does it really even matter ?

Options
so, i was treadmilling the other day, and thinking and wondering if weight on your HRMs really matter..my weight fluctuates like crazy, and more often than not, i forget to adjust my weight in my watch..does the weight you enter REALLY matter and make a difference on your burns ??

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    It does matter, but a few pounds don't have much effect. You should probably update it every ten pounds or so.
  • Laf4208
    Options
    I would say it matters if it is under or over by 10 lbs. I recently gained back 10 lbs that I had lost and adjusted my HRM. I now notice if I do the same exercise/similar intensity, I burn 20-30 calories more w/the new heavier weight. I'm not excited about the extra calorie burn bc I know why I am getting the higher results :( I love my HRM and I just have a basic Polar watch. What brand do you have? Do you like it?
  • freeradicals
    Options
    Agreed. It does matter, but not a massive amount.

Simply put, the heavier you are, the more weight your body has to carry and the more calories it has to burn to do so.

Concordancia's advice is good. Don't change it every day, just change it after a reasonable weight gain or weight loss. 10 pounds sounds good to me.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    A correct weight in your HRM definately is needed.

I update mine every 10lbs. Sure, you don't need to update it daily but I would update every 5-10lbs so it is accurate. Your calorie burns are based on math based on the numbers you enter. If you weight 20lbs less now than you did when you set up your HRM you are thinking you are burning more calories than you really are.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    thanks all..its usually only up or down by 2 or 3 lbs, but its very constantly changing..but lately i have been holding two 3 pound weights, so should i adjust my weight up 6 pounds ? maybe i will try it just to see..:smile: