Itching feeling while jogging

Options
Does anybody feel itchy while jogging? What causes this? Something I can do to prevent it? I'm a novice jogger.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    My daughter used to say the "jiggly" bits would itch when she ran, usually referring to her belly fat. Compression shorts and shirt can help with that.
  • dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    My wife used to complain about her legs itching whenever we would jog. However since we haven't been jogging (just walking) it hasn't been an issue.

It was a fairly common occurence back when it was happening and apparently was more than a little irritating.

I'm very curious if this is common and if there is an explanation and a cure or way of dealing with it.

Hopefully somebody will chime in...
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I find my legs itch when I go running up by my thighs but I have since realised it's where my clothes had gotten loose and they were rubbing against my legs when I ran, causing it to give a strange sensation. I notice it more in the cold.
    Try to wear fitted clothes?
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I used to get this---became unbearably itchy on my legs when I was doing light jogging or walking. I noticed that it seemed to happen only if the weather was cool or cold outside, and if I jogged harder I got less itchy. Since I've been only jogging at the gym on a treadmill or on the track for the last few months, I haven't noticed it at all and honestly forgot about it completely. I would be very curious to hear if compression shorts work for you.
  • fatgirljessica
    Options
    My husband (who has no jiggle by any means) itches whenever he sweats. He'll even get hives from it. No idea what to do about it.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I get this sometimes, its more like a prickly feeling. I'd like to know what it is...

Could it be poor circulation?
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    This is very common. Drink more water before you begin and have frequent water breaks.
    You might be helped by an over-the-counter antihistamine--some people are.
  • orangelobster
    Options
    Are you wearing the same clothes each time whist jogging? If so, maybe you have an allergy to lycra or whatever you are wearing.
    Also try a second rinse on your workout clothes - get the soap out.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    It is related to the increased blood flow. For me, it only happens in cooler to cold weather and I can get rid of it by being consistent, evidently my body adjusts to it.
  • never124get
    Options
    I get this sometimes, its more like a prickly feeling. I'd like to know what it is...

Could it be poor circulation?

I get that sometimes too, strange.

My boyfriend is actually ALLERGIC to his sweat! He takes medication though that makes life easier for him, sometimes he does get hives though. He explained it as a prickling annoying feeling all over because it was an allergic reaction, but I've never broken out into hives from this...
  • joyzeejay
    joyzeejay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I was told by a track runner whose coach told her that it was the increased circulation (blood flow and oxygen) getting to the fat cells that normally aren't used to the activity/stimulation. I don't know if that's true or not. I know that it would only happen when I hadn't been running/active for a long time and when I started back to it, I'd itch all over my body but especially my hips, butt and thighs. Now, it doesn't happen at all.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    This is very common. Drink more water before you begin and have frequent water breaks.
    You might be helped by an over-the-counter antihistamine--some people are.

This works for me
  • czardastx
    czardastx Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    In warmer and hot weather I tend to sweat a good bit when jogging. I would get real itchy just before my sweat started to kick in. I do know that I would take an antihistamine 1/2 before I ran and I wouldn't have that problem. It does go away as soon as I start to sweat, but getting to that point was very uncomfortable. So, I'd just take the antihistamine and not worry about itching.
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    It is related to the increased blood flow. For me, it only happens in cooler to cold weather and I can get rid of it by being consistent, evidently my body adjusts to it.
    ^^ This exactly.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    My husband (who has no jiggle by any means) itches whenever he sweats. He'll even get hives from it. No idea what to do about it.

You can try doing a double rinse when you do the laundry and skip the fabric softener when you wash his exercise clothes. I was getting hives on my chest and neck when I would do a hard workout and sweat heavily. I think it's because my pores would open up and the chemical/perfumes would get in. I also have to use a deodorant that's unscented or I get hives in my armpits when I work out.

As for the itching while jogging, I used to itch a lot until I got into better shape. I'm not sure whether it has to do with sweating or just the fact that my body was getting really warm. It doesn't happen anymore.
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I got this all the time when I use to do a lot of cardio on Wii git free run....bothered me a lot. Not sure what causes it.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one, Sometimes it feels like there is a bug crawling on my ankle.
  • dxtra30
    dxtra30 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Cool! Thanks for replies. It was cold and slightly rainy today in low 40's. Also did drink water before I left. I"ll try the other ideas as well.
    Thank you all for responding.
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Sweat is a waste product. When you sweat, you're releasing stuff your body doesn't want, stuff that you may be sensitive to. I often break out in hives (mainly on my thighs) when I do anything that makes me sweat, part of my hyper-sensitive nature. The more I have been to narrow down my allergies and sensitivities, the less these kinds of reactions happen. Taking a Claritin before I workout helps, but the best thing I've done has been to eliminate my triggers (gluten dairy, soy, msg). Now I rarely have itching unless I run during ragweed season :-)
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I was told by a track runner whose coach told her that it was the increased circulation (blood flow and oxygen) getting to the fat cells that normally aren't used to the activity/stimulation. I don't know if that's true or not. I know that it would only happen when I hadn't been running/active for a long time and when I started back to it, I'd itch all over my body but especially my hips, butt and thighs. Now, it doesn't happen at all.

Probably depends on whether it is coming from "inside" the fat or lean tissue---or on the surface (skin irritation). I get a strange prickly, itchy sensation inside the fat deposits on my thighs, hips and abdomen when I'm working hard in the pool--especially, later in the session (I do pool exercise because I have arthritis). I assume that it is what you have noted, the activation of fat stores for fueling the exercise. I also get very thirsty and when I leave the pool, I'm always surprised by the amount of urine that I dump (and I go to the washroom just before entering the pool--yeah, I know--TMI). A vet once told me that mammals who are using their fat stores for energy in cold weather, have an increased need for water and that they will urinate more than normal. I suspect that this is what is going on here. So this is a good thing.

Many people get skin irritation from sweat and I have heard that Vitamin C cream helps a lot with that--you put it on after you shower. Clothes can cause chafing which can be remedied by getting better clothing. There are clothes designed for minimizing chafing.