Exercise -- help???

Options
Okay, so I'm looking for ways to increase exercise into my life and utilize great tips to keeping on track with my diet.

My goals are:

In 15 to 24 months -- go from 255 lbs to 155 lbs (realistic?)

Change my eating habits -- no more soda, fast food, or junk food

Edit my eating habits -- eat more vegetables, fruits, salads, necessary carbs, and necessary fats (no more TRANS!)

Change my exercise routines -- go from sedentary or lightly active to active

Edit my exercise routines -- Walk at least 90 minutes a day, utilize cardiovascular and strength training, yoga, toning, and any other forms of exercise at least 2-5 times a week.

Unfortunately, I don't have the money to join the gym, and I can't go out and buy a whole bunch of exercise tools, workout DVDs, and HRM's to keep myself motivated with exercise. So I'm curious if there are online workout videos, channels, and tools to find online. Maybe even apps to download into an iPod touch? I want to try and limit as much money being spent as possible, and I know there are YouTube videos, blogs, and even instructions on going through exercise and increasing it.

So I turned to the community of MFP. For those who know what I'm going through or can relate, or even those who are successful in their routines, what would you suggest? I'm open minded and looking for all options here to increase my exercise and to find some exercise online that is either free or very inexpensive. Even workout DVD's and routines and instructions that you can find online if anyone can suggest them. Would be greatly helpful.

Replies

• ericafaye6988
    ericafaye6988 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I recently got a Jillian Michaels DVD, $10 a walmart. But these podcasts are free for the C25K program.

http://www.c25k.com/podcasts.htm

I also went to Aldi last night and got some wrist/ankle and walking weights for $10. Plus, I got an exercise ball for $7.99.

You also could hit up craigslist or thrift stores for second hand stuff.

Plenty of options for us broke chicks :)
  • ericadawn92
    ericadawn92 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Are you a university student? At my school we have free use of the rec department which is like a full gym and weight room which is soooo nice. I would be lost without it.

But if you don't have access to free awesome facilities, then my advice would be to try out a couch to 5k app - they're not more than $0.99 or $1.99, and you can run anywhere! :) To work your muscles -- look up body weight exercises on youtube. It's sooo easy to just do some situps and pushups every day. And you can do lunges and squats. And probably lots of other things too! That's what I did in addition to my cardio workouts before I started lifting, and every little bit makes a difference!

I think the most important thing with exercise is getting into a routine that works for YOU and that YOU enjoy. It's going to be different for everyone. For me, I like things to be mostly the same every week, so I have an extremely structured routine that I try to follow very closely (alternating lifting & cardio days for 6 days a week and one rest day). Having a routine also motivates you to get up and go even when you don't want to, because it becomes part of your lifestyle -- it's just something natural that you do, just like you'd sleep or eat.

I also think it helps a LOT if you're able to work out in the morning before you do anything else. Obviously, not everyone's schedules allow this, but tryyy to make it work if possible. You'll feel so much more energized the rest of the day, and you'll be proud of yourself for getting up and working! Last semester I couldn't workout every morning because of my class schedule, but the mornings I could, I did. This semester I don't have class before 10:10 any day, so even though I couuuld sleep in, I force myself to get up by 6:30 to work out. And every day, I'm glad that I do. I also make an effort not to be up/out too late on Friday nights cause I always try to be at the gym for my workout by 9 on Saturday morning. Sundays are my rest day :)

Since we're already friends on here, I'd love to help keep you motivated! You got this girl!!
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    You can youtube the 30 day shred for free, and use cans of soup if you don't have small weights. The 90 minutes of walking really is a great amount. If you just tweak it with a challenge, like the 30 day shred, you may not need to do much more. Good luck!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Check out your local library for DVDs and books with fitness ideas. Also, use YouTube.

Find a park in your area with a fitness course - you walk/ run a path and there are stations with exercises.

Get a used bike.