Counting calories vs. NOT counting calories

Options
I would like to hear from people who DON'T count calories and have had significant weight loss. What is your strategy and where did you start? I am for being mindful of the quality foods (eating unprocessed foods) and staying well hydrated. I find when I count calories that I hoard calories for "just in case" that I fall short many days of my minimum calorie goal.

Also I'm tired of having my mind so wrapped up in the calorie count that I miss much of what's going on around me. If you can help with your comment I'd like to hear from you.

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    There was two periods along my long weight decline where I lost at least 15 lbs and didn't count calories.

(1) for the first period (this was when I was over 200 lbs), I gave up ALL added sugar and trans fat. ALL OF IT. No HFCS, no cereals or breads with added sugars. NONE. ZERO. ZIP. No trans fats, no "hydrogenated" or "partially hydrogenated" anything. Basically, I gave up ALL foods that were calorie dense BUT nutrient poor.

(2) Later on, when I was closer to my goal, I ate raw foods only (well maybe at least 90% raw) for about 3 months. I enjoyed it and lost weight. (But I enjoy cooked foods too much to do that forever.)

The McDougall diet is an example of an All-You-Can-Eat diet, no calorie counting. But I wouldn't use this as a temporary diet. This is more of a vegan lifestyle change kind of diet (and of course he has some products and seminars to sell you.)
  • dogpeeps
    dogpeeps Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    WBB thanks for your input. I could easily go vegan or vegetarian if it wasn't for DH. I will check out the resources you have provided.
  • owlgoose
    Options
    You don't calorie count on slimming world and that tends to work for most people provided that they follow it correctly
  • dogpeeps
    Options
    Owl I'm not sure I understand your post. How are you losing your weight?
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I lost weight by not counting calories. The way I did it was pretty much eating clean. I would eat fresh fruits and veggies and lean meats. I had one day a week where I would "splurge" and eat less healthy that day. I picked Thursday as I went to school during the morning, than worked a few hours than went to a Police class that was a 45 minute drive away so I wasn't really home that day. That was the day I got Burger King for dinner as I used to love their chicken nuggets!

I also used my exercise bike for about 45-60 minutes each day. Thursday was my rest day where I didn't do any exercise outside of my normal routine.

I lost about 50lbs in just under a year.

The key is to make sure the majority of your diet is fresh, healthy foods. Treat yourself now and again but don't go huge. My main thing when I wasn't counting calories was to stop eating when I no longer felt hungry. Sometimes that was a plate of food, sometimes it was only a few bites. However, I would stop when I was hungry. I drank water when I felt hungry and if after 20 minutes I was still hungry I would eat. I was eating pretty often this way as I wasn't normally consuming a normal meal.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Several years ago, I lost weight following the Weight Watchers "Core Plan" which involves no counting of calories. I lost 50 lbs in 6 months (I had gained a bunch of weight with pregnancy and two ankle surgeries). I maintained that loss for 4 years until moving and a whole bunch of life stress led me to regain 10-15 lbs.

Basically, the "core" plan emphasizes veggies, fruits, and lean meats. You aim to eat foods that are not calorie dense but are nutritionally dense. Lots of vegetables, lean meats, most fruits. You have whole grains but only about 1 serving a day (a serving of oatmeal for breakfast or a serving of a whole grain cereal, etc...).

I tried to stick with really healthy vegetables most of the time: carrots, zucchini, broccoli, other squashes, etc... it is still part of my lifestyle.

The idea is to eat only when you are just beginning to feel hungry and only until you feel satisfied (not full). You stop eating when you stop feeling hungry.

(Hopefully this makes sense)

I incorporate this idea into my current diet but also count calories.
  • Torgrills
    Torgrills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Body For Life is a free no count program too, but you have to be able to put in the intense workouts to go hand in hand with the foods they want you to eat. It's basically lean meats, vegetables, some fruits, whole grains, limited dairy, really quality, clean eating and they run challenges in 12 week cycles with one "cheat" day per week. My sister completed the 12 weeks and looked absolutely amazing, and I've tried it myself but stupidly haven't stuck with it for the duration.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I would like to hear from people who DON'T count calories and have had significant weight loss. What is your strategy and where did you start? I am for being mindful of the quality foods (eating unprocessed foods) and staying well hydrated. I find when I count calories that I hoard calories for "just in case" that I fall short many days of my minimum calorie goal.

Also I'm tired of having my mind so wrapped up in the calorie count that I miss much of what's going on around me. If you can help with your comment I'd like to hear from you.

I totally agree with you. I think calorie counting is a great tool to get started, if you're like me and have NO IDEA how many calories different kinds of foods contain. I counted calories for the first 15 pounds of my weight loss and then lost the last 5 or so with just healthy eating and exercise, no calorie counting. I know that's not a significant weight loss but I think something much more significant COULD be done without calorie counting. If you're eating clean like you mentioned, and exercising, I feel like it's almost impossible not to be a healthy weight. Clean foods generally are low in calories anyway.
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I've tried both ways and I would have to say that is easier for me to be consistent when I don't count calories. I've done a raw food plan and lost 12 lbs which I never regained even after switching to other plans. I also lost 16 lbs on the 17 day diet plan, which rotates 17 day cycles until the desired weight loss is achieved. I'm doing Weight Watchers now and have lost 6 lbs my first week. I think the common component for success is a lifestyle that is mostly composed of "clean eating" --- unprocessed foods. I try to make sure I'm eating a fruit or vegetable with each meal or snack. I incorporate lean protein with enough fat to keep me satisfied between meals. I also snack twice a day to keep my blood sugar levels consistent and reduce cravings. I also don't focus on calories burned with exercise. I just aim to exercise at least 5 days per week and for an average of 45 mins to an hour per day. It seems to be working and I don't feel deprived. I also don't feel the need for "cheat days" because I allow myself to have a favorite food any day of the week as long as it is only a serving or less.

Hope that helps! I wish you much success on this journey!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    i love this post as i feel myself wanting to stop counting also. I'd rather just eat healthy and eliminate foods i know are not good for me. I have lost weight many times in the past doing this and also never weighing myself.

I'm starting to find that:

1. Counting calories isn't working all that great for me and keeps me focused on food too much for my liking

2. The calorie is a calorie isn't working for me either. I am not that guy on the forum who lost all his weight eating pumpkin poptarts every day. i don't have that metabolism.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have a clue on how to lose weight without tracking my intake. It sounds way too complicated to me. I gained weight by eating just a few hundred extra calories, so I'm losing weight by reversing that. math makes sense to me. "Clean" and "quality" and such as interpreted by others doesn't make sense to me. To me, quality food is food that tastes good.
  • skiersteve12345
    skiersteve12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    your making it too complicated, just count calories for each day and thats it, it hardly takes any time, however i went from 14 stone of flab to 11 stone (see pic) without counting a dam thing, i just ate a shed load of protein, decent amount of fruits and veggies and think i was low carb, but ive saved so much money by counting calories :D you dont need to buy loaaaaaaads of food :)
  • dogpeeps
    Options
    Thanks so much to you all for sharing your wisdom & experiences with me. It is confirmation of what I was thinking would be a good plan.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    My experience: About 12 years ago I was probably 200 pounds or more (didn't have a scale at the start), and got down to 175 by thoroughly revamping how I cooked and what my family ate. The changes I made:

--I never cooked red meat at home, although I would eat it in a restaurant 1-2 a year.

--I only made a chicken dish once or twice a week--the rest of the time I cooked vegetarian. Used lots of Boca and Morningstar Farms products.

--I stopped cooking in butter, and switched to olive oil.

--I never had seconds. If I was very hungry, I'd make my initial serving a little bigger. But no seconds, ever.

--I don't remember the rule for sweet treats, but I cut them way down.

--I also took the stairs, walked at lunchtime at work, brought my lunch most of the time, did exercise DVDs. Eventually, I started running, but for several years it was seasonal--I would train all winter for a May half-marathon, then stop running again until late fall/early winter to train for the next.

This got me to 175 pounds by being strict, once I started slacking off a little (more treats, less activity) I put 5-10 pounds on, staying mostly in the 180-185 range for about 10 years. Then I had a combination of things hit, got stressed out, and gained back up to 200.

So two years ago in January, I took a hard look at myself. Changing my eating habits without counting calories had worked last time...for a while. But I'd backslid a lot--over those ten years I'd reintroduced a lot of foods I'd cut, although I was still sticking to the "no red meat at home" rule. That had worked largely because we'd been broke, and most of the red meat I'd purchased was cheap and fatty. I like meat. Now, well, we could afford the leaner, more expensive cuts.

I found a calorie-counting site (that time I used MyPlate at Livestrong.com, which works very similarly to this one--two years ago I judged that MyPlate had the larger food database, now MFP seems to so I came here instead), and tracked my way to 165 pounds. I found that by paying attention to calories in and calories out, I could eat anything I liked and still lose weight--I joked to my friends that I was on the Beef n' Booze Diet. I kept the weight off, apart from seasonal gains of 5 pounds or so that sent me back to tracking until I lost them again.

Now I'm back to lose more weight--I'd like to go to 150-155. Started at 170 this time (usual post-holiday gain), have lost about 7 pounds.

To sum up, not counting calories worked for me--for a while. Counting calories, in my opinion, worked better and required fewer changes. Once I count for several months, I have a good sense of portion control. I also switched to running year-round, even in the summer, which helps maintain my weight. If I gain a few pounds, I know that tracking for a month or so will get them back off and remind me again about portions.

TL;DR version: Done 'em both, with some success. Prefer counting.