office packets" of coffee, or one of the starbucks ones we just got. If I do any kind of sweetness, it's some treat of a specialty coffee (Starbucks Dark Cherry Mocha:love: ) But the 2-3 cups I have each day have nothing but coffee in them!!
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Nothing in it.....just black!!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I don't drink coffee that often, usually only on weekends. I add some creamer to mine and that's it.
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Very strong, no milk, no sweetner.
    And I'm fussy--it has to be espresso or ground coffee. I only drink instant if I absolutely have to :)
  • jmathews
    jmathews Posts: 196
    Options
    ...has to be a bold roast with 1 Splenda, 2tsp powdered creamer and a splash of 1% milk. I just switched from liquid creamer to powdered...trying to eventually eliminate the creamer, can't give up Splenda, though.
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    (I grind my beans myself and use a French press.)

I either drink it Black $ Strong :tongue: or with some half n half.
    (I hate fake sweeteners of any kind and I used to do sugar but now I'd rather eat my calories than drink them.)

I love coffee.:drinker:
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options

As I said, no conclusive evidence. You can't take one study posted online and think of it as gospel. I could prove anything with a single study if that was how it worked (and indeed if you browse the web, you will find that!!). You need to assess the quality of the study. Unfortunately the link you have provided doesn't give me the ability to do that because it doesn't provide the methods of the study (I wonder why!!). What I can tell you, is the only evidence that I can agree with relating to sweeteners being bad is that they have been linked to craving sweet foods and also to the metabolic syndrome. Although, to be fair, while they have linked them to the metabolic syndrome they haven't assessed a chicken or egg scenario... ie. Do you think it's fair to say 'people who are overweight and at risk of metabolic syndrome anyway are the people more likely to consume sweeteners' as opposed to 'the sweeteners caused the metabolic syndrome'.

Of course, it doesn't hurt to not have these things just in case it is harmful. Unless of course you are replacing it with real sugar and having trouble losing weight. In which case, I would say there is a far greater documented danger from obesity than from artificial sweeteners.
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Coffee - Strong, black and no sugar/sweetener :smile:

Tea - Stong with just a very tiny splash of milk (scare the cow past the cup kinda tiny) just to colour it... My boyfriend calls it sludge!
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i gave up coffee at the outset of my diet on the advice of a rather thin dietician and i dont miss it--i had one cup a few weeks back and it gave me rather bad stomach ache so maybe i was intolerant but needed to de tox myself--i feel much healthier these days -before that i stopped drinking beer (and peanuts) in January and went on to coffee as a substitute -i didnt lose any weight until i put green tea and exercise into my effort.
  • jodi_bannister
    jodi_bannister Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have one cup of coffee just after I get up in the morning. :yawn: I used to have one or two sugars in it, but now I have it with just a splash of semi-skimmed milk. I am trying to cut back on the caffeine, so I have been mixing half decaf and half normal coffee.

I tried it with sugar again not long back and it was HORRIBLE!!! Too sweet first thing in the morning. :noway: Guess I am just sweet enough without it :blushing: :laugh:
  • Spicenshuga84
    Spicenshuga84 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have to have coffee in the morning and i like it strong but the stronger it is the more cream i have to put . So i try to get a medium roast and put 1 tbs fat free coffee mate and 1 splenda ... i also add benefiber and u really cant tell its in there. ive tried the splenda with fiber but it taste weird to me. I used to be an only suger in my coffee kinda gal but once i made up my mind and got used to the splenda, i cant stand sugar in coffee :) Drank some of my husbands and almost gagged it tasted ultra sweet even though there was maby only 2 tbs of sugar.