poor and fat.... help

Options
Nellie1drfl
Nellie1drfl Posts: 127 Member
With a very low weekly food budget for a family of four Im having a hard time shopping healthy. Any suggestions on cheap healthy meals breakfast, lunch or dinner? Everything I buy seems to high in carbs and sodium.

Replies

• tgaul
    tgaul Posts: 123
    Options
    I find it is cheaper to buy fresh veggies and fruit no packaged. Such as the salad mixes ect. If you watch the ads the store will have ice burg lettuce on sale for .99 cent a head that is more lettuce then a bag has. Also if you like beans and legumes you can buy bags of the dried and make them yourself. I love to make homemade beans and freeze them for other dinners. The bonus of make item yourself is you control how much sodium goes into it.
    I hope this helps and good luck on you journey!

Also eggs are good for you in moderation and you can make many things with them.
  • cotton1985
    cotton1985 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I understand that eating right is hard especially if you are cooking for a large crew who could care less! I think for the time being you should look at portion control and pay close attention to the nutrition facts on what you do eat! Make small changes that all of your family can eat and enjoy like using ground turkey cutting out pork and beef, eating frozen vegetables instead of fresh, go on the internet and google cooking healthy on a budget if you find cook books or reading material rent them at the local library! Eating healthy is expensive but I do not think that it is impossible to do it on a budget!

Good Luck
  • WonderNoodle
    WonderNoodle Posts: 549
    Options
    Cheerios or oatmeal are great breakfasts to start the day and are low $$!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Kraft foods site has healthy living budget recipes.
    http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/healthy-living/healthyliving.aspx
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I second the dried beans--easy to make, just let them soak overnight and they're ready to cook. There's tons of recipes online for using beans, *and* they're a great source of (cheap) protein. Also, you can bulk-buy a lot of veggies that keep well (onions, carrots, celery) that can provide a flavour base for things like homemade soup, and lettuce is pretty cheap if you look for the deals.

Good luck!
  • unknownndoll
    unknownndoll Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    i buy generic oatmeal, eggs, milk, frozen broccoli, apples, bananas, green beans, cheese, generic lunch meat, cheese, 45 calorie sara lee multi grain bread, peanut butter, thomas 100 calorie english muffins, carrots, grapes, chicken - large pack and cut it myself and bag and freeze it in portion sizes, lettus, dressing, string cheese, im sure there is more. All are relativly inexpensive compared to some diet foods, plus they are whole foods and better for you. I am trying to stay away from "diet foods" and granola bars and packaged foods like that.
  • joany
    joany Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    For Breakfast: Oatmeal is not expensive and is good for you. Or, try the bagged cereal for your kids.
    For Lunch: Make homemade soups with beans, bagged rice, and vegetables. There are recipes on the back of the bean packages.
    For Supper: Buy Chicken thighs - these are on sale often. If they have the skin on, take a paper towel and pull the skin off.
    For Snacks: Buy celery and carrots - peel and slice yourself.
    For Drinks: Slice lemon and lime and put in ice water.
    You really can cook healty and inexpensively when you make your own food. Google healthy, frugal cooking.
    Good luck to you!
  • sempernova
    sempernova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i buy oatmeal and brown rice from the bulk bins...it's cheap and filling! The days I have oatmeal for breakfast I'm not hungry again until late afternoon!
  • KiriKiriKiri
    KiriKiriKiri Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I think it's a crime that healthy living/eating is more expensive than processed foods!!! It is cheaper to buy packaged and foods that are not as nutritious, but sometimes you have to do what you need to do, financially...boy do I understand that!

Start with coupons, if you haven't already :) Bargain markets are great too! Do you have a Trader Joe's near you??? They are SUPERB for low prices and great, wholesome foods.

Eggs. Tuna. Dried beans. Brown rice. You can stock up on this stuff when it's on sale and it's relatively cheap and can last. Eggs last far beyond the exp date. Oatmeal is great... I buy plain oatmeal in the bulk container (because it is cheaper than the individual packages and healthier) and then I just slice up apple chunks, sprinkle with cinnamon or even throw in some pear slices, dried blueberries..etc. Do you have a bread maker? I buy sprouted whole wheat bread for myself and my son, and then I make homemade bread for my daughter and husband because the two of them go through so much and I find it is cheaper that way! That is one option to save...

It's tough being a parent and trying to eat healthy on a tight budget.... hang in there!!! Keep up the good work!
  • Nellie1drfl
    Nellie1drfl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Great advice, making a grocerie list tomorow! Feel free to add me as a freind could use the support! Thanks!
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Its also on how you prepare your food. Bake the chicken, bake the porkchops. Bake the potatoes and you can still have a bit of fat free cheese and sour cream with low calories. Avoid butter and if you must use oil use olive oil.
    The best money saver? Measuring your food. I'm always amazed how a small bag of shredded cheese can last a week and a half, when before, the HUGE bag lasted less than a week!! Measuring out the food and eating proper portions is a HUGE money saver!
    If you use Cellfire for coupons in your local area that will help you save some moola as well.
  • 4kidsmom45
    4kidsmom45 Posts: 2
    Options
    There are websites that have ideas for frugal cooking. NO packaged food. Plan ahead. Buy the best cuts of meat in the largest packages. Is there a food pantry in your area? You can get some staples there. Don't feel ashamed. Just do the best you can.
  • clswinehart
    clswinehart Posts: 11
    Options
    I agree about the cheerios. I eat a cup of that with 1/2 cup of skim milk every morning for breakfast. It's cheap and I have no problem with my cholestoerol. It is one of the best eating choices I have made and the most consistent as well.
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I second Trader Joes! They have great fruit for a fraction of the price of Whole Foods and some times i actually find it better! Their cheeses are actually very inexpensive, too! Trader Joe's also has some great frozen fish (they have a salmon filet with filling that rocks for 2.99 and it's a VERY heathy sized portion).

I find that I grocery store at multiple stores to get what I need. I will buy the things that are reliable and cheapest at Trader Joe's and Shaws (i won't drink tap water, but stock up on 2.5 gallon water jugs. Cheaper at Shaws). Then I save the "fancy" stuff for Whole Foods ...i.e. "treating" myself to some nice fresh, wild Salmon, etc. that is more expensive, but is very healthy. Whole Foods has their 365 brand that is fairly inexpensive and on sale quite a lot. I tend to stock up on things when they are on sale.

Like dieting and weight loss, it takes more planning, but it works! I don't eat any processed foods, etc. and really the "100 calorie" snack packs that are popular are a waste of money & calories! I but the snack sized baggies from Walmart and make my own 100 calorie snacks after I go grocery shopping by washing and dividing up all of my fruit, etc. Here are more 100 calorie snack ideas:

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/guide/best-100-calorie-snacks
  • mram81
    mram81 Posts: 15
    Options
    Local farmer's markets are the best place to shop. Everything is more fresh, grown locally and a lot cheaper than grocery stores (even Wal-mart). Dried and frozen foods in grocery stores are usually cheaper and actually have more nutrients in them than the "fresh" stuff that sits in a storage facility until it ripens. If the product is immediately frozen, frozen good maintain the nutrients that
    they had when picked already ripe. Strawberries are really cheap this year!
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Making things from scratch is often much less expensive. In addition, making things with similar ingredients helps. There are a number of website with low budget healthy meal plans. Ill compile the few I have saved and repost them. I agree with the oatmeal :) I buy the big container and add my own raisins and sweeten with honey. My kids love it!

Also wanted to add I LOVE TJ's! I buy 90% of my food there!

http://www.frugalmom.net/blog/category/in-the-kitchen/frugal-recipes/
    http://www.frugalmom.net/frugal_menus.htm

http://www.betterbudgeting.com/frugalrecipelist.htm

http://kellythekitchenkop.com/2009/03/nourishing-frugal-healthy-meals.html

There was a great site where you entered the fruit or veggie and it generated a meal less than $5 to make. I couldn't find it though :/
  • erincraig
    erincraig Posts: 10
    Options
    Eat one vegetarian meal a week to help cut your meat cost. Grow a garden for veggies in the summer, learn to can for winter. If you don't have enough yard to plant a garden plant in containers. Seeds are super cheap! I have found that when you cut all the snacks out you will save the most money. You will find that you get fuller on the fresh foods and won't need to buy as much food overall. All that prepackaged stuff just doesn't hold you over so you have to eat lots more of it! Good luck!
  • lyndsloo
    lyndsloo Posts: 242
    Options
    I have a very low weekly budget.

Breakfast: Eggs, yogurt, bananas, cereal

Lunch: Tuna, cheese and crackers, peanut butter, frozen fruit

Snack: popcorn (cheap, makes a ton, and is quite healthy),

Dinner: Chicken breast (buy in bulk), pork chops, veggies (especially broccoli, squash) baked ziti (using whole grain pasta, chunky pasta sauce, and a sprinkle of cheese)

Dessert: Frozen fruit (VERY CHEAP!) w/ a dab of whip cream

These are the meals I prepare on a weekly basis and my budget is VERY LOWWWW! I've also puree'd veggies and hidden them in different meals. My boyfriend and sister's kids NEVER even knew.
  • alphaip
    alphaip Posts: 86
    Options
    I try to work in a good carb and lean protein for every meal (5 smaller meals a day). The carbs can be pretty cheap - rice, beans, oatmeal, boiled red potatoes (served cold with salt/pepper or a bit of mustard)

The protein gets expensive. The cheapest is egg whites. You can still get a dozen eggs for a buck, so 4 egg whites is about 40 cents. If you get creative, you can prepare them as omelets, french toast (just once a week w/ sugar free syrup), mixed in with rice and beans.

Also, I buy chicken breast when it's $1.99 pound or less, otherwise I stick to eggs or get albacore tuna on sale. Good Luck.
  • QTi1
    QTi1 Posts: 3
    Options
    First of All avoid SOME brand name products... Most grocery stores( can't name) actually have the price broken down to price per ounce/ or whatever measurement.. LOOOOKK at that, it will open your eyes.. Most people get caught up in BRAND loyalty, but most situations require you to ditch the pretty label of happiness and buy according to your nutritional goals.

If your stuck on convenience for BREAKFAST - a simple egg muffin

You can buy this at most of your local retail stores (CHEAP), its a microwavable egg cooker (in the cooking ware isles) its AMAZing! .
    Add egg, scramble or not to scramble, whites or whole, add a little Ms.Dash, even onion, pimentos and in 1 minute and you have a egg in your muffin. (just add the Turkey bacon and fixings) good alternative for a quick breakfast , important meal to get you through the day. Less calories than your average breakfast sandwich, plus if you have a family its more cost effective. 'if you add all the additionals like gas money and quality of time..(would you rather huff gasoline fumes in a drive thru or spend 10 minutes of quality time making someones day, especially yours!